What watch you're wearing?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of Seiko. Whole lotta watch for the price.
One of those is definitely going on my list. I need a new Pilot/field watch
I replaced the stock strap with a black leather one with orange stitching. Photo from today.
53694891361_a7ed00abdb_h.jpg

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have heard rumors that a Citizen Eco-Drive solar battery is good for a minimum of 10 years, max. of 20 years. But the one in my BM7080-03E is still going strong over 20 years later. Plus, best part is, unless the power reserve is down to 0% the light can be recharged with a very bright flashlight. Surprised that Citizen models aren't more popular on CPF than they are.
Hey Monocrom... yes indeed, Citizen Eco-Drive watches are awesome. Sensibly priced, quite accurate, and you never have to even think about power. Oceanus solars are really great watches, too. Can't leave out Seiko solars either.

I keep my solar watches on a small stand which faces a wall with a window. They are always kept at 100% charge.
53695106488_fe52ce3faf_o.jpg

Last edited:

allburger

Enlightened
Found this thread, thought I would contribute.

I've had the Rolex GMT Master for about 2 years. My other daily's are an omega seamaster…but my true hobby is collecting Seiko divers. I have a few SKXs, and my personal favorite the Seiko 7002-7039.

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpeg
    IMG_1191.jpeg
    538.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3641.jpeg
    IMG_3641.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8509.jpeg
    IMG_8509.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 28

raggie33

*the raggedier*
It still makes me laugh when I see my watch say it's water proff till 330 feet lol if I'm 330 feet under water I'd be not concerned about watch I'd be concerned about dieing lol

Bucur

Enlightened
I like GPS, Bluetooth and Radio Controlled solar watches. They make sense. I actually have a G-Shock GA-B2100. It is a wonderful beater for me. I wear it almost every day but only in my woodworking shop or in my garage when also wearing a boiler suit. I want to enjoy more substantial ones but something holds me back.

Recently, I was on the market for a daily watch without any complications, with titanium case and bracelet. I was looking for something like a field watch or pilot's watch with some degree of causal dressiness. The Seiko Astron GPS Limited Edition was just what I was looking for. I would finally enjoy the merits of Solar GPS technology. I was about to pull the trigger, but nope! The Longines Spirit seduced me.

I now have to contend with an accuracy that the Astron would make fun of, in addition to either putting the watch on a winder or, wind and adjust it whenever I use it less often than 3 days. As a bonus, I will get it periodically serviced by an authorized dealer. I wonder why I gave up perfect accuracy, months of power reserve and lifetime autonomy but somehow, I do not regret. It seems there is magic in old school.
Spirit.jpg

iacchus

Enlightened
I like GPS, Bluetooth and Radio Controlled solar watches. They make sense. I actually have a G-Shock GA-B2100. It is a wonderful beater for me. I wear it almost every day but only in my woodworking shop or in my garage when also wearing a boiler suit. I want to enjoy more substantial ones but something holds me back.

Recently, I was on the market for a daily watch without any complications, with titanium case and bracelet. I was looking for something like a field watch or pilot's watch with some degree of causal dressiness. The Seiko Astron GPS Limited Edition was just what I was looking for. I would finally enjoy the merits of Solar GPS technology. I was about to pull the trigger, but nope! The Longines Spirit seduced me.

I now have to contend with an accuracy that the Astron would make fun of, in addition to either putting the watch on a winder or, wind and adjust it whenever I use it less often than 3 days. As a bonus, I will get it periodically serviced by an authorized dealer. I wonder why I gave up perfect accuracy, months of power reserve and lifetime autonomy but somehow, I do not regret. It seems there is magic in old school.
View attachment 61539
That Longines is a beaut! It's hard to beat those classic faces. And plenty of heritage to back it up.

Mine today was this retro Seiko. Weirdly great accuracy from an automatic. You'd think it was a quartz. Less than a minute a week. Really got lucky with this one.
20240503_102215.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im ocd i like crazy acuracy this casio has been great but the armitron i dont know yet just got it s a few nights ago but for 11 bucks i like the watch it has big numbers but i worry about batttery life the casio says it has 10 hours may switch back to casio...i get into watches big time then get out for a while....started ogg back in my 10k days now im to old to run 1 k lol

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is much to be said for solar power (once charged, it could run for 9 months without seeing any light at all). Given any small amount of any kind of light on an occasional basis, it will never run low on power.

And the radio-controlled accuracy keeps up to the second accuracy at all times.

I love that stuff about Oceanus, but it was the exquisite Zaratsu (people who polish the Grand Seiko cases) case polishing and the looks that won me over to this Oceanus. I swapped the bracelet for leather, just because I like the look and feel of leather.

52803078714_39399f1b0e_o.jpg

Last edited:

Bucur

Enlightened
There is much to be said for solar power (once charged, it could run for 9 months without seeing any light at all). Given any small amount of any kind of light on a periodic basis, it will never run low on power.

And the radio-controlled accuracy keeps up to the second accuracy at all times.

I love that stuff, but it was the exquisite Zaratsu (people who polish the Grand Seiko cases) case polishing and the looks that won me over to this Oceanus. I swapped the bracelet for leather, just because I like the look and feel of leather.

View attachment 61576
I totally agree on Radio Controlled (or GPS or Bluetooth) solar watches and I cannot rationalize my old school choice. I reckon this is emotional rather than rational.

I also agree on the look and feel of leather straps but I cannot wear them daily because I sweat a lot. They develop a stinky stiffness in no time. I can enjoy leather only with dress watches because of their limited use in less demanding conditions. Your post made me think that you are living what I keep dreaming about. Just enjoy.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally agree on Radio Controlled (or GPS or Bluetooth) solar watches and I cannot rationalize my old school choice. I reckon this is emotional rather than rational.

I also agree on the look and feel of leather straps but I cannot wear them daily because I sweat a lot. They develop a stinky stiffness in no time. I can enjoy leather only with dress watches because of their limited use in less demanding conditions. Your post made me think that you are living what I keep dreaming about. Just enjoy.
I enjoy auto mechanical watches and steel bracelets at times, also. I switch up what watch I wear every few days, and even occasionally more than once a day. Just choosing by mood and whim, sometimes by activity. I like solar, automatic/mechanical, and quartz, as well as bracelets, leather straps, and NATOs. All good! :)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Soon a piece of surfing history will be on my wrist.
IMG_5360.jpeg

From a time when the "boogie board" phenomenon began.

Surfing began long ago when island royalty saw people returning from fishing riding waves in their boat. Some king decided to do it standing on a slab of wood. Europeans saw it and decided to try it. It was a hit but some fuddy duddy types declared it debauchery so the sport went underground.

In the early 20th century body surfing was popular enough to hold contests. There were pro body surfers. Marion Morse was a famous body surfer. But those folks were also cliff divers and old Marion hurt his arm cliff diving. He was striving to be an Olympic swimmer but the injury squashed that idea. He took a job building movie sets and landed an acting job. We call him John Wayne these days.

For a while the underground aspect remained. There were probably less than 100 surfers across planet earth until the 1960's when a movie called Gidget changed all that. Suddenly beaches were littered with surfers and board shapers couldn't make them fast enough.

By 1970 there was probably 30 million people surfing. Yet good waves were few and far between. Americans took up skateboarding. Concrete waves were in every big city. By the late 1970's so many people had crashed on them and sued that the sport nearly died.

In the meantime Tom Morey had developed the belly board. He couldn't decide what to call it but when someone suggested you ride it like dancing to that old pre WW II music 'boogie swing' he called it the boogie board. In 79 he sold the idea to a big company who made millions and sold them in departments stores and ocean side gift shops. Suddenly kids could ride waves again, even if the waves on their beach were small.

Town & Country cashed in on the idea and created a series of belly boards. The watch shown was part of their promotion back then.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
This tool watch is a favorite of mine, even if I rarely ever make use of the chronograph and other sub dials. :rolleyes:

Solar power and nightly set's itself to the U.S. Government Atomic Clock in Colorado.

I guess I just love how it looks and how accurate and easy to live with it is. (Always running, always perfect time to the second, no winding, no batteries, etc.) Titanium bracelet replaced with leather, just as personal preference.
52786533480_c034fcad6d_k.jpg

Last edited: