[Review] Folomov EDC C1

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
[h=2]This review was originally posted on my site - read it there for the best experience[/h][h=2]The Product[/h]
Today I'm taking a look at the recently launched Folomov EDC C1. This brass bodied light uses a high CRI emitter and a rear e-switch. Folomov is a relatively new company, but they have made quite a few unique and interesting products already. This sample was generously provided for review by Illumn. At the time of writing, that's the only place to pick this one up.

[h=2]Spoiler[/h]Unfortunately, the sample I received managed to cook it's LED during the turbo runtime test. The runtime was the last step in my review, so the text below has been edited to reflect this. More unfortunate still, I am not the first to experience this issue - Zak, another reviewer, noted the same defect in his review.
I know other reviewers have received samples that didn't have this issue, and I know Illumn is manually reviewing each light and working with the manufacturer to make sure no defective units are shipped to paying customers - but for now, I would not recommend purchasing this light.
This is a fantastic little light with a few drawbacks. There's a lot that makes it completely unique: tail e-switch, tiny package, high CRI E21A, brass body, and warm 3000K tint. Even with the UI quirks, I would definitely recommend picking this light up.

[h=2]Physical Dimensions[/h]I measured the light at about 67.5 mm long, and 12.9 mm in diameter. It weighs in at 26 g without a cell, or 35 g with the included 10440. This is the first light that is small enough for me to actually keep in the coin pocket of my jeans.
Here it is compared to two other AAA sized lights, the Lumintop HLAAA 2.0 and the BLF-348. It's a bit longer than the HLAAA, which actually has a bit of extra length in the image as the tailcap wasn't on all the way - but overall, it's extremely compact.

[h=2]Build[/h]This light is made entirely of brass, but with an interesting coating on it. The finish is smooth, and seems to be some sort of clear coat that gives it a bit of a bead-blasted look. The coating also means that the light won't show a patina over time like bare brass, and it doesn't have an odor like bare brass. If you prefer a bare brass finish, it shouldn't be too hard to sand off the coating - I know some owners have already done the same.
The head of the light has a flat bezel that doesn't protrude much at all from the glass window of the light. There are 6 small grooves cut into the head. These are probably mostly for aesthetic purposes, but they also add some grip and a touch more surface area for cooling the head.
Below the head, the body has a small indentation where the clip attaches. The top edge of this is bare of coating. This are was probably masked to make sure the coating didn't jam up the threads, and the mask just went a touch too low. It's not very noticeable as it's tucked away below the head.
The rest of the body tube is a plain, smooth cylinder. One side has the brand engraved, and the opposite side has the model and a stylised bee(?) engraved.
The tailcap is also smooth and cylindrical, with three notches at the end to help with grip when removing and replacing the cell. There's a small chamfer on the edge, and the grey button boot sits slightly proud of the end of the light. Even though the switch protrudes, the light is capable of tail standing - though it's not very stable.
Inside the tail, the threads are thick and square cut. The threads are also bare, which means the light can not be physically locked out. There's a single small spring serving as the negative cell contact for this light.
The positive cell contact at the head of the light is a small brass button.

[h=2]What's Included[/h]
The package includes:​
  • EDC C1
  • 10440 cell with built in micro-USB charging
  • Friction fit pocket clip
  • 2 spare o-rings
  • Metal case
  • Paperwork

[h=2]Ergonomics and Retention[/h]This is a small light, and it fits in the hand well. It's small enough that when holding it with an overhand grip, I had to take care to push the light forwards so my pinkie wouldn't block the output. Even though the surface is smooth, the light weight meant that I had no issues holding on to it. Additionally, tail switches are always great for ergonomics - they're easy to locate, easy to activate, and I find they turn on in my pocket less often than side-switches.

The friction fit clip comes installed on the light, and works only for head-up carry. The carry isn't particularly deep, leaving about 8 mm protruding. I think the decision for head up carry was a good one - I rarely use a pocket clip on tiny AAA-sized lights like this, and the orientation makes it suitable to clip to the brim of a hat for use as a headlamp.

[h=2]Modes and Interface[/h]This light actually has two mode groups - "Illumination" and "Tactical". To switch between the two groups, tap the switch quickly 7 times.
The UI is fully described in the manual and on the product page, but here's a rundown of some of the more common operations. The full UI includes features like strobes and timers, but I've left those out of the lists below since the manual describes them just fine and I'm not ever likely to use them.
Illumination group:

• A single press from off turns the light on to the last used mode
  • A single press from on cycles modes, but with a strange L-M-H-M-L order
  • A long press from on turns the light off
  • A long press from off turns the light on in moonlight mode
  • A double press from on or off gets turbo
The long press to turn the light off is a bother, and I really don't like the mode order - I never remember what mode my light is in, just that I need more or less of it, and prefer a consistent action to get that result. Even with these annoyances, it's easy to see how flexible having an e-switch at the tail is, and it's a worthwhile trade-off for me. I do hope that Folomov can improve this UI on a future iteration of an otherwise amazing light.

Tactical group:

• From off, hold for momentary on (turbo)
  • From off, tap for constant on (turbo)
  • From any mode, double tap for strobe
I am certainly not a 'tactical' user, and I would usually ignore this mode completely, but on this light it has some advantages. Momentary usage is extremely handy, and this mitigates the long press for off issue. Since the light is only 240 lumens max (according to the measurements on the product page), this is a reasonable setup. In fact, I think using this light in momentary mode gives you a better beam and better interface than the BLF-348 did. I can no longer suggest use in this mode, since the turbo is capable of cooking the LED.

It's also worth noting that some other reviewers with better equipment have measured the moonlight mode at 2 lumens, which is in fact far higher than the advertised 0.5. It's unfortunate that the manufacturer didn't meet their claims, but I have no issues with the moonlight level as is.

[h=2]Light Quality and Beam[/h]
One of the major draws of this light is the E21A. This is a pretty new LED, and as far as I know this is the first production light to use one. The major draw of this is that the LED measures at over 95 CRI, making it extremely accurate at reproducing colors. It's also domeless, which gives the beam a very consistent tint. Finally, the E21A chosen for this light is extremely warm at 3000K. That may be a bit too warm for some people, but I really like it - and I think it goes great with the brass body of this light.​
The warm tint is still nice, but my light now has an unfortunate dead spot in the middle and is not really usable. I've done my best to capture this in a photo, but it's larger in person.​
[h=2]Power and Runtime[/h]The light is powered a single 10440 cell. It ships with an included cell with a micro-USB port for charging. Even though the cells are the same size, this light will not run off an AAA.
The included cell measures 10.5 mm in diameter by 44.1 mm long.
Runtime shows the light drops down from it's initial output extremely quickly, and is nowhere near the initial output by the time the 30 second mark is reached. The remainder of the run tracks cell voltage downwards. This is the test that cooked my LED, so I can't be sure the results would be the same otherwise.

[h=2]Charging[/h]
The light itself doesn't have integrated charging, but the cell it ships with does. This is done by plugging a micro-USB cable directly into the port on the cell - which I have to say, really puts the diminutive size of the 10440 into perspective. When the cell is plugged in, a small red indicating LED comes on on the positive end of the cell. When charging is complete, the LED turns green.
Charging of the included cell drew about 0.3 A over the micro-USB port, and shows a good CC-CV curve. This small cell will charge from empty to full in under an hour, which is convenient.

[h=2]Summary[/h][h=3]Pros:[/h]
  • Stylish brass body
  • Tail e-switch is rare, and fantastic
  • High CRI and warm CCT (though some may find it too warm), and the E21A is great
  • Flexible UI with shortcut to moonlight, turbo, and last used modes
  • Good pocket/hat clip for hands free use
  • Complete kit - the light, a cell, and a way to charge it
[h=3]Cons:[/h]
  • My sample burnt itself out - I do not recommend this light until this issue is resolved.
  • Long press for off, and strange mode order - these should be easy fixes if Folomov chooses to work off this design at some point in time
  • No AAA support
  • No physical lockout

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great details in this review, thanks!

Below the head, the body has a small indentation where the clip attaches. The top edge of this is bare of coating. This are was probably masked to make sure the coating didn't jam up the threads

Even though the switch protrudes, the light is capable of tail standing - though it's not very stable.

The finish is smooth, and seems to be some sort of clear coat that gives it a bit of a bead-blasted look. The coating also means that the light won't show a patina over time like bare brass, and it doesn't have an odor like bare brass.

mine has the same masking line at the top of the clip groove.. although there are no threads at the head. I have tried to twist it off a few times, because it gives such good grip, my hands intuitively think I can replace the batter that way.

I agree tailstanding is possible, carefully, I have to be delicate to stand it up. I think it helps that I removed the clip. And btw, removing the clip scratched the finish..

I agree the coating feels smooth, it also has a shiny reflective surface, and it does look bead blasted, but I dont think it actually is. What I think is actually going on is that the paint has high metallic flake content, a type of faux finish called Oil Rubbed Brass.. its not oiled, and its not brass, its paint. Arguably very nice paint, but it is not a Brass touch surface, hence not Oligodymamic.

I agree the coating does not have the odor of bare brass, and that it will not patina. I like the hand feel of the finish, it is less slippery than my C1, that I sanded down to bare brass, because I want the light to be self disinfecting.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you both for the info that the head is screwed on tight, and is glued.

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
Good news, everyone! Folomov has updated the design of the EDC C1 and released a v3 product that doesn't seem to have the same issues as the original. I've tried out the new model and posted a review on my site for anyone interested.
This has some further enhancements including a stainless steel bezel.

My review of the original version will stay live on my site as well for archival purposes.

Mr.Andrey

Newly Enlightened
I sanded down to bare brass, because I want the light to be self disinfecting.

Do you know what type of brass is used? Some types (C360, for example) have lead in them, and sanding it down could potentially be hazardous.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
brass... have lead... potentially be hazardous.

I agree, that is why I usually avoid brass lights.
I much prefer to buy copper and titanium lights.

even keys are potentially hazardous

In any case, I do not recommend the Folomov C01, because it drains its own battery too quickly, when not in use. I often found it dead when I wanted to use it. And it cant take Eneloops, so I could not just put in a fresh battery.

Mr.Andrey

Newly Enlightened
because it drains its own battery too quickly, when not in use.

I corresponded with Craig from illumn.com, and he said that was an issue with an older iteration of the light and that's now fixed. They just got a new shipment of lights in, so I ordered one.

He said the light has a clear finish, so the brass-lead thing isn't really an issue unless you sand it, but it would be nice to know which type of brass it is anyway in case it gets scuffed and worn some time from now.

I was looking for something small, cute and incandescent-like, but there isn't much out there. My absolute ideal would be this light's 3000K emitter in a small right-angle body like Lumintop HLAAA (pictured below).

m0irznd7rwa11.jpg

Mr.Andrey

Newly Enlightened
After having a flashlight for a few weeks, I have to say that I absolutely love it. I even put an amber filter on it, so the light is closer to 2200K. Super cozy for reading.

The first one I received had the donut spot in the center, but when I contacted Illumn, they said it was a lemon and sent me another one. That turned out to be the case. Here are the pictures of the old one (left) and new one (right):

ACtC-3drt3L83aDAQ1OwQK6St1ZL122iqbLZH8cYKc_z77kaZhWeLGbsOxVaoBdMVhq_MVCmXztas-CRoB7baFc_7vN71bubuFnK3ln5jyEEjIVaPT865FHYqYN0reaafBs2AEZpsee5y7S8BkCLyrpbPhlv=w2052-h1532-no

ACtC-3ck7BzFwJBR_QGX_hCSkGPspmbeNe1BECLvfkY3xxs-ueIqBa894bskjb3gM_eHkbAYTdTv6Qka3jGF9tEUSY19zbm7hFVSfRTioIBH9p2kukbNLQ0Pw5KBdw9KpHalPO6z33Faj6_HjLSA4Dwa84gg=w2052-h1532-no

As you can see, the old one has a burned out spot in the center. According to this post, it's due to insufficient thermal paste.

The people at illumn have been awesome and I'm extremely happy with the light.

Here's what I like about it:
* The warmth of the light. The emitter is amazing. Plus, with an added an amber filter, the warmth of the light is just yummy.
* The light increments are well-spaced. Moon light is awesome, the next mode (low, 4.8 hours) is perfect for most circumstances like walking around at night and reading. The following mode is 2x that (I use it when I need a little more light or when the battery is low and the low mode is too low). The high I never use. The turbo mode is VERY bright. I hardly ever use it, but I imagine it could come in handy in case a pig jumps out of the jungle and I need some super bright light for a moment.
* The fact that it's not a throw-away light. This is a big one for me. I have a hard time with the modern throw-away culture. The small Rovyvon lights looked somewhat interesting, but I dislike the fact that you can't replace the battery (they actually don't sell batteries for their small lights and the replacements for the larger ones are pretty much a whole new flashlight), so battery dies = flashlight dies.
* Replaceable battery. The one in the light is rated at 210mAh, but you could buy other 10400's that are 350mAh, which is significantly higher. With a couple of those, I would feel totally fine using this as my main light on a camping trip.
* Timer. This is a small feature, but I use it unexpectedly often. I just put the timer on 1-3 minutes before going to bed, then it turns off on its own.
* The size. It's super small, so keeping it clipped to the pocket of my pants, I just forget it's there. Great for just general evening indoor-outdoor stuff like walking around and reading.
* It has a bumblebee on it. My girlfriend loves it.

No negatives that I can think of, except a tiny bug that moonlight first flashes at about 3-5 lumens before going down to 1.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
moonlight first flashes at about 3-5 lumens before going down to 1.

too bad the light still does not meet the 0.5 lumen moonlight spec,
the preflash would be unacceptable to me.

I hope the parasitic drain is indeed cured

besides those issues, I dont recommend the light due to the weird UI, and lack of AAA compatibility.

its definitely a cute host, and a great LED.
glad you are having fun with it..