GMT800 Z71 Tahoe lighting upgrades

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
That would be these Valeo-Sylvania HID headlamp assemblies, properly engineered as HID headlamps. Second preference would be the halogen version, which has a bulb shield and uses an H11 low beam bulb rather than 9006 -- the H11 produces 350 lumens more than the 9006, and has better filament precision. Another poster pointed you at these lamps via SUVlights. In this particular case, he pointed you at a legitimate product from a disreputable vendor worth avoiding (factory rejects sold as "second generation improved" lamps, etc.). Better to get the lamps directly from the maker, even if it costs a few bucks more, thereby avoiding SUVlights' scummy business practices and avoiding any warranty "issues".

The links are no longer working from this post. I have a co-worker with a GMT800 Z71 Tahoe that was inquiring about headlights today. What is the latest and greatest for these models?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The best option existing for the Chevrolet version of the GMT800 is a set of new genuine GM headlamps (this and this -- much better than any of the available aftermarket ones) with these low beam bulbs and these high beam bulbs, aimed carefully and correctly (they're "mechanical-aim" lamps) as per this and this. If more is needed beyond that, carefully-chosen auxiliary lights are next on the menu.

leigh1962

Newly Enlightened
Hi

Just a thought, How would the Vosler 9012 bulb be for his low beam ?

I, based on older threads here and else where ordered a set and installed them into my 2014 Impala to good results.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The 9012 bulb is not necessarily safe to use in every/any lamp that is designed to take a 9006 bulb. It's a case by case thing, based on the lamp's optics, photometrics, and mounting height. The headlamps in the truck being asked about are too sloppy and too high-mounted, and they lack a bulb shield...any of those three reasons alone would be enough to disqualify for 9012.

leigh1962

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I didn't know that about the GMT800.

It seems then that for now, only the GMT400s have a good upgrade path to LEDs using your advice to me regarding the work truck nose and JW speaker lamps.

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
The best option existing for the Chevrolet version of the GMT800 is a set of new genuine GM headlamps (this and this -- much better than any of the available aftermarket ones)

I should know better than to ask this. How bad are the Dorman replacements? My brother-in-law just paid $1000 for a '99 Silverado and all the forward lamps are completely shot. I know he's not going to spend $300 on OEM lamps and I'm hoping to steer him away from any of the eBay garbage. I have the recommended bulbs that I pulled out of my Silverado before sending it to auction. They weren't used for more than a few weeks and I'm happy to donate them.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Dorman's lamps for this application are pretty sketchy; better get this and this for the headlamps. Dorman's fine for the signal lights. Appropriate bulbs in all locations (no HIRs in the low beams), and very important to aim the headlamps correctly.

Latest posts