Surefire Titan plus, or Klarus Mi7 ??

RCLumens

Enlightened
For EDC, looking for small light, with clip, decent throw for size. Open to other suggestions, money not an issue within reason, 007 is out of my price range. Opinions on above greatly appreciated

Nephron44

Enlightened
I have never used the Klarus, but I have the Titan Plus. It's plenty bright, but the Maxvision beam is designed to be floody and not throw.

For a 1AAA light that has some good throw, I like the Streamlight Protac 1AAA, or for a rechargeable option, the Streamlight Microstream USB.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I like the Eiger (the upper item here) ...

n1Hycpy.jpg

... and the Titan Plus is nice too ...

6RteeUy.jpg

... but neither are what I would consider "throwy"

No experience with that Klarus you mentioned.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would choose the Titan plus. I have a Mi7 in SS. Nice size but I am not a fan of its UI.
I would look at Eagletac cr123 lights. They are about as thin as a CR123 gets. New version are 800 ish lumens. I like the UI. I just got one and have EDC it every day. Easy to pocket and decent clip. You don't even know it's in your pocket.

One other option is Olight sr1 it's another small cr123 side switch compact EDC. Hope that helps.

I usually rotate aaa or compact cr123 asEDC.
For Aaa I use ultra tac K18, Reylight copper,
Or old MJP Extreme programmed hi then medium. . I really like aaa that start on Medium mode first or have memory. Just ordered aaa Tool in titanium.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
@RCLumens, interesting paring.

The two lights have very different characteristics, so it's interested that you're considering choosing between the two, being a flashoholic I didn't, got 'em both. Here's a photo of these two side by side.

bOaRfjr.jpg

The Mi7 is small and light for an AA light, whereas the Titan Plus although small actually weighs more than most (all?) AAA lights. The smaller Titan Plus loaded with Eneloop AAA (57g) actually weighs more than the Mi7 (Al version) loaded with a 14450 cell (48g). Brightness wise, the Mi7 will also actually go lower and higher in brightness and throw better than the Titan Plus. There are also differences when it comes to UI.

The Mi7 side-clicky has been known to accidentally activate in pocket. Fortunately, the light can be both mechanically (via loosening head) and/or electronically (via long press&hold) locked-out. The Mi7 offers single click to High, and direct access via long-press to Low (both good). The oddity is that users must cycle through Medium (if On High) before turning Off light. Also, being an electronic switch there is the matter of parasitic drain from the circuitry.

The Titan Plus on the other hand is a classic twisty, On/Off via Tighten/Loosen. Progression is from Low to Medium to High, via twists within 2-secs. Simple and robust. And of course it comes with the Surefire warranty, which is important if you plan heavy duty usage.

Other minor differences include, tail stand ability versus keychain ability. Variety of body colors and body material (Al or It), versus the gorgeous nickel-plated brass.

FWIW, I haven't EDC'd either. My current pocket rotation includes an Olight S-mini or Olight iT3.

RCLumens

Enlightened
Thank you all for the awesome feedback! A lot of Titan fans - and it is a good looking light - with a nice size. @Paul6 - I was looking at the new Eagtac DX3B Clicky as well - it's obviously larger but a lot more light in a 18350 package. I went to illuminationgear but they don't have the xhp 35 Hi available which would give 14Kish lux for throw. I sent an email asking when they expect those to be in stock with no response. No one seems to have the DX3B's with the Hi - and given it's size sacrifice, I would then want throw. I used to have an older D25C which I liked the interface of - so if the newer DX3B is like that it would be great -

@pc_light that's such great info and comparison - thank you so much! I do like the Titan's size and looks, but I don;t intend on putting it on a key chain, so clip and tailstand would be more important. I would probably opt going for the Titanium, which I don;t intent on keeping looking pretty, so it should hold up a bit better than aluminum provided the guts hold out. I might wind up getting them both myself, then posting some feedback. Any other thoughts are welcomed. Thank you all again so much!

GoVegan

Enlightened
LOL as pc_light wrote, get both then decide... that used to be the standard recommendation here for years.

For me, side switches are a no go, never had any light with a side switch but you don't have to be a genius to work out that they will accidentally activate in your pocket. Although I understand that the Mi7 does have a lockout. Still Meh to the interface of the Klarus too, Chinese makers seem to love over complicated interfaces and Disco modes. Not a fan as you probably gather.

So based on that, I'd recommend the Surefire Titan Plus, or the Streamlight Protac 1AAA (I have purchased a few as relatively cheap and make good gifts and backups) for better throw and the better interface assuming you don't mind the PWM flicker on low (which sucks), although the Streamlights only officially support primary batteries if that is important to you.

boo5ted

Enlightened
I've got a red Mi7 that I don't use that I'd consider getting rid of.

Just sayin'. :grin2:

RCLumens

Enlightened
Hey all, thank you for all your feedback, advice, and time. @ boo5ted, thank you for the offer. I wound up going with a relight copper aaa pineapple. Tail stand, and clip, were pretty important after doing more research, and based on this being an EDC. I have to say having the neutral tint is also good, and it's different. Or also supports 10440, .and was a relative bargain. The pocket clip allows for deep carry without tail sticking up. I would ideal want a light this size and output with a tail switch instead of twisty. But tail switch that is flat to allow tail stand. Any additional recommendations are welcomed, but will probably chime in on the favorite aaa thread. Now all I have to do is accelerate the oxidation, maybe boiled egg method?? Thanks again for all your feedback and suggestions!!