AW batteries - when to recycle them?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased some AW batteries a year or two ago and since then learned that the maker is no longer in business as of mid-2017. So, these batteries are at least two years old, maybe three. When should I recycle them?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased some AW batteries a year or two ago and since then learned that the maker is no longer in business as of mid-2017. So, these batteries are at least two years old, maybe three. When should I recycle them?

When they no longer perform the way you need them to. Depending on your usage, that might be when the batteries are 2 years old, or it might be when they are 10 years old.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, I have AW cells still performing reasonably well after at least 5-6 years now.

Their duty-cycle has been relatively gentle however ... not a lot of cycles, rarely topped off, rarely fully drained, generally exposed to mild ambient temperatures, etc.

Last edited:

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good question. I have several li-ion batteries throughout the years that no longer hold capacity. AW are some of them. I've refrained from throwing them in the garbage due to environmental concerns, but i also don't want to keep holding onto these ticking fire bombs.

Please let us know how to properly dispose of old lithium ion batteries

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good question. I have several li-ion batteries throughout the years that no longer hold capacity. AW are some of them. I've refrained from throwing them in the garbage due to environmental concerns, but i also don't want to keep holding onto these ticking fire bombs.

Please let us know how to properly dispose of old lithium ion batteries[/QU

Lowes?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several li-ion batteries throughout the years that no longer hold capacity. AW are some of them. I've refrained from throwing them in the garbage due to environmental concerns, but i also don't want to keep holding onto these ticking fire bombs.

Please let us know how to properly dispose of old lithium ion batteries

Whether you recycle them or throw them in the garbage, you should probably drain them completely flat, first. First drain them in a device down as far as they will go, probably around 2.5v. At that point, you can probably short them with a wire or metal object (do it safely outside and wear gloves). Leave it shorted for a day outside. After that, it should be down to 0v and not have any energy left in it to burn.

Lithium primaries probably still have some danger, since they contain lithium metal. I guess for those just toss them in your neighbor's garbage can. ;)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thank you, Arch! The Energizer site is great. Unfortunately, my local home depot and lowes do not accept batteries to recycle. Looks like i need to head to a battery specialized shop

You are welcome. I didn't realize those retailers' policy varied by location, however.