Lubrication for flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_virus

Enlightened
This issue came up for me since I've been experiencing problems with my Infinity Ultra. The details are in the LED forum under "Infinity Ultra, common flaw?" The light is acting flaky due to either oxidation or the current being broken...quite possibly at the tailcap threading due to anodization. Anyways, I think some lube for this light couldn't hurt in any case.

I know silicon grease will lube it nicely, but will it also conduct electricity well?

I want to avoid anything petrolium based because it could eat away at the o-ring.

Looking for lube is like looking for a book, there are so many and all for different uses, applications and intentions. WD-40 is common, but it's not suited to the task since it's so runny and petrolium based. But what about Lithium grease, is that petrolium based, and will it conduct current well? I know you can use Li grease on car battery terminals, but the application on flashlights is a little more...er...delicate?

So to generalize this question so it applies to more cases, what's the best thing for flashlight lube?

naromtap

Enlightened
I was wondering the same earlier today...I only have WD40 here & felt it was too runny. Also, as you say felt car battery grease was to thick!

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Nyogel, its the stuff surefire use, you can get "O" ring grease or conductive grease, surefireparts on ebay sells it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

code09

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
SolarFlare said:
Nyogel, its the stuff surefire use, you can get "O" ring grease or conductive grease, surefireparts on ebay sells it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, and i beleive jtviat(?) was selling them on the non lights BST as well.

The_virus

Enlightened
Yeah I just read a bit about Nyogel, and it's a good solution, but what about something you could find locally at a hardware store?

I've got a need for both an o-ring friendly, and conductive lube I think. The threading in the Infinity Ultra is right beside the o-ring seal, so I need to provide a good lube for general screwing on and off of the light, as well as conducting the current AND not eating away at the o-ring. I think I'll just pick up some silicone grease, but I'm curious about what else could work like maybe Lithium grease.

Nyogel seems like the ultimate solution, albeit inconvenient since you can't just run to the store to get some.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
One of those little tubes lasts a very very long time its worth buying, you only need a tiny squirt I've had a tube for years and its still well over half full /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

naromtap

Enlightened
Nyogel does'nt appear to be avail here in the UK - even tried ebay UK & no luck. If silicone grease from a plumbing store is ok then I will get some of that as I have some dry threads that need attention.

bobbo

Newly Enlightened
Any good automotive parts store should have dielectric silicone grease - (rubber & plastic lubricant plus can lube
any elect. contacts.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dielectric grease is an electrical insulator as is WD40.
WD40 is evil stuff around electrical connections.
Nyogel 759g is the one that will work with 'O' rings and is conductive. Surefireparts.com ( hope that's the correct URL )
sells it in small quantities.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
WD40 is good for displacing water and as a penetrant. It is actually a poor lubricant, and over time will turn to gum. Don't insult your flashlights with it!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are multiple threads on what lubes to use or avoid, whether one grade of silicon is better than another, which lubes may or may not degrade o-rings, and where to find 'em, among others. Searching should give you lots of information. Good luck!

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want the Nye 759G I don't have any left but you can get it on ebay from Surefireparts.

JT

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
there's a thread om cleanig and lubing, I'll try to find it.
Unless you can get it easy or are just wanting it bad, i see no reson for the nygel.Conductivity will be much better served buy elctronic contact enhancer's such as caig product's. trust me on this. I will go look for that thread. VDG

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what does Caig's contact cleaner (I have plenty myself) do to O-rings over time? I would be a little reluctant to leave a palpable amount on my light threads where it might end up degrading the O-rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.