Have you chosen one brand's power-tools platform?

Then there are the microwave and hot water heater. Maybe other platforms have these crazy expensive, not necessarily practical fun things? Too bad so much Makita is made in a less than preferred country now days.
🤔 Why, pray tell, do you need a hot water heater? Seems redundant, and yes, not necessarily practical. 😁

iacchus

Enlightened
header.jpg

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Corded tools work for me, given that we have a large battery bank at our house and AC power on our Tacoma during fire season.

This will be our second foray into battery powered after the battery powered Stihl chainsaw and string trimmer that has served us so admirably for years.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ryobi can try all they want, I ain't touching their tools again.

Tried twice, with a Ryobi jigsaw and an orbital sander.
With the jigsaw, the blade mount was constantly slipping to the point where it was literally smoking. There was no risk of the blade falling out, as it had a lock, but the blade was attached too loosely and rubbing against the mount every time it went up and down during use, generating heat.

The Ryobi jigsaw was literally dangerous. I received it, I unboxed it, I placed a sheet on the pad and started using it. After about 30 seconds, the disc flew off. And fortunately away from me. And I'm not talking about the sanding sheet separating from the velcro, I'm talking about the whole pad that is screwed to the sander coming undone, without warning, and flying off.

I placed the disk back on, tightened the screw to the breaking point...and it flew off a second time a minute later. I did not try it a third time.
The sander went back into the box, I contacted the E-tailer for a return and a refund, explaining what had happened. Got my money back without questions, and I got a call the next day from a senior manager, asking if there was any injuries. Fortunately there was none - the disk flew away from me both times. The sander was off their site within a week later.

These were both older models, before the Ryobi "One+"-series was even a thing, so they may be better now. But I won't be one to find out.
I can't blame you. If I had had your experiences, I definitely would have standardized on a different brand. Looking at my current collection of Ryobi tools from the current One+ era, none are high rotation nor high impact.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dewalt jigsaw just releases blades in the middle of cutting, at first i thought it was faulty, then I noticed i no longer have a saw itself jumping up and down like i did with corded bosch, turns out is it s safety feature, if the blade gets stock instead of the unit banging on a project it just pops the blade out. it is this type of lock

Attachments

• jig.jpg
    jig.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 27

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Stay away from Kobalt. I bought 2 tire inflators to put in each vehicle, and they both quit working within a year. Pure junk.
Hate it when something does well in initial testing but then craps out because of cheap internals, later on. And, yes; I've seen independent reviews where the Kobalt tire-inflator does a great job right out of the box. Definitely best to stay away from bottom-of-the-barrel, in-house brands. Kobalt for Lowe's, Hart for Wal-Mart, Warrior for Harbor Freight, etc. Though for some odd reason, I've had consistent good luck with Home Depot's Husky brand. (Hand-tools only.) Not even remotely high-quality. But seems good enough for most tasks.

Had a pair of Kobalt gloves that literally disintegrated on me after 4 or 5 years stored in a plastic bag in the trunk of my car. Used them twice before for very small jobs. I'm looking inside the bag, I'm freaking out because I think it's full of fleas.... Then I realize it's not fleas. Kobalt colors are blue and black. The black portion fell apart from the blue and looked like tiny round fleas inside the plastic bag.

I threw away the bag with the gloves in it, and immediately bought myself a pair of much more expensive, and much better quality Milwaukee gloves; instead. (Lamb skin lined too.) Work Gloves are definitely worth paying for. Speaking of Milwaukee and tire-inflators, yeah.... Once again, not cheap; but worth it!

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a small variety. I get pretty good deals on some stuff from garage sales and estate sales. I buy some stuff from stores. I have some Ryobi, Kobalt, Dewalt, 1 Metabo, 1 Bauer, 3 Hercules. I'm kind of all over the place.

PlanBTorches

Newly Enlightened
I've been using Dewalt. Nothing special about that choice, it's just what I started with and I haven't had any issues. I'll stay with Dewalt unless I run across a company doing real built-in-the-usa tools in which case I'd be tempted to switch.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a range of power tools, some adopted others "gifted" or simply salvaged and many with a lot of years on them...

Einhell/Ozito
Ryobi
Bosch
Black & Decker

I can see the appeal of a one battery for all approach but sometimes I just prefer the other manufacturers specific product :grin2:

Poppy

Flashaholic
About a week ago, I picked up a nail in my tire, and got a slow leak. I have a Ryobi tire inflator, and used it to bring the tire up to pressure. I put the inflator into my trunk when finished.
1716027907097.png

A few days ago, I had my car in the shop to swap out a rear axle bearing, to get an oil change, and to plug that tire.

Wouldn't you know it, that morning, my daughter went to her car and found that she had a flat to the rim. It was raining. I dreaded the thought of having to swap her tire, but my inflator was a mile and a half away.

Then it dawned on me that I have an air tank.
I hoped that I put it away packed with air, and that it held.
1716028221790.png

YES!!!
I filled her tire with air to spare, put the tank in the back of her car, and told her to go get the flat fixed on the way to work. I noted that she had picked up a nail, and it was located in a center tread, so it would be safe to plug it.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Xiaomi tire inflator, it's been working good, but the battery doesn't last forever. It will inflate 4 tires, adjust 3 and fill one, but not much more.

@Law wow, Ryobi and Milwaukee (and Ridig and Hart) are owned by the same company? There are definitely big gaps in quality between those brands, though.

I have heard that there is a type of Craftsman tools that is basically a Dewalt.

You know what I don't like?
I don't like that none of these batteries work with other tools.
I don't like that no one makes a generic battery with good cells.

I was watching a video about batteries and I guess some manufacturers put the battery protection in the battery and some put the battery protection in the tool.

Last edited:

yearnslow

Enlightened
In the dim and distant past, I had a good collection of Makita tools, the ones actually made in Japan.
They were very reliable, the only one I have kept (due to losses, breakages and retirement) is a small palm sander,
which is still fully operational after over twenty years of hard usage (and a few new foot pads).

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Not sure how it is in the flashlight world, but in my world - the PC gamer world - it's not acceptable to post a long list of owned content (obvious bragging) without backing it up with something substantial, such as pictures. Or as we say it: "pics, or it didn't happen".

So with that in mind...

Here are some pics of my collection of tools.
Am in the middle of a spring cleaning, so I have everything on hand these days, in case I decide to do some "aggressive renovation".

Attachments

• IMG_1507_50.jpg
    IMG_1507_50.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1505_50.jpg
    IMG_1505_50.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 16

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You know what I don't like?
I don't like that none of these batteries work with other tools.
I don't like that no one makes a generic battery with good cells.
Good news. Someone is putting in the effort. A company called Ceenr. Take any brand's battery and use a special adapter to run it on power-tools made by other brands (not Ryobi though). Apparently a new project that will cover a bunch of brands at first. We'll see how successful they are.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are adapters from any batt to any tool already on the market, have been for years, some are not bad some are crap. I had one, it worked fine with a vacuum, but not with grinder. if i tried few more, probably i'd find one that works with high load tools.