xbox 360 how in the world can they make it so cheap?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok i cut and paste this i know they make money off games but hect the hardware of this thing has to cost at least 900 bucks id guess plus they have labor.i mean there is no home pc with the proceser specs check it out and droll .i made this post before this is updated

Xbox 360™

Xbox 360: The Xbox 360 features three symmetrical cores running at 3.2GHz each, and a custom 500MHz ATI graphics processor for a movie-like experience.

The Premium System: The Xbox360 Premium System includes everything you need for the ultimate gaming experience. The Premium system includes the Xbox 360 console, 20GB hard drive, wireless controller, media remote, headset, component HD AV cable, Ethernet cable and Xbox Live Silver.

Go wireless: The built-in wireless receiver offers precision gameplay from wireless controllers.

Xbox Gamer Guide:The Xbox Gamer Guide is an entertainment gateway that instantly connects you to your games, friends, music, movies and downloadable content.

Save your games: Storage options include a20GB hard drive and Memory Units (not included) for taking your games on the go.

Not just for gaming: With the Xbox 360 you can watch DVD movies in progressive scan, or connect to portable music players and digital cameras for a true multi-media experience.

Personalized: The interchangeable faceplate and personalized menus allow you to truly make the Xbox 360 your own.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I must be missing the suggested price, because I don't see it? I'd bet it's 300-400 dollars though. If they lose money off of the units, they hope to make it up in accessories and software. Although I've read some video games (software) cost a 100 million to produce, they can make 600 million or more in sales. Since most users want more than one game, usually a lot more, I'd guess they are willing to recoup the money lost on the initial unit in spades, in the long run.

And who knows, if they buy enough components in mass, maybe the cost isn't as high as you estimate? Not sure if it's supposed to be out in time for Christmas, but can you say hard to find when first introduced?

bexteck

Enlightened
As mentioned above, the 360, and when it came out, the original x box are/were sold at a loss. Games are the major profit earners, since after the costs of creating them are paid, each copy only costs a few cents to make (CD, packaging, burning fee). Most people who would spend several hundred dollars on a game system will end up with a library of anywhere from 10-25 games, which at $50 a piece means $500-$1250 in games over a period of several years. This is more than enough to offset the loss when selling the system.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It's the same thing they do with inkjets-selll either at cost or even at a small loss, and then make it up with cartridges (unless you refill like I do). Also, these processors don't cost as much to make as you would think. I heard a processor like a 3 GHz P4 which might retail for $200 costs something like $5 to $10 to make. There is a markup at each step in the distribution process which accounts for the high price. I'm sure Sony is either making their own processors here, or buying them by the millions directly from someone who does.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Mark2 said:
Xbox is made by Microsoft, Sony's console is the Playstation.
Thanks. It shows how much I keep up on stuff like that. :eek:

Since MS doesn't make chips, I guess they're buying the µprocessors in bulk directly from Intel or some other supplier.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Microsoft probably has something to stop this, but could you take the processors and stuff out to create your own computer? It would probably be cheaper then buying it at a computer store?

Or if you could get windows or linux to run on it would be even better? What do you think microsoft does to stop people from doing this?

Makarov

Enlightened
offroadcmpr said:
Microsoft probably has something to stop this, but could you take the processors and stuff out to create your own computer? It would probably be cheaper then buying it at a computer store?

Or if you could get windows or linux to run on it would be even better? What do you think microsoft does to stop people from doing this?
Try to Google "X-box OS" or "X-box mod" etc etc.

I know that you can upgrade the older X-box with a bigger harddisk and insert a modchip, then you install a OS that makes it a real homeentertainmet system :D
You can also run Mac OS X on the old X-box, so I guess you are going to see some nice things for the 360 in the future.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can Microsoft sell it so cheap?

The same way they were able to afford giving away their Internet Exploer browser. They used profits from the other part of their business to give away something for free in order to gain market share.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Halo. :) Madden 200X, Quake4.................

Games for the next generation are going up $10 from $49 to $59. That and they only have to make a small profit margin on sales of a Gagillion units.

There is a linux retrofit for PS2 and maybe for the upcoming PS3 as well. Don't know anything beyond that however. Some hackers also ported Windows 95 to the older firmware on the PSP. I remember seeing a release of a desktop unit with the cell processor that two of the three new consoles at least will sport.

Navck

Enlightened
Reality wise, you can build a faster PC than that XBox if you bought stuff in bulk and pirated the OS/Used a 1000 copy (Etc) variant.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The answer is that they cannot make it so cheap. They take a loss selling the game box and try to make it up by selling software for the thing.

That is why they are working so hard to keep people from putting regular OS's on the dumb things. You're not going to buy games fo rit if you reload it with Linux ;) So they have fought that very hard since they dont want to finance your linux installations :D

raggie33

*the raggedier*
James S said:
The answer is that they cannot make it so cheap. They take a loss selling the game box and try to make it up by selling software for the thing.

That is why they are working so hard to keep people from putting regular OS's on the dumb things. You're not going to buy games fo rit if you reload it with Linux ;) So they have fought that very hard since they dont want to finance your linux installations :D
i give it 30 days after the release some one will have linux on it:).hect only good thingg is perhaps ill be able to aford games for my xbox now

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navck said:
Reality wise, you can build a faster PC than that XBox if you bought stuff in bulk and pirated the OS/Used a 1000 copy (Etc) variant.

This is proabably true, but only a handfull of corperations worldwide can afford to buy millions (if not more) chips in a single go.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
now i got the xbox one s for 250 bucks....and it has a builkt in 4k bluray player

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the US army is now using the standard Xbox 360 controller to aim it`s new laser weapons, Well $25 is better than wasting $25.000 on a controller that would not be nearly as good, The 360 controller is battle hardened.

I wonder if they will use the force feedback feature.

John

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Well the US army is now using the standard Xbox 360 controller to aim it`s new laser weapons, Well $25 is better than wasting $25.000 on a controller that would not be nearly as good, The 360 controller is battle hardened.

I wonder if they will use the force feedback feature.

John
2 cool