can someone tap two titanium lights (m2.5 threads) for McG clip? [EU preferred]

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I guess the title already gave it away. I am looking to have these two titanium lights tapped for a McGizmo or Steel Flame clip. I´d like to keeep it within the EU.

One is this Moddoo E-Series Ti (currently not tapped at all)
moddoo-kl1-k.jpg

the other this Sinner (yeah I know it already sport a McG clip but it hardly fits as you can see from the position of the screws and the Steel Flame clip I´d like on it doesn´t fit
sinner-apocalypse2-k.jpg

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Re: can someone tap me two titanium lights with m2.5 threads for McG clip? [EU prefer

If you can't find someone in the EU I'll be happy to do that work. Some images attached of a job I did yesterday on three Mac's Customs (two titanium & one brass). Some thoughts:

• In the USA the most used pocket clip thread size is #4-40. McGizmo, Mac's, J Hanko, etc. all use this size. It's really close in diameter & strength to M2.5 & most USA shops have a few 4-40 taps in their inventory. Many USA shops would have to order in a M2.5 tap. The taps I use for Ti-6-4 are made by Guhring & cost almost $75 each.
  • Check with Moddoo to see where he recommends attaching a pocket clip. Hole placement is critical & cannot interfere with switch function.
  • It looks like the Sinner was tapped for something other than a McG clip. I've never installed a Steel Flame clip but the hole spacing appears to be similar to McGizmo/Mac's/Hanko/etc. Not sure how a shop would be able to fit a clip to that light & make it look good.

Attachments

• macs3 (1 of 1).jpg
    macs3 (1 of 1).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 137
  • macs2 (1 of 1).jpg
    macs2 (1 of 1).jpg
    110 KB · Views: 129
  • macs1 (1 of 1).jpg
    macs1 (1 of 1).jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 139

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: can someone tap me two titanium lights with m2.5 threads for McG clip? [EU prefer

You've got three choices for attachment. 1. Weld the present hole back up, blend into the present contour, and re-drill and tap. 2. Do a double flush rivet installation, then drill and tap. 3. Go with an oversized fastener to cover the different hole pattern you presently have.

I've used all three methods, and the most costly is the weld, drill and tap. The cheapest is the oversized fastener.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast

You mean regarding the Sinner? The new holes will be on the opposite side of the holes it has right now. So no welding or redrilling necessary.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I usually avoid looking at Ti lights for fear that I will fall in love and want to buy one. The Moddoo photo is a great looking light. Sorry for the off topic distraction but I couldn't help it.

Harry

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Moddoo Tailcap now has M2.5 threads and a nice clip attached to it. Thanks to *Laser*!