At what capacity do you retire eneloops?

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering when you folks retire your eneloops. I've got a couple that after a break in on my maha charger are showing up at ~1750mAh and wondering if it's time to take them out of rotation.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed that when Eneloops lose significant capacity (i.e., the AA's are down around 1600mAh), their internal resistance goes up through the roof. This makes them useless for flashlights and anything else with moderate or high drain.

For example, an Eneloop will test about 1600mAh when drained at 250mA. But at 500mA, it will test at about 10mAh. That is, voltage craters as soon as you put a moderate load on it.

But don't throw them out. They still seem to hold a charge for a decent amount of time, so are still useful in things like remote controls or "battery vampire" lights. I wouldn't say they're low-self-discharge anymore, but they're not fast-self-discharge either. They'll hold a charge for a few months.

Anyway, at 1750mAh, it's probably getting close to wearing out. When it does start to wear out, it will go bad very fast. Like I said, still useful for low-drain stuff, but you'll definitely notice they won't be good for anything more than about 30 lumens.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Llmercll,

In general on the capacity side of things, I retire when a cells capacity has dropped below 80% of its original capacity. The choice to retire a cell also is based upon its ability to hold voltage under load and how fast its self discharge rate is.

The original Eneloop cells were labeled at 2000 mAh with a minimum of 1900. If we are generous and use the minimum we have 1750/1900 = 92%. If all other things are good, not time to retire yet.

Tom

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm doing the full scale 'break-in' of all of my AAs and have lost some quads over the past 6 months to attrition.

Just did 12 Gen. 2 Eneloops last week, dated 9/11 and bought in early 2012.

All 12 were in the high 18s and low 19s and all made it through the process.

I just finished my 8 GP ReCyKos from 2012 and a few of them didn't make it through without interuption--a 5xx mAh here, a 10xx mAh and a 26 mAh there. I just discharged the first quad with the 5xx/10xx numbers and all 4 discharged at 500mA at just over 1900mAh, so they seem to be good up to that point. I'm doing my 2012 Gen. 2 Glitters right now.

I can't complain about the Eneloops/ReCyKos, since I've gotten almost 7 years out of them. Their I.R.s aren't too bad, so I don't know what happened in the B.I. process?

The Maha will reject batteries when their I.R.s get over 2.00v and I'm not there yet, which is really what I go by. I'm not interesting in eking out a 50mA rate, at a stretch

These items are consumables, so we have to keep that in mind

Chris

Last edited:

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
I have an old post discussing batteries' quality judgement with Maha MC9000, since you have the equipment might find it useful. Not sure if they have changed anything important to the design of the charger till then however. My opinion is retirement is more than capacity.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-does-dying-Eneloop-look-like-(capacity-wise)

That's an excellent thread, thank you. I will check the IRC on these cells. Do you still believe BIM should be adjusted to the battery's current capacity, rather than it's brand new capacity? I ask because I've been noticing decreases in my cells capacities as well after BIM, but have been doing them at 2000mah.

apagogeas

Enlightened
BIMs should be on the conservative side and done at the current capacity observed. Such a discussion was on that same link too.