• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Klarus RS80vn - Long Turbo Search Light

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
  • Factory Link Click Here
  • Narsil D4 Ramping UI
  • Beam amazingly focus to perfect round hot spot at distance
  • Upgraded 21,000mAh 6*18650 Battery pack
  • Safe 6P battery configuration
  • Relatively low heat for combined throw and output performance
  • Upgraded USB Charging (2A Charge Rate)
  • $455 White2: ~ 2300L, 420Kcd, 1296m
  • $435 SST40 SD: ~ 5000L
  • $435 SST40 HD: ~ 6000L

$300 if you just want SST40 SD/HD Swapped to Stock light

Beam Shots Coming

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Nice! Blast from the past.....but with more blast.

W2 is nice. I leave the LEDs a bit underdriven to protect them in the long run for extended Turbo use.
Really want to see how SST40 compares
I am sure the numbers is nothing impressive in this day and age but it's a specialty light that is designed for serious work.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice.. i wish i can afford it.. i am currently aggressively investing in stock markets.. i be back !

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that's so cool looking. :)

Too bad we can't see W2 vs SST40 SD side by side as of yet.

It's nice that the D4 driver ramps down all 3 emitters for the lower outputs. That's better and more efficient than Klarus's dumb idea to turn off 1-2 of the LEDs and leave the 3rd at a higher level. :laughing:

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got it in today, thanks Vinh!

Light looks brighter than 2300 lumens and looks like it throws further than my 4000k TN40vn, which was also rated ~400k lux. You can definitely tell the D4 driver in the light is still thinking it's in a D4 host for anything above the regulated outputs. It has a timed stepdown at like 10 or 20 seconds, haha. I'll have to figure out how to change that in Narsil to not step down.

p6X1HCp.jpg

huRV4lj.jpg

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright so I did try my hand at configuring the light.

I clicked 10 times then held the button on the 11th. The light begins to blink out the temp limit. I held the button down during this whole process. The light begins to fastly pulse for a couple seconds, and then I released the button to set it to step down at its max temp reading. (If first set of blinks is first digit of temp and second set is second digit, then max temp is 71c).

Now instead of the light stepping down at about 10 seconds, it does it at anywhere from 30 seconds to 3-4 minutes depending on if it was a from a cold start or if the light was already warm. The stepdown effect is noticeable, but subtle. If I had to guess it steps down from what looks like 3000ish lumen to 2000ish lumen. Narsil also steps the output down further later on as well, to what looks like 1000 lumen or maybe even a little under, to keep the temp down below the set threshold, and it's a much less subtle drop.

So it looks like if you light the light step down from the initial burst of output within the first 10 seconds, it will settle at around 2000 lumens, while if you let it output its max for longer, it will have to step down twice to shed that additional heat.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Alright so I did try my hand at configuring the light.

I clicked 10 times then held the button on the 11th. The light begins to blink out the temp limit. I held the button down during this whole process. The light begins to fastly pulse for a couple seconds, and then I released the button to set it to step down at its max temp reading. (If first set of blinks is first digit of temp and second set is second digit, then max temp is 71c).

Now instead of the light stepping down at about 10 seconds, it does it at anywhere from 30 seconds to 3-4 minutes depending on if it was a from a cold start or if the light was already warm. The stepdown effect is noticeable, but subtle. If I had to guess it steps down from what looks like 3000ish lumen to 2000ish lumen. Narsil also steps the output down further later on as well, to what looks like 1000 lumen or maybe even a little under, to keep the temp down below the set threshold, and it's a much less subtle drop.

So it looks like if you light the light step down from the initial burst of output within the first 10 seconds, it will settle at around 2000 lumens, while if you let it output its max for longer, it will have to step down twice to shed that additional heat.

If you every want to go VNX2/3 to run Turbo as long as you want let me know. Free driver swap.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you every want to go VNX2/3 to run Turbo as long as you want let me know. Free driver swap.

We'll see. I'm gonna play around with the output times a little more on this. This host can't quite handle the heat for continuous use on the highest output, makes me wonder if it is actually above the 2300l luemns or not. The light initially stepped down at 10 seconds or so, do you think you measured it after than stepdown or before?

Ramping would be hard to give up. Thanks for the offer!

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
We'll see. I'm gonna play around with the output times a little more on this. This host can't quite handle the heat for continuous use on the highest output, makes me wonder if it is actually above the 2300l luemns or not. The light initially stepped down at 10 seconds or so, do you think you measured it after than stepdown or before?

Ramping would be hard to give up. Thanks for the offer!

Freshly charged it from cold start it doesnt step down in 10S. At least I dont remember so.

I havnt gotten time to mess around with Narsil Thermal setting. I need to try it. It step down all of the emmisar too fast too.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC the thermal stepdown was at 27C or 37C. So it would have stepped down fast and subtly. That's probably why you could run it at that slightly lower output indefinitely. I need to fully charge this battery pack to make sure though.

I'm not too keen on how drivers work, but the 20amp driver you use to drive CFT90s, would that be split 3 way to give roughly 7 amps to each W2?

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
IIRC the thermal stepdown was at 27C or 37C. So it would have stepped down fast and subtly. That's probably why you could run it at that slightly lower output indefinitely. I need to fully charge this battery pack to make sure though.

I'm not too keen on how drivers work, but the 20amp driver you use to drive CFT90s, would that be split 3 way to give roughly 7 amps to each W2?

That's a huge buck driver. Not suitable for this light.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay I charged the cells last night, but didn't know when to take them off the charger. Charged them for maybe 3hours. Checked the battery temp this morning and it reads out 4.5v. Is that too high? I'm not sure if certain cells peak at 4.5v as opposed to the 4.2v, hopefully it's not overcharged.

Checked the light's current temp (23c) and its temp limit (71c).

Ran turbo until stepdown, which occurred at 2:30, then checked temp after, which was 81c. The light cooled down to 40c in a matter of 90 seconds or so. Battery voltage was still 4.5v afterwards.

Ran the light again, this time its starting temp was 40c. It stepped down from turbo at around 2 mins, then stepped down again to a much lower output (<~500 lumens-- probably the level of its highest regulated output) at about 3 minutes in. Temp afterwards was read again at 81c.

Later on, I ran the light at maybe at about maybe 80-90% of the way up the ramp, so a little under turbo. The light had a subtle stepdown at around 3 minutes again, but then it seemed to level out at around 1500- 2000 lumens, doing very slight up and down steps to keep its temp regulated. I'm thinking the 2300 lumen output and 420kcd is with this 80% or so ramp Vinh, after the light initially stepped down for you. The light is probably closer to 3000-3500 lumen and 500kcd at its highest output, but the problem is it gets hot too quickly, so it won't be able to sustain 2000 lumen output after that, and has to step down to below 1000 lumens. If it starts at around 2000 lumens, it is able to maintain somewhere around 1000-1500 lumens continuously.

It's good to have both options, but it's too bad the D4 ramping software doesn't have a little blip around that 2000 lumen output, you kinda gotta guess at it. It's too bad I don't have any measuring equipment to actually graph the output over time.

After 20 minutes of constant output at what I'm guessing is 1000-1500 lumens, the battery pack went from 4.3v down to 4.2v, and the light was at around 65c.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Okay I charged the cells last night, but didn't know when to take them off the charger. Charged them for maybe 3hours. Checked the battery temp this morning and it reads out 4.5v. Is that too high? I'm not sure if certain cells peak at 4.5v as opposed to the 4.2v, hopefully it's not overcharged. I think you are fine. It will sag fast. I also did 3-4 charged cycles that are well over 8 hours charged each to make sure all work as it should.

Checked the light's current temp (23c) and its temp limit (71c).

Ran turbo until stepdown, which occurred at 2:30, then checked temp after, which was 81c. The light cooled down to 40c in a matter of 90 seconds or so. Battery voltage was still 4.5v afterwards.

Ran the light again, this time its starting temp was 40c. It stepped down from turbo at around 2 mins, then stepped down again to a much lower output (<~500 lumens-- probably the level of its highest regulated output) at about 3 minutes in. Temp afterwards was read again at 81c.

Later on, I ran the light at maybe at about maybe 80-90% of the way up the ramp, so a little under turbo. The light had a subtle stepdown at around 3 minutes again, but then it seemed to level out at around 1500- 2000 lumens, doing very slight up and down steps to keep its temp regulated. I'm thinking the 2300 lumen output and 420kcd is with this 80% or so ramp Vinh, after the light initially stepped down for you. The light is probably closer to 3000-3500 lumen and 500kcd at its highest output, but the problem is it gets hot too quickly, so it won't be able to sustain 2000 lumen output after that, and has to step down to below 1000 lumens. If it starts at around 2000 lumens, it is able to maintain somewhere around 1000-1500 lumens continuously.

It's good to have both options, but it's too bad the D4 ramping software doesn't have a little blip around that 2000 lumen output, you kinda gotta guess at it. It's too bad I don't have any measuring equipment to actually graph the output over time.

After 20 minutes of constant output at what I'm guessing is 1000-1500 lumens, the battery pack went from 4.3v down to 4.2v, and the light was at around 65c.

All the other guys ordered it with VNX2/3. I have a lot of fans for simple step UI + they like to be able to babysit their own heat. I would set up my personal searchlight like that too for the 100% control. SST40 sell hotter than W2 for this light though.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be interested in SST40 numbers, since I'm assuming that light can be driven much harder than the W2, which as to be restricted a little.