Shopping in New York City?

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coming from England to New York at Easter but not going to range far from Manhattan island. Are there any good shops on the island or close by for flashlights and gadgets? There is a B&H Photography store, don't know if they do flashlights though? I did a search but all the 'Shopping in NY' posts were years old.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are places like REI and other camping stores. I live near Manhattan but I'm not there too often to shop, so I will defer to those who live in Manhattan for their knowledge.

Just wanted to comment about B&H, the last time that I went, they sold Surefires and a couple of other brands. If you need CR123s, they sell those at a decent price. You can look on their website for a idea of what they sell.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
there aren't many stores that sell flashlights in nyc. probably biggest selection would be at home depot at 23rd st, but no surefires there, there is paragon sports on 18th st and Broadway, they sell few lights, b&h, also check out hardware stores often they sell good lights. there is many small stores that sell electronics, and souvenirs. they may have good lights too, i once bought surefire minimums there, most of those stores are in midtown\downtown, where most tourists hang out. but expect 10-50% mark up over internet prices at the stores.

edit, i just went on bh website, and i might be wrong about HD having biggest selection, seems like BH has more.

Last edited:

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
According to their salespeople, you'll be like a kid in a candy store at B&H. Wife and I are also visiting, They said they had hundreds of flashlights on display and to play with. I have done a lot of business with B&H via the Net and phone. The people are great. I'm looking forward to it.

Enjoy your visit to America.

Last edited:

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try Paragon Sport near Union Square. Funny, I just posted something about shopping at Paragon not so long ago.

B+H is also great as others have mentioned. It is Huuuuge gadget store! :D Pretty awesome with conveyor belt systems....

@Kid9p where are you?

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
the store itself(B&H) is unique, just look up when you come in,

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for B&H - fantastic place and a fun place to spend several hours browsing. Just make sure you check their operating hours.

Berneck1

Enlightened
B&H is a very unique place. I stop by there all the time. Their flashlight selection is probably the best in the City, but it's not as huge as you may think. You'll find Surefire, Fenix, Maglite, Coast, and some others...

Berneck1

Enlightened
Another vote for B&H - fantastic place and a fun place to spend several hours browsing. Just make sure you check their operating hours.

That's a good point. It's run by Hasidic Jews, so their hours are not "normal". They close for many Jewish holidays, etc. they close early on Friday, and are closed on Saturdays.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP, B+H is a fun place to stop by and visit the new Hudson yards and the Highline near it. It's also a must if you're visiting NYC.

Berneck, you're right in a sense but it is Huuuge :D in the NY real estate!!

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
B&H should be on your list of places to stop by. Paragon less so because some of their prices are a bit high.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good point. It's run by Hasidic Jews, so their hours are not "normal". They close for many Jewish holidays, etc. they close early on Friday, and are closed on Saturdays.

This year Easter and Passover coincide. So they might be closed certain days.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, I'm seeing some good suggestions here. Feel free to chip in with any suggestions for good but reasonably priced places to eat and things to do other than than usual tourist stuff.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
B&H is definitely worth a visit. So is Paragon Sporting Goods. Though they mainly have a selection of SureFires mostly.

Sadly though, you're about a decade too late for shopping for lights in New York City. All the best places literally closed down. Even Tent & Trails near City Hall has shut its doors. And that place always got a very conditional recommendation from me. Not the best selection of lights in general, but you could sometimes find older models that you'd simply not find in other Brick & mortar stores in NYC. (And I mean back when the selection of such stores was excellent.)

The owner was funny, but not in a fun way. Horribly temperamental! Even if you were extremely polite, she might still go off on you. A few years ago when the D.A. decided to reinterpret the vague as hell Sullivan Act as a ban on all locking folding knives with a one-hand feature, she still openly sold such knives through her shop. Even though the NYPD was seriously cracking down on such shop owners. So, even though I don't like her, I still have respect for her. Wish the place was still open. I believe she simply went out of business instead of the local PD shutting her down.

The large Home Depot on 23rd street is close to Paragon on 18th street. So, you might want to walk in and take a look. Lights and batteries are near the register section. Though as a flashaholic looking for the best, you'll likely be disappointed a bit.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Happy to help. Just honestly wish I had better news for you, regarding great places to buy lights.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, its fine. Chances are I won't get anything anyway but you never know what will take yoir fancy when you are browsing.