Blue-Point Light on Amazon

scorpiom

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a cheap, general use flashlight. I don't want to break the bank but saw a blue-point flashlight recommended on another site.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C52RR8I/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I also read that this is the same light as a Brinkmann Legend LX but this is actually priced cheaper on sale.

I know the batteries for this can get expensive (around $1.50 each on Amazon) but could I swap out the bulb for one that uses less energy? Would using rechargeable batteries affect the performance in any way?

Thanks in advance!

skillet

Enlightened
Wouldn't be able to use rechargeables with the stock bulb, would probably insta-flash the filament. I don't believe the bezel is compatible with P60 style dropins either. If you could source a Brinkmann Maxfire LX, it is compatible with P60 dropins. I keep mine loaded with Malkoff M61's.. The Maxfire was the poor mans G2 back in the day!! Still a great host.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This is one of those cases where going in is nice an inexpensive. It's probably a nice light in terms of incandecent lights.

But swapping emitters, using rechargeable batteries or just feeding it batteries and replacing the bulb if you stay stock will double your cost quickly. Can you even find replacement bulbs for it?

Go to home depot and buy a $15 Rayovac 2aa indestructible...or an Energizer Hardcase 2aa.
Or go to a Sears and buy the $8 Craftsman 2aa.

Unless you want an incan light. If that's the case a mini mag 2aa incan can be had at Wal Marts from $7-9...and comes with 3 spare bulbs.

Last edited:

scorpiom

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably go ahead and pick up on the Blue-Points on Amazon for $10 shipped to use as a backup and I'll pick up one the $15 Rayovac's to use as more of a daily light since the batteries are so much cheaper.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would stay away from that, save your money, and get a decent LED light. Incans are obsolete. I just picked up a 300 lumen 2AA Rayovac LED Indestructible at Home Depot that will blow that thing out of the water.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably go ahead and pick up on the Blue-Points on Amazon for $10 shipped to use as a backup and I'll pick up one the $15 Rayovac's to use as more of a daily light since the batteries are so much cheaper.

Good call on using it for a back up.

When it arrives, please give us your thoughts. Although the incan isn't popular these days they are still usefull at putting out light in darkness and are still prefered by many here at CPF.
We all use LED for practical use, yet several here still use the good ole incan when using flashlights for pleasure or when gentle light is prefered.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good call on using it for a back up.

When it arrives, please give us your thoughts. Although the incan isn't popular these days they are still usefull at putting out light in darkness and are still prefered by many here at CPF.
We all use LED for practical use, yet several here still use the good ole incan when using flashlights for pleasure or when gentle light is prefered.

You can have nearly the same qualities with a 2600-4000K 90+ CRI LED(you can even get 96+ CRI now) yet get far better efficiency. Many different LED options are readily available. I have to agree, incans are pretty much obsolete now. I bet they will soon stop making them(they already have banned 100watt incans in a lot of places). I still like to have one or two around though to remember the old days.

This light should be at least decent though because most of Snap-on's endorsed Blue Point stuff I have is pretty good.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ I know all those "better" LED's are out there.
But whether the crowd gets it or likes it there are still some folks who prefer the incan light.

And at MIT there is a bulb being tweaked that already rivals the LED for brightness and fuel efficiency. Another geek in South Korea is also nearing an unveiling of an incan that outdoes the LED while being even thinner.

So while the crowd says incan is obsolete, Streamlight, Pelican, MagLite and others (apparently including Snap On) disagree.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ I know all those "better" LED's are out there.
But whether the crowd gets it or likes it there are still some folks who prefer the incan light.

And at MIT there is a bulb being tweaked that already rivals the LED for brightness and fuel efficiency. Another geek in South Korea is also nearing an unveiling of an incan that outdoes the LED while being even thinner.

So while the crowd says incan is obsolete, Streamlight, Pelican, MagLite and others (apparently including Snap On) disagree.

I have no problem with incan or anyone who likes them. I still have a couple as I said.

I hope one day those technologies do become mainstream but, for now LED is the king of efficiency. Durability is also another issue. They would have to make those technologies be able to take the punishment LED tech can. Because one of incans biggest downsides is how easily they are damaged.

All of those companies have more LED then incan now and this particular flashlight is being sold by a liquidation warehouse(very old stock they just want to get rid of, hense the price). Snap-on probably hasnt sold those for 10 years.

This light is a pretty good deal at these prices. And, like you said, incan still has some appeal. You just cant beat that CRI.

Last edited:

LeBig

Newly Enlightened
I could never keep a working Xenon in my Surefire lights. Not sure that this one would be any different. Spend the extra couple bucks and get a Convoy S2.