Side/dual switches

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's up with the prevalence of dual switch lights? Maybe it's just me but isn't it a PITA to mess around with multiple switches? I always liked the click-tap-tap UI of a forward tail clicky. Worrying about messing with a side switch, changing grip, etc is just a hassle.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A dual switch can be very efficient for those who need to change intensity regularly, but some are much better than others. The Nitecore models with switches right next to each other work best for me. But if not used consistently, it is easy to forget how it works.

Berneck1

Enlightened
For the person who is not a "flashlight person". Dual switches are easier to figure out, IMO. Single switches with different UI's need to be learned, and some are quite awful and unintuitive. Double click, triple click, press and hold, etc. The average person has no idea what that is. Even the simple half presses on tail switches are not obvious.

In my experience, most dual switches are simply a power button and a mode button. Just about anyone can figure that out pretty quickly. There are nuances to some, but basic functionality is easy.

Side switches are typically more traditional, and I think most people prefer them out of habit. I like tail switches for EDC, because side switches are too easily accidentally activated, and I hate lockout. However, I don't mind a side switch in regular use and household lights.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, side switches such as Nitecore's came into prominence with the advent of specialized modes like strobe, SOS, and beacon, etc. Leaving those modes in the main switching sequence using a single switch just frustrated many users. Dual switch setups usually have a special sequence that enables those special modes, and keeps them out of the main sequence of selections.

Berneck1

Enlightened
In my experience, side switches such as Nitecore's came into prominence with the advent of specialized modes like strobe, SOS, and beacon, etc. Leaving those modes in the main switching sequence using a single switch just frustrated many users. Dual switch setups usually have a special sequence that enables those special modes, and keeps them out of the main sequence of selections.

Very good point. It's almost impossible to activate strobe or any flashy mode on my Nitecore lights without knowing how to do it. My wife and kids have activated strobe on my other lights before without trying.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of the dual switch setup on my Acebeam L16. Very versatile; rear forward clicky/momentary for turbo & on/off, side switch for all levels & on/off. Almost like 2 lights in 1.

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
What’s up with the prevalence of dual switch lights? Maybe it’s just me but isn’t it a PITA to mess around with multiple switches? I always liked the click-tap-tap UI of a forward tail clicky. Worrying about messing with a side switch, changing grip, etc is just a hassle.

Dual switch lights have been around for quite a while now, I'm not sure when exactly but I am fairly certain it was several years ago. I wanna say JetBeam started it...but it might have been Fenix.

Well it ~might~ just be you...I personally prefer to have the tail switch just turn the light on and off. I especially like what Olight did with the M2R and M2T where it over-rides whatever mode it was in to blast out max power and then goes out when released. I also like the slightly older method used by the M1X and M21X2 as well as the secondary switch being next to the main power tail switch as in the Klarus XT and Nitecore P series models. Although a perfect arrangement for me would be to use the UI from the M2T but move the secondary switch to the tailcap as in the Klarus models. Heck even if it was like the M20SX switches I would go for it.

Personally I can't stand lights that use the power interrupt method to change output modes, I would rather have a separate switch for that. Even models like the Eagtac series that use the head turning to adjust output are an improvement to me except that occasionally those can require two hands to operate.

Having options is always good.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of these old guys have dual switches. [emoji16]

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1550240570.448767.jpg

LRJ88

Enlightened
What's up with the prevalence of dual switch lights? Maybe it's just me but isn't it a PITA to mess around with multiple switches? I always liked the click-tap-tap UI of a forward tail clicky. Worrying about messing with a side switch, changing grip, etc is just a hassle.

I prefer being able to use my flashlight for repeated short flashes either for signalling or checking dark spaces without having to keep it on and blinding myself between them, while i do love most of my single-switch lights it's pretty hard to do that without ending up in a completely different mode while signalling.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For small lights like 123 powered lights a tail switch is nice for me. Perhaps a side switch to change modes as a bonus but not needed to float my boat.

For big lights like D sized or weight forward like a Stinger I prefer a side switch as it helps reduce wrist fatigue.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't mind lights with dual switches.... as long as the design is done right.

Tailcap switch that gives you instant access to the brightest setting (Turbo) immediately. Double-tap for strobe mode. Side switch controlling the rest of the modes: Firefly, moonlight, low, medium, high.

ThruNite TN12 2016 being a good example of what I mean.

jack0458

Newly Enlightened
The switch issue has become a more important issue for me when it comes to buying or using a flashlight. My desire if for the light to be as easy and as simple to use as possible. Every time you add a strobe, SOS, etc. setting you need a more complicated switch system. You end up with one tail button you need to tap several times to get the result you want. Or, a combination of tail cap, side button. Or even a twisty head switch. I'll explain my thoughts. This is easy for me because I only use 3 lights. I'll list them and my pro's and con's. Having mentioned "con's" they are all great and the worst switch system I can live with easily.

First light (and the one that prompted this post): Fenix LD01 and Fenix LD02. I had a LD01 that I loved and was by far my most often used. I could walk my dog at night with it using a 16 foot retractable leash. The LD01 uses only a twisty head. No "last setting memory". Low, med, bright settings is all you have. For a very small EDCf light this is the perfect light for me. Grab the light from my pocket and turn the head. The light came on at the medium setting and that was just what I wanted 90% of the time for a light this size. The LD01 uses one AAA battery. I carried that light for 2 or 3 years using the pocket clip. One day I needed it and it wasn't there. I'm sure I pulled something out of that pocket and the light by accident and it was gone. So I started shopping for another one and the LD01 was discontinued. My favorite option in the Fenix line was the LD02 but it uses the tail switch only. Using other lights with tail tapping I found they are ok once you get used to the strength needed to change the brightness while not accidentally turning it off. I looked on ebay for Fenix LD01 lights and when I found a new one they were around $80. I think the price jumped from around $30 to $80 was because I bet they are in huge demand and will sell at that price if you want to wait to sell them "new". OTOH, if they are in such demand, why would Fenix discontinue that model??? What I love about the twisty head switch on a light this size is I turn it on and change settings if necessary with the light in the exact same position in my hand. Now I have the LD02 and after turning it on I reposition the light for use with the head between thumb and index finger. If I want to change settings I re-position the light putting my thumb on the tail switch. Hopefully, I change the setting without turning it off by accident. :)

My next favorite light is a Fenix PD32 (older model) which uses a tail switch to turn it on then a side switch to change settings. This allows me to change settings without changing the position of the light after it is turned on. And there is no needing to only press a button half way. This half way button push is one thing I'm not good at. Emotional flaw I'm sure. :)

Third favorite: Eagletac D25C2 mini. This uses only a twisty head like the LD01. But using 2 CR123A batteries it is twice the size of the LD01 or LD02 making it not my favorite as an EDC light. Of course this is a personal need thing since my most often need for a flash light is for a low brightness. If I needed more than 70 lumens more often the lights with 2 CR123 batteries are fine but I'll take a smaller size when I can.

Personal note: I haven't owned a lot of lights but of every single one I've bought and used I have NEVER used the strobe, SOS or any other setting than a different brightness. SOS is the only one I see a use for in case you are lost in the rocky mountains. That setting is like insurance. Hope you never need it but NEED it when you NEED it.

These are my thoughts. Not complaints really. Since I only use 3 lights (2 really) I'm used to the switches. For those who use many different lights, different switch systems can get confusing since you need to remember which system you have in your hand. What it boils down to for me is "ease of use".

Good luck and happy seeing in the dark,
Jack