Mag2D LuxIII nFlex mod (8 brightness levels).

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pewter_Mag2D_01c.jpg

This is my Mag2D LuxIII nFlex mod with 8 brightness levels. Maximum brightness level reconfigured for 1000mA.
Pewter Mag2D, LuxIII TX1J emitter, blue glow ring, O-Sink, nFlex converter, UCL lens, smooth reflector, using 3xCR123 or 6AA NiMH batteries.

006c_Modified_switch.jpg
007c_Modified_switch.jpg

012d_Switch_nFlex_module_A.jpg
019d_Switch_nFlex_module_in_place.jpg
018d_Heatsink_Filled_with_epoxy.jpg

The bulb shaft has been cut 3mm above the base of the shaft. Then the switch was modded to a momentary pushbutton switch (off-on) and connected via the yellow wires to SWA and SWB of the nFlex. The little spring at the bottom of the switch (+ battery) was isolated from the original switch contacts and connected to the IN+ of the converter using the red wire. The black wire is going straight from the small metal strip that makes contact with the flashlight body (- battery) to the IN- of the converter. Finally two small slots were cut in the remaining part of the bulb shaft at the top of the switch. The converter board was placed upright in the slots and glued in place.

The nFlex converter is a high efficiency microcontroller based step down converter. A single momentary push button switch is used to turn the flashlight on/off and to select the brightness level. The nFlex is shipped configured for 350mA maximum drive level but can be reconfigured to 500mA, 700mA or 1000mA. There are 7 equally spaced brightness levels in addition to the nightlight level.

The nFlex is reverse polarity protected by a schottky diode in series with the IN+. Since I don't need polarity protection in this application I soldered a wire across the schottky diode to get some more time in regulation.

You can read more about the nFlex converter here and here .

001_Switch_components_01b.jpg

001_Switch_components_11d.jpg
001_Switch_components_12c.jpg

To modify the switch to a momentary push button the switch was disassembled and the teeth at the outside of part A and B were removed. It has to be mentioned that in fact only the teeth of part B have to be removed to change the stock clicky in a momentary push button switch. After removing the teeth both parts were glued together.

011_6AA_Battery_Holder_Finished_a.jpg

This is my 6AA battery holder. It's based on the 6AA holder sold by Elektolumens.

BeamShot_L1b.jpg
BeamShot_L2b.jpg
BeamShot_L3b.jpg
BeamShot_L4b.jpg

BeamShot_L5b.jpg
BeamShot_L6b.jpg
BeamShot_L7b.jpg
BeamShot_L8b.jpg

Beamshots from nightlight level to maximum brightness. Distance from the flashlight to the wall was 2m.

Lux reading at 1m using a Meterman LM631 at different brightness levels (input voltage = 7.2V):
Smooth reflector (level 1-8): 500 Lux, 1.100 Lux, 2.180 Lux, 3.490 Lux, 4.920 Lux, 6.560 Lux, 8.500 Lux, 10.550 Lux.
OP reflector (level 1-8): 320 Lux, 710 Lux, 1.390 Lux, 2.230 Lux, 3.140 Lux, 4.190 Lux, 5.410 Lux, 6.700 Lux.

Brightness at level 8 started dropping when Vin < 6.2V.
Vin=6.0V =>10.500 Lux; 5.4V => 9.940 Lux; 4.8V => 9.670 Lux.

The nFlex shuts off at 3.6V

Thanks to George for this very nice converter!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks for looking.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mag2D LuxIII nFlex mod (8 brightness levels)

Very nice configuration. looking forward to more pictures and beamshots at various level etc.

How do you change brightness levels? Is it with every click of the switch? Does it go in a round-and-round fashon or can you go both up and down whenever you choose?

Thanks.

Great work.

Curtis

jtice

Flashaholic

VERY nice icarus !!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Yours turned out much cleaner than my Uflex 2D mag.

I like how you used the stock switch, how did you make it just momentary?
I used an after market switch in mine.

Mine was basically an experiment to see if it could be done.
The Uflex was a VERY tight fit.
About half way through the build, I knew I would have to make another, cuz that one was soooo ugly inside. lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Nice work,

-John

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very Nice!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a very nice light.

I'm interested in your switch mod too.

If I made one I would probably put a power switch in
the tail cap to shut off the 0.2mA draw if I wasn't
going to be using the light for a few weeks or month
(.2mA from 1Ah = 5000 hours =~ 7 months).

Did you do your own glow ring? What type of epoxy
are you using?

Thanks - Greg

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Reading the PDF instructions: the min voltage
for the nFlex is 4.0 volts (lower if you short
out the protection diode, I believe). What happens
if you drain the batteries below that? Does the light
just shut off suddenly? Or does the light continue but
the microprocessor hangs so you can't change settings?

Thanks - Greg

jtice

Flashaholic

i think the Nflex shuts off.
The Uflex goes into direct drive.

i think

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Klaus

vacuum3d

Enlightened

I did the same exact mod except that your wiring job is much cleaner than my. Nice work. The dimming feature is just plain cool. Next step, add a power cut-off switch.

ernest

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

cue003,
The user can scroll through the brightness levels by pressing the button for longer than 1/2 sec. The brightness will either increase or decrease one level every 1/3 of a second. The nFlex will toggle from the bright or dim direction each time the button is released.
If the unit is turned on and the unit starts in nightlight mode, then the direction is initially set to increasing. If the unit is turned on and the unit starts at full brightness, then the direction is initially set to decreasing. If the unit is turned on at any in between level then the direction is initially set to increasing. Each time the brightness level is changed the new level is stored in EEPROM ready to be retrieved next time the unit is turned on.

greg_in_canada, jtice,
It's a bit difficult to explain how to mod the switch to make it a momentary push button switch and I don't have pictures of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
However I'll start (very) soon doing my next nFlex (LuxV) mod. I'll try to make some pictures and I'll update my initial post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

greg_in_canada,
Regarding the glow ring, mix as much glow powder as you can with some 2T clear epoxy. Use slow/medium cure epoxy, five minutes expoy is curing too fast. Green glow powder glows more than blue or whatever other colour.

Freddy

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
greg_in_canada said:
Reading the PDF instructions: the min voltage
for the nFlex is 4.0 volts (lower if you short
out the protection diode, I believe). What happens
if you drain the batteries below that? Does the light
just shut off suddenly? Or does the light continue but
the microprocessor hangs so you can't change settings?

Thanks - Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

My nFlex shuts off at 3.6V

Freddy

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Say you are running at max brightness and the
nFlex turns off because the voltage dropped below
4.0V (or 3.6 in your case).

Is there a way to get it to come back on at a dimmer
setting or is it crashed?

Maybe with a tail power switch you could give the
batteries a rest and then turn it on in night mode.

Greg

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Greg,

When the input voltage drops below the shut off voltage of the nFlex (3.6V in my case) the nFlex simply shuts off. As soon as the input voltage for what ever reason rises above 3.6V the nFlex will work normal (again). In other words the processor will not crash when the input voltage drops below shut off voltage.
When battery voltage drops below 4V (or 3.6V in my case) I really don't see any reason to give the batteries a rest hoping after some time battery voltage will rise sufficient to drive the nFlex at a useful level again. Using 6AA NiMH you could consider the batteries being depleted at 0.8V per cell or 6x0.8 = 4.8V.

Freddy

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

My thinking was that if you ran the light at a bright
setting until it went into reset it would be nice
to have a way to get it running again at a dimmer
setting so you have some light for searching for
more batteries.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
icarus said:
greg_in_canada,
Regarding the glow ring, mix as much glow powder as you can with some 2T clear epoxy. Use slow/medium cure epoxy, five minutes expoy is curing too fast. Green glow powder glows more than blue or whatever other colour.

Freddy

[/ QUOTE ]

Is 2T a brand of epoxy or something else. I've only
ever used Lepages 5 minute expoxy and it's quite yellow.

Thanks - Greg

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
icarus said:
The user can scroll through the brightness levels by pressing the button for longer than 1/2 sec. The brightness will either increase or decrease one level every 1/3 of a second. The nFlex will toggle from the bright or dim direction each time the button is released...

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of the LIONHEART

Brightnorm