Malkoff Triple regulation?

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone point me to any threads that tested the regulation of the Malkoff Triple? A run-time graph would be great.

Also has anyone heard of these triples using three Cree MC-E in the future?

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, being this thread hasn't had any takers. Has anyone done any "informal" tests on the regulation of the triple?

Last edited:

KeukaLite

Newly Enlightened
OK, being this thread hasn't had any takers. Has anyone done an "informal" tests on the regulation of the triple?
Hi John2551!

I bought the Malkoff triple about 6 weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier with it! I don't have the equipment (yet:D) to produce a runtime chart, but I can tell you that I don't detect any noticible difference in output from the time freshly charged NiMH batteries are installed until the time I take them out to recharge them. I have the 6D MagLite with 6 - 12,000 mAh Titanium NiMH batteries. Here's what the Malkoff website says:

"This is a Drop-In Module for Maglite® 4-5-6 C&D cell flashlights. It is our brightest dropin offered. It is rated at 750+ bulb lumens on 4 to 6 cells. It will easily light objects at 500+ feet. The beam is aproximately 10-12 degrees with a nice combination of spot and flood. The Drop-In module is constructed of CNC machined structural aircraft aluminum and has three regulated drivers."

I usually walk 3 nights before a recharge (little over 3 hours), but have gone 4 and not noticed any change in output.

I still owe a review of the Malkoff light here:whistle: but just haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe over Christmas....

Hope this helps some!

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that info. I guess then the drop-in has good regulation from your report. Do you mind to check if the light dims after 4-5 hours or stays 100% bright the whole time & them just shuts off.

KeukaLite

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that info. I guess then the drop-in has good regulation from your report. Do you mind to check if the light dims after 4-5 hours or stays 100% bright the whole time & them just shuts off.

I know that I cannot detect any difference after 4 hours of runtime, however I have never let it go long enough to see if or when it shuts off due to regulation. I like to charge my batteries every 3-4 days so it never shuts off due to low power (although I always carry my Fenix T1 as a backup:twothumbs)!

Gene43

Enlightened
It shouldn't shut off with that battery setup. The buck drivers will drop into direct drive if it drops below 3.8v.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene,

Thanks for that info.

Will you be switching the Triple from Cree Q5 to Cree MCE in the future?

John

PS i'd love a triple MCE drop-in for a 4C mag i just happen to have lying around!