Which non-headlamp while backpack camping?

Deep inside a public land hunt where you carry everything on your back, headlamp is key. But what would you carry as a second light when "ounces are pounds and pounds are pain?

My thought is a second headlamp. Two cr123 Zebralights? Lithium primaries.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a second light, I would carry more of a traditional reflectored or TIR light to compliment my floody headlamp by giving me more throw for spotting trails etc.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would rather have 1 18650 headlamp than 2 CR123 headlamps... it would probably have more runtime and weigh less totally.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would carry a ZL handheld if I had ZL Headlamps,it just seems obvious to me?
One common interface and a common battery type is what I carry.

I would carry a ZL handheld if I had ZL Headlamps,it just seems obvious to me?
One common interface and a common battery type is what I carry.

I'm with you, but I think I will carry a handheld ZL HEADLAMP. One platform. Headlamps are pretty easy to run as flashlights, but not visa versa.

P.S. I know this goes against the title of my post and your answer might possibly have been different if I has used a different title. I've come to my senses. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Cool Pocket Stuff

Newly Enlightened
I like Zebralight in whatever battery format your prefer. The super low modes are nice for navigating after dark without blinding everyone you're with. There's nothing like getting out of the tent and having your low mode not be low enough and scorching your eyeballs. I learned that the hard way.
:oops:

geokite

Newly Enlightened
One H32w, with mini USB rechargeable 16340 (backup batteries come from steripen), and for more daily use a lumintop HLAAA in a diy foam holder (0.8oz)

likethevegetable

Enlightened
I only really need my H53c... have never actually needed an extra cell even. But, I like having a lot of lumens for the fun of it so I'll carry an 18650 at the slight cost in weight.

And if I'm going to be carrying a battery bank anyways (My XTAR PB2), it only makes sense for me to carry my H600Fc. If you want to quickly swap between flashlight and headlamp mode, check out the ArmyTek mount. Here's a picture of my set up: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...raLight-Mods&p=5291230&viewfull=1#post5291230

If I was going to carry a flashlight as well, it would only make sense to be 18650 as well.. so the SC64w HI would be a good option since the light itself is a little over an oz and offer the throw that H600Fc lacks. Would also act as a battery holder if not used.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
H600w is used extensively. Sometimes I'll add in my SC600w HI which is usually just "for fun", but sometimes very useful when needing to see farther away. Worse case, it just serves as a backup battery holder for my H600w.