14500 case?

JML

Enlightened
Anyone know of a storage case for 14500 batteries? The Nitecore NL1410 1000mAh batteries won't fit in the cases I have for AA batteries because they're just too long.

JML

Enlightened
I tried the PowerPak case today. Just too short to hold the 14500 securely (at least the Nitecore batteries). The batteries go in, but are not retained by the little clip at the top.

Last edited:

JML

Enlightened
Anyone try these?

My AA cases won't close if the 14500 batteries are in it:

These won't close, either:

61u7uNBakVS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

JML

Enlightened
Forget it. The batteries won't fit in the light I got (a Maratac, apparently made by Lumintop). They're too long and the positive pin is too short.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget it. The batteries won't fit in the light I got (a Maratac, apparently made by Lumintop). They're too long and the positive pin is too short.
:)
I'm not laughing at you, but actually myself, 'cause I got stupid and did the same thing once - bought a light w/ unusually short cell requirement, then bought some cells too long for it.

I can't speak for the button terminal dimensions, but here's how I solved my problem. These are what I'm using in my ET D25As (which require a very short cell). You might want to grab a couple of these while they're still around (I think they're being discontinued) and try them. As far as overall length is concerned, they're amost certain to fit in your light (they're sub-50mm). They'll no doubt fit the case(s) you bought as well. They even fit a D25A just fine:

These also work in a D25A, although I prefer the Nitecores because they're just a bit shorter (better fit) than these, and also have a higher current rating - but it's good to have a second option that will work:

JML

Enlightened
I was just looking at the Battery Junction site before I saw your response. I ordered this one to try:

It has a USB-C port, which I'd vastly prefer over the micro-USB port. I have a Nitecore 2-cell charger that would work with a 14500, but I can live with the USB-C port easily.

The light works fine with regular lithium AA batteries, so I hope the Acebeam fits. It would be nice if the various makes specified dimensions, but that's never going to happen.

Ironically, it looks like the Nitecore batteries I tried first might be the reason the ones you noted are being replaced. https://www.nitecorestore.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=14500&Submit=🔍+

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just looking at the Battery Junction site before I saw your response. I ordered this one to try:

It has a USB-C port, which I'd vastly prefer over the micro-USB port. I have a Nitecore 2-cell charger that would work with a 14500, but I can live with the USB-C port easily.

The light works fine with regular lithium AA batteries, so I hope the Acebeam fits. It would be nice if the various makes specified dimensions, but that's never going to happen.

Ironically, it looks like the Nitecore batteries I tried first might be the reason the ones you noted are being replaced. https://www.nitecorestore.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=14500&Submit=🔍+

Re: The newer NC cell: Many just look for the biggest capacity number (like lumen numbers on a flashlight) and start clicking, and NC may realize that.

so I hope the Acebeam fits

Well, unless you're seeing something I'm not seeing, 'hope' may be all you have! If so, good luck with that. For some reason, I don't even see a length spec listed for the AB cells at the link you posted - which is VERY unusual for BJ. So, I looked them up on an AB site, and I can't find any dimensions there either! I may be missing something(?). The lack of complete specs is a red flag to me:

What is the length of the AB cell &/or the reason you think they'll fit?

Priorities. My top priority is length. After that's fully met, I care about current rating, then capacity. I care very little about the charging connector type, or even the internal charging itself, so that's a very distant 4th to me. Internal charging is a 'nice to have' for me, not a requirement, and not a decision factor. I keep a few of several sizes of that type around primarily for when I'm traveling, but generally don't use inboard charging 99% of the time. I do realize that's a priority for some, however.

Anyway, what length do you have for the AB cell? I'd like to have another option available. Options are good...especially with products from the other side of the world, where they change product lines / models like I change socks. That said, I need millimeters, not hope. I've learned my lesson about 'hope'.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The newer NC cell: Many just look for the biggest capacity number (like lumen numbers on a flashlight) and start clicking, and NC may realize that.
@JML

BTW, just as a side note...

I recently went through a similar dilemma w/ 16340 cells, so not my 'first rodeo'. I guess I like short lights;-) NC just replaced their 'main' 16340 cell (NL166), rated @650mAh, with a new one (NL169) rated @950mAh, abeit at a lower current rating and with a slightly longer length than the cell it replaces. It appears NC has indeed shifted their priorities a little in favor of capacity numbers, which is another reason for my comment. I guess they know capacity sells.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
County Comm delrin AA battery-locker would have been my suggestion.
But moot point now, apparently.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I know.... smells like dead fish that's been left out in the sun too long.
The smell never bothered me, too much.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had those for CR123A batteries. There's a problem with delrin over time and heat. It degrades and releases formaldehyde gas. I threw mine away.

Think I'll pass on that. I have carried a spare 123 in an original Fenix E15 though. Not much bigger than the smallest cell carrier, doesn't smell, and it kinda gives me 'N+1' backup for both a cell and a light at the same time (and probably didn't cost much / any more) than the aforementioned carrier). I don't really like using the light anyway, so at least I can get some use out of it that way. Right now, it's a 'spare cell' in a car.