Weekend project: Camera hotshoe hack for Olight i1R

wosser

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that the built-in flash on the Nikon D40 has a hole in the middle when it's in the up position. Naturally it followed that a i1R EOS could fit in that gap and shine through to give a little bit of hands-free illumination while walking from place to place photographing nocturnal wildlife.

I designed a simple plastic part that slides into the hotshoe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_shoe) on the camera, and grabs the flashlight by the rear section knurling...

47178101022_2f1a2c2590_c.jpg

Being a soft flooder, the photographs are unaffected by the flashlight's low mode, and on high mode it blends in well with the built-in flash (and the camera can compensate for the additional light by stopping down the exposure a wee bit. So you don't really notice it in high either.

It does help with simply walking around without having to have one hand used up with a flashlight.

The adaptor was 3D printed from phosphorescent ABS.

Last edited:

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Haha what a great little adaptation and well though out

I just reviewed the i1r, thought it was a very handy little light. Funnily enough whilst filming the beamshots I found the low mode was more then adequate for relocating the camera for alternate shots.
Cheers