Unprotected 18650 battery guidance and potential danger.....

tsouzee

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I'm a total newbie when it comes to flashlights but want to try out an Emisar D4 as was recommended by a few members. My concern is the unprotected battery it requires and the dangers I keep reading about.

I will be using a NiteCore D2 charger for this battery. I've read that if these unprotected cells are drained too much then it can cause issues (gas, fire, etc) to the battery, specifically while it is recharging. I've read the D4 has internal voltage cutoff of 2.8v, but this seems too low of a drain as per what most recommend.

Can someone shed some light?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
2.8v as a cut-off is fine. Nothing to worry about. Just be sure to use a genuine high-drain cell of good quality. Samsung 30Q, Sony VTC6, or Sony VTC5A is even better.

tsouzee

Newly Enlightened
2.8v as a cut-off is fine. Nothing to worry about. Just be sure to use a genuine high-drain cell of good quality. Samsung 30Q, Sony VTC6, or Sony VTC5A is even better.

Thanks. Good to know. Anything else to look out for using these Li-Ion batteries? I will only be using them in single cell flashlights.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Good to know. Anything else to look out for using these Li-Ion batteries? I will only be using them in single cell flashlights.

Single-cell is the safest way to go, since you don't need to worry about balancing.

Make sure to keep the wraps in good condition so you don't expose parts of the cell. Most important is the positive end of the cell. Never stick the cell anywhere lose where it might short with metal, such as pocket change. If you drop the cell (or flashlight), check to make sure the cell is still in good condition, not dented, etc.

If you have a DMM, it's good to check the voltage before and after charging, to make sure it's not under or over the 2.5v - 4.2v range. A decent charger will do that for you, but it never hurts to double-check. When charging, feel the cell occasionally, it should not get any hotter than luke warm.

tsouzee

Newly Enlightened
^^^ Very helpful. Thanks again. I feel better about the whole thing now.