The Perfect AA

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings CPF,

Not a new member, but still looking for some crowdsourced wisdom... Here's my wish list:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
Doesn't matter

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $300

3) Format:
EDC flashlight

4) Size:
~80mm length (flexible on this)

5) Emitter/Light source:
Single LED in the 3700-5000K temp range. Nichia 219 or XP-G2 or XPL-HI, etc.

6) Manufacturer:
Doesn't matter

7) What power source do you want to use?
Must accept AA. AA is a must have because of the universal availability of AA batteries. Prefer that the light also accepts 14500.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
Prefer a light where the Li-Ion must be removed for recharge with a stand-alone charger. But if a light exists that meets the other criteria, charging port built into the light is OK.
MUST HAVE: Battery must be replaceable.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
MUST HAVE: Low must be no higher than 1 lumen.
High somewhere in the 120-300 lumen range.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
A beam pattern similar to an HDS. Tight hotspot, useable spill.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
EDC uses.

10) Runtime:
Flexible on this.

11) Durability/Usage:
Prefer that the light is potted.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
MUST HAVE: E-switch or mcclicky. These are the only two I'm familiar with, but the trade-offs are satisfactory. Really high reliability and nice short travel (e-switch) vs mcclicky (not as reliable and longer travel but still solid and very easy to DIY service/replace).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
MUST HAVE: Full ramping between moonlight to high (prefer ramping via the switch, but selector ring would be ok). Direct access to moonlight and high. Special modes like strobe are OK as long as they are hidden.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Prefer stainless bezel but flexible on this.

15) Water resistance
At least IPX7.

16) Storage conditions
Wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability.

17) Special Needs/extras:
MUST HAVE: Switch must allow tail standing, meaning it must be flush or side mounted.
Prefer user replaceable/upgradeable pocket clip

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
At present the only AA lights that use a McClicky switch would be a McGizmo AA pack or a Malkoff MDC, a McClicky switch is as large in diameter as some AA lights.

At present I can't think of any AA capable lights with a ramping interface and that would only be with an e-switch, perhaps someone else can think of one?
80mm is twisty territory for an AA light.

AA lights w/ McClicky:
-Malkoff MDC 1xAA
-McGizmo AA Pak w/head of your choice and AA converter

AA/14500 capable lights, neutral emitter option
-Eagletac D25A, reverse clicky

AA/14500 capable lights,
-Sunwayman V11R, reverse clicky w/magnetic control ring for variable control, 16340, CR123, 14500, and AA capable w/extender
-Ultratac A1, reverse clicky, CW
-Jetbeam SF-AA01, reverse clicky, CW
-Armytek A1Pro, side switch, WW option

The Sunwayman V11R w/ an emitter swap and the AA extender is the closest fit I can think of at the moment

archimedes

Flashaholic
A number of older JetBeam (RRT-0) and SunWayMan AA-compatible models (some listed above) with clicky (not McClickie) switch and Rotary UI might also be in the conversation.

Last edited:

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the recommendations. Tracking many of these. Unfortunately most are out of production. Can't figure out why AA form factor doesn't get more love. Does ramping require an e-switch? Can you explain why? I'm looking for a modern UI like the BLF GT or Emisar D4.

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ramping is more intuitive with an e-switch, it is a bit awkward to implement with a mechanical switch since with a mechanical switch the light is either ON or OFF, so you have to base input on how long the light is off between cycles to determine if it was a "tap" to ramp up or down or stop, etc. Crescendo does this and works pretty well, but it is not quite as intuitive as say the D4 interface, Anduril, Narsil, etc.

Possible to get ramping with a McGizmo AA pak?
Not from Don, you'd need a custom engine from someone else with probably a MTN-15DDm driver and Crescendo, and it would be 14500 only

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any suggestions on a maker that might be interested in a special run of AA ramping with one of those FWs you mentioned, given enough interest?

nbp

Flashaholic
If you're willing to go with a longer light and wait a bit to save some extra dough, an HDS Rotary with 2xAA tube might suit you.

nightshade

Enlightened
Kinda outside the box, but the Thrunite TH20 in neutral is my favorite, currently available, infinitely variable, AA light. Ramping and uses AA in all flavors, 14500, NIMH,alki-leak. Versatile and very durable. I added a deep carry clip with neo-magnets to increase its useability. Easily adjustable to point light in any direction and clips nicely to a polo shirt button plaket or shirt pocket,etc. Not hard to upgrade led and very D10-ish to me, although it's a e-switch and not a piston drive. Again, just food for thought, there isn't a lot of ramping AA lights available at the present time.

2hzh7bm.jpg

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
I like the TH20 pocket clip!! :twothumbs That is something Thrunite should include with this light! :whistle:

Is that heatshrink to hold the magnets?

70mm long and firefly mode tick a couple of the requirement boxes too.

Thrunite TH20 specs:

Specifications

LED: CREE XP-L V6 LED with a lifespan of 20+ years of run time.
Mode & Runtime (Tested by one Eneloop AA 2450mAh NIMH rechargeable battery):
-Firefly (0.3 lumens, 14 days)
-Infinity Low (1.6 lumens, 21 hours)
-Infinity High (230 lumens, 95 minutes )
-Turbo (250 lumens, 93 minutes)
Batteries Applicable: 1x AA battery, 1x 14500 battery.
Working voltage: 0.9-4.2 V.
Reflector: Orange Peel.
Peak Beam Intensity: 1120 cd
Beam Distance: 67 m (max.)
Dimensions: 70 mm * 24.5mm
Weight: 76g (without battery).
Waterproof: IPX-8 (2 m)
Impact Resistance: 1 m.
Material: Aircraft grade aluminum body with premium type III hard anodized anti-abrasive finish.