Elzetta vs Malkoff...Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I am still looking at either buying an Elzetta Charlie with the normal lens and clicky tailcap, (OR) a Malkoff MD3 with the 4000K NW tint XHP-50 LED.

This light will be used not only for tactical purposes but also sometimes EDC. I like the Elzetta because I think it might do a better job at illuminating objects a little further away then the Malkoff XHP-50 LED might. Also, I do not mind using 123A cells. I have maybe 90 SF123A cells to use.

Is there any benefit for the Malkoff in terms of light output besides 930 lumens for almost 1 full hour on the Elzetta vs 1100 lumens for maybe 20 minutes on the Malkoff? If I get the MD3 body I will be running either (2) 18500 cells or (3) 123A cells in it anyway, as the MD4 body is too long for me.

My last and final question is one of the most important to me. That is the build quality, which light is built the best ? The drop rating is 5 meters on Elzetta, submersible to 10 meters. Malkoff is not listed. Anyone with either or both of these brands have an opinion on which one is the most durable light ? I will need it to function in the worst conditions.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Get two lights, one for everyday use and a second for whatever high speed endeavors you plan on using a flashlight to accomplish. Either brand will be fine for durability. I've dropped Malkoffs a million times and other than getting dinged up a bit, they still function 100%. I haven't dropped my Elzettas as much simply because I don't use them as much.

Be sure to post pics of whatever you decide to get!

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get an Elzetta with AVS head and a standard bezel. You can then drop in a Malkoff in the Elzetta host when you need.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AVS head is not compatible with any other drop ins. It's different than the ZFL M60.

Edit: Never mind. I get your meaning now.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AVS head is not compatible with any other drop ins. It's different than the ZFL M60.

Edit: Never mind. I get your meaning now.

Yeah, the naming is a little wacky in Elzetta site. It is not the standard bezel 'ring.' Just a 'standard bezel.'

bykfixer

Flashaholic
To answer the build quality, well that is a coin toss as both are built very durable.

Those crazy kids at Elzetta made some videos of them being dropped from a helicopter, assembled under water etc.
Gene just goes about his daily life knowing his will easily withstand being clamped to a shotgun.

200 more lumens for 1/3 the runtime? Eh, I can't see doing that.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Are you referencing the Malkoff WildCat V6 ? Would you be comparing that to the Elzetta Charlie in the flood optic configuration ? With the "normal" (standard) lens, you are comparing apples to oranges (thrower to flooder)

Both brands are very durable, and for quite a few years (in the past) the Elzetta was actually powered by Malkoff dropins. In fact, I doubt there is any meaningful difference between them, although of course anything can fail under extreme duress. Better have a backup (or more) , whatever you decide, if light is mission critical and you plan for hard use.

There are a few things I prefer about the Malkoff. Malkoff have a more modular design, and wider "ecosystem" of parts and upgrades. I like the anodizing on the Malkoff over that of the Elzetta, not that one is better or worse, just prefer their finish. The Malkoff is more easily user-serviced, regarding switches and such. Speaking of switches, I like the more obvious tactile response of the Malkoff. Finally, the extremely fine threads on my Elzetta have been a little more fussy during battery changes, and I worry some about cross-threading.

I don't know much about Elzetta customer service personally (though I have heard it is solid) but I can say that Malkoff customer service is absolutely tops.

I have one Elzetta ... and too many Malkoff to count ;)

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said, Archimedes. That's more or less what I was going to say as soon as I could get in front of my computer. The build quality in terms of impact resistance would be identical, since Elzetta took their queues from Gene Malkoff in the beginning. The five meter drop rating is essentially arbitrary, more a reflection of the ANSI standard than actual field testing.

If you're bent on using primaries, then I'd say the Charlie is the better choice. Malkoff devices come into their own when you need modularity and a variety of power sources. I, too, keep nearly 100 primaries in stock, but I'd never run them in a Wildcat. It's built for lithium ion.

The standard lens on the Charlie will have a bit more range, but nothing beats the Wildcat for situational awareness. One final thought, Malkoff devices tend to keep a higher resale value than Elzettas. Something to consider if you think you might end up posting a WTS thread in the future. Personally, my choice would be the Malkoff.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I like and own both. The Wildcat head is smaller for carry. The Elzetta flood lens is only $20 and is awesome. Both are tough lights.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
This is interesting, is it some kind of private mod or does Gene make them to order?

Are you referencing the Malkoff WildCat V6 ? Would you be comparing that to the Elzetta Charlie in the flood optic configuration ? With the "normal" (standard) lens, you are comparing apples to oranges (thrower to flooder)

Both brands are very durable, and for quite a few years (in the past) the Elzetta was actually powered by Malkoff dropins. In fact, I doubt there is any meaningful difference between them, although of course anything can fail under extreme duress. Better have a backup (or more) , whatever you decide, if light is mission critical and you plan for hard use.

There are a few things I prefer about the Malkoff. Malkoff have a more modular design, and wider "ecosystem" of parts and upgrades. I like the anodizing on the Malkoff over that of the Elzetta, not that one is better or worse, just prefer their finish. The Malkoff is more easily user-serviced, regarding switches and such. Speaking of switches, I like the more obvious tactile response of the Malkoff. Finally, the extremely fine threads on my Elzetta have been a little more fussy during battery changes, and I worry some about cross-threading.

I don't know much about Elzetta customer service personally (though I have heard it is solid) but I can say that Malkoff customer service is absolutely tops.

I have one Elzetta ... and too many Malkoff to count ;)

Yes, I was referring to buying the Elzetta Charlie with the standard lens (not the flood lens) or the Malkoff WildCat V6 with the 4000k tint. XHP 50 emitter. I am going to guess the Malkoff has more flood and situational awareness , and the Elzetta has more throw. If what I am assuming is correct, how much further does the Elzetta throw with the standard lens over the Malkoff XHP-50 4000K?

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Well said, Archimedes. That's more or less what I was going to say as soon as I could get in front of my computer. The build quality in terms of impact resistance would be identical, since Elzetta took their queues from Gene Malkoff in the beginning. The five meter drop rating is essentially arbitrary, more a reflection of the ANSI standard than actual field testing.

If you're bent on using primaries, then I'd say the Charlie is the better choice. Malkoff devices come into their own when you need modularity and a variety of power sources. I, too, keep nearly 100 primaries in stock, but I'd never run them in a Wildcat. It's built for lithium ion.

The standard lens on the Charlie will have a bit more range, but nothing beats the Wildcat for situational awareness. One final thought, Malkoff devices tend to keep a higher resale value than Elzettas. Something to consider if you think you might end up posting a WTS thread in the future. Personally, my choice would be the Malkoff.

I am having problems with my muti quote posting guys my apologies.
So your opinion is a little further range for Charlie and more awareness with Malkoff. Oh boy, I see possibly 2 lights in the near future and yes I would run the Wildcat on the 18500's.

archimedes

Flashaholic
No need to requote very long posts in their entirety. If there is a small relevant section necessary to respond clearly, it is fine to quote just that small section.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
If you want throw, why not consider one of the HoundDogs (or other throw-based Malkoffs) ?

The HoundDogs heads are just too big for me to carry on my side, and I have looked at the smaller Malkoff lights and I do like the M61 HOT MD2. However, 6200 K is just a little cool for me I think. I feel like I am going to end up with a few lights and narrowing it down to one is impossible. LOL.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HoundDogs heads are just too big for me to carry on my side, and I have looked at the smaller Malkoff lights and I do like the M61 HOT MD2. However, 6200 K is just a little cool for me I think. I feel like I am going to end up with a few lights and narrowing it down to one is impossible. LOL.

Have a look at the M91T head, I use one on an MD3 body and get about 90 minutes of runtime on high from 2 x 18500 batteries.

It's throw is more compatible with the HoundDog lights but in a very compact package.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some experience in dropping Elzetta: once upon a time my Bravo with a crenelated bezel went down from some 5 ft altitude on a pavement block -- the bezel was damaged (sharp burr). Tried to remove the burr with a file, but wasn't impressed much with the result -- the bezel has been replaced to a standard one. While filing the burr noticed that the bezel aluminum is noticeably soft. Definitely not what you'd expect on a strike bezel...

On the other side I have managed to drop from the same altitude a Surefire Fury. It landed on the same hard surface (concrete stairs). I have inspected it carefully and I am not sure if I found a hit mark -- there was a microscopic anodizing defect on a battery tube knurling that could be detected only at a proper lighting and watching angle (it could have been there before the drop).

Status
Not open for further replies.