Looking for suggestions on outdoor LED motion/security lights

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wanting to add a few LED motion lights around the house for security purposes and general lighting when taking the dog out at night. I definitely want LED as compared to halogen/incan as some of them will be mounted pretty high and I don't want to be going up the ladder changing bulbs any more than necessary.

I'll say this upfront, I'm a tint snob. There, that's out of the way. It seems that many of them I look at are very high color temp (~6000-6500K) and CRI's are lower than I'd like. Does it really matter? No. But I'd prefer the grass look green and the trees look brown when the lights come on, not some hideous pale blue.

I don't want a bunch of stupid crap like bluetooth and adjustable color temp. Those just seem useless and a waste of money.

I should be able to get away with 180deg sensors with the placements I'm thinking of, but may want one 270deg.

Any suggestions?

I was just looking at this and it seemed ok, just looking for any other suggestions members may have seen or used:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant...-Outdoor-Security-Light-DFI-5983-WH/205937583

Thanks!

brickbat

Enlightened
If I was a tint snob, I'd avoid no-name LEDs and 82CRI.

Why not get a fixture that accepts PAR38's and pop in some SORAA or similar 90+ CRI lamps in whatever CCT you prefer?

bandits1

Newly Enlightened
^^^Agree with brickbat. Get an old-school incandescent motion-detection security light fixture and retro in some LED PAR38 bulbs. Then you'll have a MUCH wider range of choices in CCT, CRI, beam angle and brightness. Plus, if the bulb fails prematurely you can just change it out instead of having to call an electrician to replace the entire fixture. 90+ CRI PAR38 LED bulbs are easy to find now and just about the same price as lower CRI(80-85 CRI) bulbs.

Last edited: