I have an aiming machine!

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
I had to pick up some wheels/tires from work last night (Mercedes-Benz service) and I decided I'd use the empty shop to aim my GMC Sierra's headlamps per Stern's instructions. I brought my tape measure, tape, marker etc.

One of the technicians saw me and asked why I didn't use the aiming machine.

:eek: I was so excited! I never even considered we'd have one although I'm sure the manf requires it.

My question is do I just aim for the crosshairs or is there a specific point mark they should be aimed at below the center? Last night I just aimed at the crosshairs and I already noticed a difference driving home. Tonight I plan to aim my '88 911.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
My question is do I just aim for the crosshairs or is there a specific point mark they should be aimed at below the center? Last night I just aimed at the crosshairs and I already noticed a difference driving home. Tonight I plan to aim my '88 911.
The instructions can vary depending on manufacturer and model (of the aimer) and may require specific preparation.

Perhaps you should download the instructions for the aimer, or find the instructions at the shop, and see what the instructions say to do. Otherwise, you might as well be cranking the headlamp adjustments at random. The "difference" you noticed might have been from making things worse.

Do this before you "aim" the '99 (or, you can also use a mechanical aimer on its sealed beam lamps, but good luck finding one).

Last edited:

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
I will see if I can find the instructions.

On my truck I adjusted the driver headlamp down and the passenger headlamp up so hopefully that only helped oncoming traffic thus far until I research more.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will see if I can find the instructions.
Good!

On my truck I adjusted the driver headlamp down and the passenger headlamp up so hopefully that only helped oncoming traffic thus far until I research more.
Maybe they're uniformly incorrect now, as maybe one of those lamps might have been correct in the first place. Or both were wrong in various ways but are now matched up in wrongness. It could also be that you lucked out and did it right the first time but you didn't read the directions so it's not a certainty.