The State of the Custom Flashlight Market

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today's topic is the state of the custom flashlight market. I'll be covering what you need to understand purchasing a custom flashlight, the current problem with the custom flashlight market, and what I'd like to see going forward. I do think that a lot of what I've got to say today is applicable to the EDC game in general, but I'd rather not get too broad and would prefer keep the discussion within the scope of a niche I'm knowledgeable about.

I'll probably make a video covering this topic on my YouTube channel (please check it out if you get the chance!) but not as in-depth. I know that this is a pretty controversial topic, and I'm open to other interpretations - this is just mine.

What You Need to Know

Foremost, let's talk about what you need to know going into custom flashlights. I say "custom flashlights" but I'm just speaking about expensive flashlights in general. To put things into perspective, there are many flashlights out there that will run you well over a grand. Very few makers will design you a truly custom flashlight from the ground up, and most custom flashlights are custom in the sense that you have a small say in the components, hardware, and finish that goes into the torch. For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to refer to them collectively as custom flashlights.

The first thing you need to understand about the custom world is that you're not necessarily paying for peak functional performance. By function, I mean the components themself that generate the light. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but I've said it before and I'll say it again here: It would be better to think of many custom flashlights as functional jewelry. A good number of these flashlights will easily run you a grand because the money isn't in the function so much as it is in the craftsmanship and materials used. Custom makers use a variety of metals in flashlights such as titanium, copper, brass, and even more exotic metals like mokume gane and damascus. Clearly these aren't the most practical choices of metal for a flashlight, but they're desirable because of their unique properties, be it functional or aesthetic. Likewise, custom makers put a level of detail in the machining and assembly of their flashlights that isn't even comparable to production flashlights.

There are numerous budget flashlights that are functionally on par with or superior to custom flashlights. In fact, the budget flashlight world is synonymous with pushing the envelope in terms of not only cost, but also functionality. This is a stark disparity with the vast majority of products that emphasize upon the former but not the latter. It's also an issue with the custom flashlight world that I'll elaborate on later.

In essence, custom flashlights appeal to consumers that appreciate something that's been handcrafted with the utmost attention to detail. In this respect, custom flashlight makers are quite literally artisans of machining and aesthetic design. A good majority of people are shocked by the cost of a custom flashlight, and to them I always make the apt comparison to the watch world or any niche hobby, really, to which the same holds true. If you just want a flashlight that can produce light then you should be looking at budget and production flashlights. Conversely, if you want an heirloom-quality tool that'll last a lifetime, maybe you should consider a custom flashlight. A custom flashlight is certainly not for everyone, and that holds true for any luxury product.

The Problem with the Custom World

Now that I've gone over what I think one needs to understand going into the custom flashlight market, let's talk about the current problem with it. I'm going to address what I believe to be the elephant in the room: The utter lack of innovation and the perpetuation of the same, much-copied designs.

I know that I'm overgeneralizing when I say this, but there's two types of custom flashlights, those that use a single-emitter and those that use a triple-LED setup. The former is the traditional orientation that pretty much everyone - even your average joe - is aware of. The latter is an orientation that was pioneered in late 2010 by Mac's Customs. In case you were wondering, Mac's Customs is not longer in business, and went rogue after stealing his customers' money. Regardless, the triple orientation was extremely progressive at the time because 1) it looked wicked cool, and 2) it allowed for much more output and flood which are apt for EDC. The format was largely dead for a while after Mac Customs absconded, but was picked back up shortly after which resulted in the so-called "triple craze". This became the predominant orientation in the custom market, and still is to this day although the craze has died down somewhat.

To echo a sentiment I made earlier, the custom flashlight market is truly a niche one. Believe me when I say that there are people with collections easily worth tens of thousands of dollars. And as with any lucrative market, there are makers who want in. Custom makers know that the aforementioned people will buy whatever they pump out as long as it's quality craftsmanship, and they prey upon this foible. They have little incentive to innovate, and we've definitely seen the results. There's been so many new companies and makers in the last few years pumping out the same, tired components with a new, fancy host that I've lost count. Although I would posit that the triple market has slowed somewhat, it's definitely still preeminent. This is predicated most by the insanely inflated secondary market values of torches from certain custom makers. It's this vicious cycle that has led to the disparity between custom flashlights and budget flashlights that I highlighted earlier.

Budget flashlights have progressively gotten better - and functionally superior - to custom flashlights, and the simple answer to that is because they have competition. To draw a more understandable historical analogy, all we need to do is look at the Cold War which pit capitalism against communism. Simply put, budget light manufacturers have incentive to innovate. Their target consumer base isn't willing to buy their flashlights unless they introduce new functions and improved components. I won't deny that this has led to many a useless gimmick such as overtly programmable drivers, but budget flashlights have beget many a diamond in the rough. It's sad that the same can't be said nearly as much for custom flashlights in the last few years. Sure, there's been exceptions, but they are far and few between.

It's not my intention to marginalize custom makers and custom flashlights. There's nothing wrong with selling a quality product and capitalizing on a lucrative market. And I'm well aware that there are many exceptions to what I've said, but I'm looking at the market and trends I've seen holistically. On that note, I also want to talk about shifts in the consumer base.

The consumer base, and custom flashlight makers in general, have migrated from the forums that used to dominate the hobby: These forums were called CandlePowerForums and BudgetLightForums. The forums reflected the parallel between more expensive, custom flashlights and budget flashlights respectively. And collectively, they represented - and more than ever do they - concerted, thoughtful discussion on flashlights. While both still do exist as avenues of discussion for hobbyists, they are less active than ever, and the hobby has shifted to social media platforms.

Social media is exemplified most by its fast pace, constant updates, and instant gratification. There is no doubt that it has connected flashlight connoisseurs and EDC enthusiasts around the globe more so than the traditional, aforementioned forums ever could, but it has also left a new type of consumer in its wake. And this isn't the good type of consumer. This is the consumer that has the money, but doesn't have the basic knowledge to understand the product they're purchasing. This is the type of consumer that asks the most mundane of questions that they could find the answer to if they'd just taken a few moments to do a quick search. This is the type of consumer that begets drama because their new, fancy custom flashlight stops working and they don't understand what a mode lockout is. Such consumers detract from the hobby as a whole, and in fact perpetuate the vicious cycle that I outlined earlier.

Once again, I am speaking in general terms. The good majority of flashlight enthusiasts I've conversed with on social media are extremely knowledgeable about the hobby - more so than myself in many cases, I might add - and conduct themselves in an admirable manner. It's the few outliers that have really ruined the experience for me. While social media has certainly brought merits to the custom flashlight world, it's also brought many new issues. Don't even get me started on the amount of scammers its gave a new avenue to.

What I'd Like to See

At this point, I hope I've outlined my general concerns with the state of the custom flashlight world. What it needs right now is a lot more innovation, and in a way, it needs to find its roots. As it stands, the custom flashlight market has mostly turned into glorified flashlight jewelry. I'm not saying that that's necessarily a bad thing, and in fact, I like that the niche exists. It's brought many new people into the hobby and gave way to a whole new market segment. But the custom market also needs to see more progression on the opposite end of the spectrum, function.

In the end, the consumer base will dictate what happens in the custom flashlight world. As more of the same, much-copied designs are released by new makers it'll eventually lead to market saturation. People won't buy as many of their products or will tire of them altogether; this phenomenon is known as diminishing returns. As a result, some of these makers will realize that the competition isn't worth it and drop out of the game. And if they don't drop out, they'll have to innovate if they want to stay in the game. That's the simple nature of supply and demand, and I look forward to seeing where it takes the custom flashlight market.

All in all, I hope you guys found this write-up informative. To piggyback on what I was saying earlier about the new type of consumer that social media has beget, I really think that it comes down to being educated about the conventions of the market. By making more consumers cognizant of the role they play in the custom market, we can effectively shape the market for better, more innovative flashlights.

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice write up :thumbsup:

Now that I've gone over what I think one needs to understand going into the custom flashlight market, let's talk about the current problem with it. I'm going to address what I believe to be the elephant in the room: The utter lack of innovation and the perpetuation of the same, much-copied designs.

It´s funny to see your post since it´s pretty much what I was thinking lately. Great design & machining skills, usually a triple (which I do like a lot) but no innovation anymore. When I think about McGizmo for example, I think about the Piston Drive, both Sundrops, his McR reflectors, the McClicky, the Hive....... Nowadays lights like the Emisars and Fireflies have very interesting features the custom world unfortunatelly mostly lacks.

Eric

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great read sir, I think you've covered the subject fairly well, and the custom market has become by and large, various models of lights with the same beam pattern, the Carclo triple optics. Out of the 20 makers I can currently think of, 15 of them are making triples.

Unfortunately as long as the large influx of converts from other gear hobbies keeps buying flashy colored triples, the incentive to innovate is simply not there for most of the custom makers, which is detrimental in the meantime but hopefully brings enough people into the hobby to eventually drive demand for innovation on the tail end of the triple trend.

I don't personally have much capacity or resources to develop new parts for potential design paths so I've been limited to what is readily available at the moment. Since I became fed up with triples I moved to producing single reflector builds with what reflectors I can get ahold of, and exploring some different pathways with reflector builds and smaller cells as well.

14500 w/McR-18S, 18500 w/McR-20S
g1UP6VI.jpg

Front 5 are mine, L-->R 10440 w/McR-16, 3 14500s w/McR-18s, and 18500 w/McR-20S
D1vbRrl.jpg

About the only maker I've been really excited about this year is Benjamin of Frelux lights, his introduction of his Synergy has been a welcome change from seeing a new triple maker pop up every month or two, and a welcome addition in my favorite category, the SxS format. For those who aren't acquainted, the Synergy is an excellent side by side AAA light that is nicely machined and exquisitely anodized, with an ambidextrous clip or lanyard attachment that is custom made and quite affordable, especially compared to the only other real light in the SxS category (IMO no good compact production SxS light currently exists). The FML project is more of task-light oriented project but is something to look forward to and hopefully we'll see more excellent work from him.

A Synergy in clear ano.
FHGK3fr.jpg

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only had a chance to skim the read but it seems pretty accurate. I'll have to go back and read it thoroughly later tonight.

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Conversely, if you want an heirloom-quality tool that'll last a lifetime, maybe you should consider a custom flashlight.

What makes an item an heirloom-quality? A furniture blog I read stated "Heirloom quality is of such high quality that one's great grandchildren may enjoy it." Seems to me that by that definition, heirloom-quality is not limited to custom flashlights. If anything, custom flashlights with their highly complex (relatively) electronics are not necessarily heirloom-quality. The craftsmanship is certainly there, but I would think simple is better in this context. I'd bet that a flashlight with a simple UI like a SF 6P with a Malkoff drop-in will last long after a custom flashlight's electronics has gone wonky.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

What makes an item an heirloom-quality? A furniture blog I read stated "Heirloom quality is of such high quality that one's great grandchildren may enjoy it." Seems to me that by that definition, heirloom-quality is not limited to custom flashlights. If anything, custom flashlights with their highly complex (relatively) electronics are not necessarily heirloom-quality. The craftsmanship is certainly there, but I would think simple is better in this context. I'd bet that a flashlight with a simple UI like a SF 6P with a Malkoff drop-in will last long after a custom flashlight's electronics has gone wonky.

An interesting point, I'd say you can get high quality of fit and finish or "heirloom" as you might call something of fine quality compared to an average item of the type, but longevity of any LED flashlight is limited depending on the initial quality of the electronic components in the drivers, a couple decades at best I would guess? for better quality components and leaded solder, shorter lifespan with lead-free solder, and even shorter and more random with lower quality components. Truthfully aside from fragility and concern of replacement bulbs, an incandescent flashlight with a sturdy high quality host would likely be the longest lived. The other problem of that equation is power source of course. All that aside, the longest lived LED flashlights will be those that initially well made, but accessible for modification and upgrading as technology evolves to the extent that we can loosely guess at trends or make designs open to modification

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great read sir, I think you've covered the subject fairly well, and the custom market has become by and large, various models of lights with the same beam pattern, the Carclo triple optics. Out of the 20 makers I can currently think of, 15 of them are making triples.

Thanks Devin! Although I must confess I've always wanted one of your triples, I respect your decision to move to single-emitter flashlights, and your work is of the highest quality.

What makes an item an heirloom-quality?

That's a good question, and I did use the word sort of vaguely. I didn't expect it to be taken literally though, lol! I think that the host of most custom flashlights are certainly of heirloom quality in the sense that they will last long enough to pass down to your grandchildren. Modern solid-state electronics are pretty reliable even without potting, provided the components are of good quality. That said, they probably won't outlast the host itself. But it's as easy as swapping in a new pill in most custom flashlights in that event.

Nice write up :thumbsup:

Eric

Thanks!

SWE

Newly Enlightened
I did use the word sort of vaguely. I didn't expect it to be taken literally though, lol! I think that the host of most custom flashlights are certainly of heirloom quality in the sense that they will last long enough to pass down to your grandchildren.

Part of what heirloom quality (to me) means is repairable. I have a SureFire UB3T which might have been top of the line at some point is now suffering as a flickering, dim, dusty glorified 123 sleeve.. Picking a random "custom" I happen to own a DC1 is effectively a modular design. Everything is user serviceable including the main "guts" being the driver. Kudos to designs which achieve both quality and ability to repair. That helps ensure a longer lifespan.

sygyzy

Enlightened
This is honestly one of the most well written and well thought out recaps of the state of the custom flashlight market I have ever read. I don't think anyone else has put it so eloquently and argued as effectively about the, both, exciting and dismal state of affairs. As a participant in this and other niche hobbies, I am really torn. I don't have loads of disposable income and the logical side of me says that X light is just "another" triple and I already have 4 of basically the same light (18350, triple Nichia, Carlco optics, H17F, McClicky) so why am I spending hundreds of dollars on another one? And yet, I still do. So far I've kept myself from pulling the trigger on lights over a certain value I arbitrarily set but I see that the makers have absolutely no issue selling them. At this point, I feel like custom makers, especially those that already have their CNC paths programmed, are practically printing money. They sell out reliably and every auction, raffle, or regular drop is gone in minutes.

I don't fault makers for entering the space or maximizing their profits in them but I'd prefer if they accept and admit their role. Some of them choose to puff their chests as if they are revolutionizing the industry with their lights.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice recap.

I haven't followed social media so can't comment on how active it is there, but I have noticed that there are very few posts by custom flashlight manufacturers here and pretty much none on BLF. In terms of post-activity, CPF has definitely dropped off over the years. So much so that in terms of "posts per hour", I think BLF is quite a bit more active and has been for some time.

I agree that the "premium" flashlight market seems to be almost entirely focused on making nice-looking hosts. The actual components that go into them seem quite tired and wouldn't stand out at all if put into a budget host.

The technical innnovation mostly seems to be happening in the budget market and the mid-range consumer market. Some notable budget or midrange manufacturers in recent years:

* Emisar - Emisar started with D4, which could put out 4300 lumens from a ridiculously tiny package and it had a great ramping UI. Available in a wide variety of emitters with a number of anodizing choices. Also available in copper-titanium. Since then, Emisar has come out with a 26650 model (D4S) , and some compact throwers (D1 and D1S). Innovation has continued with the addition of Lexel's aux LED board in the latest model.

* Imalent - Some of their lights have been hit and miss, but they are technically innnovative. Earlier Imalent models featured touchscreen displays. They had one model with variable color temperature controlled by touchscreen. More recently, they have focused on making giant lumen monsters with ridiculous output.

* Zebralight - Known for making superbly designed and very compact EDC lights. They've only gotten better over the years and have continued to come out with new evolutionary designs. A great blend of compactness, top-notch thermal management, efficient buck-boost driver, and great UI. Probably more capable and practical for EDC than almost any "custom" premium light.

* Fireflies - a new manufacturer still going through growing pains and some quality-control issues. However, their latest light, the E07 is quite innovative. A single-cell 21700 light that in stock configuration can output almost 7000 lumens! Innovations include a 1cm thick shelf for the star, Toykeeper's Anduril UI, Lexel's AUX bezel LED board, a lighted switch, very deep heatsink fins, and clear anodizing. Fairly compact at 187g including the weight of the cell.

* Nitecore - an established mid-range manufacturer that continues to come out with innovative designs like the TM10K with a burst 10,000 lumen mode, or the TUP - a small pocket light with an Oled display. Nitecore comes out with a lot of designs in a relatively small period of time. For example: a couple years ago they came out with the Concept 1, in which they tried a stylish "lever action" switch that was roundly criticized (it was too easy to accidentally activate). In recent months, Nitecore came out with a successor to the Concept 1 that looks very similar except the switch is changed to something more practical.

* Acebeam - another established mid-range manufacturer coming out with innovative products like the EC65 and UC15.

Budget light manufactuers are now producing compact lights with multi-thousand lumen output and great UIs. But meanwhile... where are the custom light manufacturers? They seem to be mostly using off-the-shelf reverse clicky switches, H17F driver and a triple. Or they have quite fancy designs... but in terms of output and technical proficiency they seem downright dated compared to cheaper lights. For example:

* Cool Fall - I checked out their page yesterday. Their lights are works of art, but it doesn't seem like much has changed technically from 5 years ago.

* HDS - super-durable overbuilt lights. But again, it doesn't look like all that much innovation has happened. Where are the new designs? And the output seems laughably low by modern standards.

So why the disparity? Why the lack of innovation?

Most likely due to profit and resources. A custom light manufacturer might have excellent resources available to produce a great looking host. But may lack the dedicated engineering resources to make something technically advanced.

Also, technology is advancing very rapidly. The interior components of a typical flashlight aren't that expensive. The result is there is a LOT of competition. A boutique custom manufacturer might lack the resources to "keep up" in the tech race. And almost certainly that manufacturer would lack the ability to pull ahead of the pack.

Making a unique and superbly-crafted host is a luxury item. A boutique manufacturer can charge hundreds or even thousands for something that is a work of art. But not so much for something that merely has the latest consumer electronics inside, which will be out-of-date anyways in a year.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Theo, for a fascinating read. It's rare to find an article devoid of any partisan leanings.
The lack of innovation in the Custom market is disappointing, but hardly surprising.
Even though someone may be a design and engineering genius, they may not have the talent to build optics and drivers, so they are stuck with using off the shelf products. Conversely an electronic or optical genius may not have the design and engineering skills to create a sexy host.

Your point about the replaceable pill to address the heirloom issue is well made. I've always leaned toward modular lights, so that I can update the innards when I find something new. The only unmodular ones that I have have either failed on me or sit on the shelf. I seem to be going back to modularity as a way forward. Hopefully Malkoff and Oveready will keep me going for a long time with some help from HDS.
Thanks again for a refreshing read.
P

scout24

Flashaholic
I needed to re-read and absorb a bit before responding. Time to play devil's advocate. :) We had reflector, single emitter incandescent lights from the early 1900's until LED's came into mainstream use many (100?) years later. The big innovations for a number of years was multi emitter arrays, and (gasp!) more than one level of output. Metal tubes. Maybe different colors! As you mentioned, Mac brought Triples to the custom world less than 10 years ago. I'd say your expectations may need some tempering... Look backwards at how long innovation took to get us where we are in a functional sense versus how long the product has existed. Nevermind how long we've had a "Custom market" for something that for almost 100 years was just an appliance. Any innovation was in functionality for cops and security guards. I'd say we've made signifigant progress. I for one love a WELL DONE single emitter reflector light. Smooth beam, no artifacts, it's a wonderful thing. For edc daily carry and use, for me, a triple with it's wide smooth beam and 100 yard reach is nirvana. Art metals. Different finishes. A million driver choices, output levels, and folks prattling on for pages about three CR-I points or a 50k tint difference in emitters. (Myself included :) ) I'd say we have it pretty good...

Disclaimer- I love and have owned many, many custom lights, and look forward to owning many more as design, technology, and innovation take us further. I'm just one who tries to enjoy the journey more than the ever-elusive destination.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
these days, with the current price points, it seems like don is practically giving his lights away. i think the custom market has been too saturated and targeted towards the hipsters/ gear junkies.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
It took some time to go through all of the posts but it was worth it.
I've got the feeling by reading title that OP meant about makers since Mac, Don and Dave (coolfall). But it's my impression.
Those guys are(were) THE custom makers and they still stand for golden standard in custom world.
There are many others which weren't so famous so i'm sorry if i skiped anyone.

For me, as an incan lover Fivemega is still big guy here. In the era "post Mac", only few got my attention following Don's simplicity and Mac's hairline quality (talking about the seam between the bezel and body) and they are mcbrat and thetasigma.
Their torches can be converted from single emitter to Dragon fueled beast within seconds and yet keeping their awesomness[emoji41]
RPM is about to shine...

Once again, great post! Many thanks!