battery discharge amp question ?

7MMMARK

Newly Enlightened
I have purchased a Astrolux MF02 and I keep reading that I need "HIGH DRAIN BATTERIES" Most say Samsung 30q which are rated at 15 amp. I have Panasonic NCR 18650 GA which are rated at 10 amps. the light takes 4 batteries so 4 x 10 amps=40 amps. what light needs that level of amps ? Please skool me on this ! thanks Mark

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently your light has 2 pairs of cells, each wired in series then in parallel.
In other words the cells supply 7.4 volts and the current rating with 10A cells will be 20A.
That should be enough. Have a search on here to check the current draw of your light.
Bear in mind that Manufacturers' current ratings in gereral tend to be rather oprimistic.
Also the definition "High Drain Cell", is a bit nebulous, so it would be a good idea to check.
Hopefully, running low discharge cells will just restrict the power to the light, so you won't be able to reach the high levels, but it may also cause the cells to overheat

Just found this..
Modes (declared number of lumens, approximate working time, measured by me current consumption):

- SŁABY (15lm / 300h / 0.016A)
- ŚREDNI (350lm / 25h / 0.245A)
- WYSOKI (1700lm / 3h 30min / 2.02A)
- TURBO (3000lm -> 1800lm / 2h 30 min / 6.25A)
- STROBO
- SAUCE
- BEACON

So you should be fine with 10A cells, even if they are only 5A in reality.
Check HKJ's reviews on here to find out more about specific cells and general useful stuff.
P

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Atrolux MF02 is rated at a max output of 3000 lm. Given the source, I'd guess it will never actually achieve this. Even if it did, at a modest 100 lm/W, that would be 30W input to the LED. Assuming a rather poor driver efficiency of 80%, that would mean 37.5W load on the batteries. Spread over 4 cells, that's 9.4W per cell. Even given a fully discharged cell (2.7V) that's only 3.5A. Higher driver efficiency, higher LED efficacy, or higher cell voltage would all tend to reduce this value.

So it's very unlikely that under any condition this light will draw more than 3.5A from any cell.

Notice that this calculation does not depend on what the LED configuration (6/12V) or the cell configuration (4S, 4P, 2S2p) are. It is also quite consistent with what Peter Yetman posted. A 2S2P configuration at 3.5A per cell would be 7.0A total, and the measured current at full output is considerably less than that, as anticipated.