XTAR TZ20 issue with batteries

npd190

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm new here so hope this is posted in the right thread.

I have something strange going on with my XTAR TZ20 Platoon flashlight. It sometimes stops working or jumps to the next setting on it's own and just go crazy between Low, Medium, High, Strobe, etc. Last week it didn't want to go on anymore, so I thought it must be some sort of loose connection in the flashlight and I decided it's time for a new one. I bought a Nitecore MH27uv which came with a 2600mah battery, but I also ordered a 3500mah battery with the built-in USB charger port on the side. The MH27uv works great, but I kept playing around with the TZ20 to see if I could get it on again. I tested all of my batteries on the TZ20, which included its own XTAR 2600mah, the Nitecore's 2600mah, another generic 2600mah, and the 3500mah battery. With all 3 of the 2600mah batteries, the flashlight continues to give problems turning on and it will sometimes only go on if I give it a bump with my hand or shake it, but it keeps going on and off and jumps between settings. However, with the 3500mah battery, the TZ20 works fine with no problems. This really left me scratching my head, so I was hoping someone here could help explain this to me or might know what's going on? The only differences I can see between this battery and the other 3 is that it is 3500mah compared to 2600mah, it has the USB port for charging, and the positive terminal is hexagonal whereas the 2600mah batteries are all round.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd remove the switch from the tailcap and clean everything and then re-seat it. You might as well clean what ever else you can clean up, as well.

I don't think it would be a cell issue, but who knows?

Chris