NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mag2D LuxIII nFlex mod (8 brightness levels).

Default Re: Mag2D LuxIII nFlex mod (8 brightness levels)

icarus, the Nflex wont fit in a C mag huh?
    How close is it?
    The Uflex wouldnt really fit in the D mag, till I MADE it lol [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

jtice,

Dimensions of the nFlex are 27.94mm x 20.32mm.
    Room available is the MagC is 26.2mm x 28.3mm but that's for the nFlex AND the hotlips!

Of course using highly sophisticated modding tools you can always ‘customize’ the stock switch to create some additional room like you did before. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

icarus, ah I see, thats too bad. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I had to sand down the edges of the Uflex, to get it to fit better, but that is way too much sanding if you need to take off almost 2mm.

As far as the height, thats not a problem, you can mount the nflex IN the switch assembly, instead of on top of it in the bulb base, IF you use another momentary botton.

I will have to try another one of these soon, they make GREAT lights, that are really usable.
    Thanks for the info on modding the mags switch to momentary use, I will have to do that next time.

-John

Hi John,

Hmm… it will be close but I think it IS POSSIBLE to sand down the board by 2mm!
    I think I’ll have to give it a try after I finished my Mag2D LuxV mod. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks for the great idea! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Freddy

pffft, go ahead, steal another one of my original ideas. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    Were you the one that PMed me, asking tips in making the nflex mag? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]
    I couple ppl have asked me about it, so I cant remember who they were. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

I still havent gotten a good 5Wer to try in my MagUflex.
    Good thing is, it has the interchangable LED system, so I can just pop out the LuxIII, and pop in the 5Wer to try. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A LuxIII 2C mag, with Nflex and 3x123 wouldnt be bad at all though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

John,

As far as I know I didn't pm you about tips to do my nFlex mod. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
    Hmmm it seems some other people are stealing your bright idea's too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    I have to agree, a Mag2C LuxIII nFlex running on 3xCR123 batteries would be very nice! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Freddy

Freddy,
    That's what is so ironic; that I didn't copy your light. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img] I almost fell out of my chair when I saw your post! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] My wife got a real kick out of it though. She said something like, "You spent all that time making that light that you thought was sooo original, and someone else beat you to it!" all the while practically laughing at me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif[/img]

PS - Don't worry, I have no plans to do a Lux V. It would be pretty hard to beat my MR-X [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif[/img], so why bother trying. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hi LEDmodMan,

Yes, it’s amazing… but maybe it is like you mentioned before … “I guess great minds thing alike... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img] “ . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I should not have posted my nFlex mod if I had known your wife would be laughing at you all the time.
    But only after you sent me your Mr-X of course! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif[/img]
    Freddy

[ QUOTE ]
    icarus said:
    But only after you sent me your Mr-X of course! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img]

now, to get an o-sink, an Nflex and a 2d mag...

neg

Does it matter which one of the yellow wires you solder to SWA and SWB?

What gauge of wire did you use?

I'm making a list of mods I want to make and this is *definitely* one of them. Great pics! Those are of big help!

[ QUOTE ]
    greenLED said:
    Does it matter which one of the yellow wires you solder to SWA and SWB?

What gauge of wire did you use?

I'm making a list of mods I want to make and this is *definitely* one of them. Great pics! Those are of big help!

[/ QUOTE ]

After modding, the switch is isolated from the Mag body, so it doesn't matter which of the yellow wires you solder to SWA and SWB. You can use whatever kind of wire you want. Of course I don't recommend using solid wires.

Flashaholic*

Just came across this thread. How do you know when it's time to recharge the batteries so you don't end up over-discharging them.
    Bill

Default Re: Mag2D LuxIII nFlex mod (8 brightness levels).

I would suggest to recharge the batteries as soon as you see a drop in brightness.

being DC i would have expected a solid wire to work better than a braided one - DC travels THROUGH the wire, while AC travels on the SURFACE of the wire - for AC, braided is better, for DC, solid is better....

oh and one more thing - what kind of goop did you use to fill the void in the heatsink (o-sink or hotlips as it may be)? Arctic Alumina Adhesive? and did you put any thermal goo between the HS and the Mag body?

thanks again!

--neg
    "Barad-Dur was an inside job. Everyone knows dirty little hobbitses can't melt mithril beams."
    | too many 47s products
    | Mag2D nFlex LuxIII/6AA NiMh Mod (from when that was good) | Absurd Jayrob 5A MT-G2 MagLite | User 4798 |

Solid wire can easily break off when it’s bend that’s why I always use stranded wire in my mods.
    You’re right about the AC/DC story but in fact each wire in the strand is also a thin solid wire.

The white goop at the back of the heatsink is Devcon 2Ton mixed with alumina oxide powder.
    It isn’t really necessary but fixes the wires to the sink to prevent breaking off the leads to the led.

Enlightened

very nice flashligth!!!

sanbenny

Icarus, when you made this, did you have to do anything to the reflector other than de-camming it?

thanks!

--neg
    "Barad-Dur was an inside job. Everyone knows dirty little hobbitses can't melt mithril beams."
    | too many 47s products
    | Mag2D nFlex LuxIII/6AA NiMh Mod (from when that was good) | Absurd Jayrob 5A MT-G2 MagLite | User 4798 |

Hi neg, I just cut the cam.

I just built a Lux V version of this light with a WWOT and 8AA adaptor. I found your pictures very helpful in modding the switch and mounting the nFlex board. Your's is a very neat installation and excellent workmanship.

Thanks for the great post.
    If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Bill

I just wanted to say thanks for the pics as well. Though I didn't comment on this thread in particular, this is the thread that most directly gave me confidence to do my first Lux mods.

Though I didn't build it myself, my absolutely very favorite Mag-based light is a UW0K in a 2C with an nFlex and 2 18650 cells. I absolutely love it to pieces and one of my other favorite mods I've seen on this forum is WildRice's PQS-D with 4 different colored Lux IIIs, an nFlex and a pot to switch between the different LEDs. VERY trick!

On the size issue... did they reduce the size of the nFlex board? Again, I didn't build it, but my light most assuredly has an nFlex controller in the 2C host.
    "That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

for the kind words guys.
    Now I'm mounting the nFlex board in his own cage on top of the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus
    for the kind words guys.
    Now I'm mounting the nFlex board in his own cage on top of the switch.
    I am lovin' that cage! Any plans to make these available to those of us modding mortals?

Quote Originally Posted by Grubbster
    I am lovin' that cage! Any plans to make these available to those of us modding mortals?
    I've got a feeling that you're better off designing a new cage for the up-coming FatFlex board. That's going to be a very popular toy. It should be the same diameter as the Fatman but will have components on both sides of the board.
    If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Bill

depends - if you want buck, use the nFlex Cage. if you want boost, use the FatFlex Holder.....

--neg
    | too many 47s products

Here’s another picture, mounted on top of the MagD switch.

Since I have to make them on my hand operated lathe and mill it’s too time consuming to sell them separately, sorry.

it really awesome

This is such a beautiful build. Every component is done to a high standard. I like how all the pictures are still up after a decade of hosting.

To be honest I'm still proud of it. Thanks for the kind words.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12