Don Kellers last hurrah- the Brinkmann Legend

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
And here's a review of the Legend Line from Combat Handguns 1989 issue. This would have been written about a year after they came out. The Legend is now a budget line because the manufacturing was moved to China in 1994 but at the time the line was a premium line that was priced about the same as a Maglite and manufactured in Kansas City. I don;t know a ton about the Legend line but I may be able to help if anyone has any questions.

CH1.jpg

CH2.jpg

CH3.jpg

CH4.jpg

EDIT: Trying this again. I have high res scans if anyone wants them please send me a PM and I'll e-mail them.

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread! My first real EDC light was a 2AA Brinkmann Black Max, bought in a Kmart in the 80's. The one that was an exact copy of the 2AA Minimag before they changed the shape of the head. Only difference was the head on the Brinkmann was not removable and could not do candle mode.

I remember getting excited seeing the Legend series as I craved a tailswitch for my Minimags. We had them all over the house. I actually had no idea Don Keller was involved in the Legend flashlights. First time I remember seeing them was in the "Sharper Image" store.

Thanks Mike for the history lesson!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_20170622_052719_zpsb7gnepfc.jpg

left the now held hostage link in place as a reminder that on 6/30/17 they decided I have to pay them $40/ mth or $400/yr to show it...

Some non-budget
HZbsaxG.jpg.jpg

A 3aa executive and a 3C Eddie Bauer edition. Nice. The Eddie Bauer light came with a halogen in the bulb keeper and a krypton in the tailcap.

The black 3C from IG was from the US made early days too.

Last edited:

irongate

Enlightened
IMG_20170622_052719_zpsb7gnepfc.jpg

Some non-budget Brinkmann's.
A 3aa executive and a 3C Eddie Bauer edition. Nice. The Eddie Bauer light came with a halogen in the bulb keeper and a krypton in the tailcap.

The black 3C from IG was from the US made early days too.

Some wonderful looking lights there, Mr Fixer! Enjoy

ven

Flashaholic
WOW mr fixer, very smart looking lights.................kind of puts to shame many new production lights of today.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice lights from a time gone by! It seems like Eddie Bauer went the way of the original Abercrombie and Fitch. I have clothes and outdoor supplies from Eddie Bauer from years ago and my dad has some very old Abercrombie and Fitch outdoor stuff and the quality is not even comparable to today's items. Who can forget the Eddie Bauer Fords too?! Awesome trucks!

Nice silver and gold lights Mr. Fixer!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ya know,
That brochure pic you enclosed will help greatly in attempting to find correct period batteries to put in the gift box of the gold one. No biggy if I don't find them but it would be a nice addition.

The Eddie is a wonderful light. That and the black one toss out photons like much brighter lights. That's what I liked so much about that 2D mentioned in the first post.

And yeah, their cloting was a cut above. Worth the extra coin.
These days, cloths, flashlights and a bunch of stuff between are cheaply made in massive quantities and sold as top shelf items through gimmicks. The something-for-nothing notion is firmly entrenched in society. At least with a lottery ticket you have a 1 in x-million chance to get back your investment.

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe budget then.but classics now.
Thanks for the tip Snakebite.

I just figured since Brinkmann were seen as budget lights back then...

It would suit my fancy where ever it is. 'Cause I love, love, love me some Brinkmann flashlights.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm sure Lift'd has more details about early Brinkmann lights but when I first heard of them they were lights made to be sold at big box stores like WalMart. Dare I say it; to compete with another arguably budget light these days... the Maglite. Much of their sales are of the sub $35 variety these days...

swampgator

Enlightened
Just a heads up...
Sidney's Uniform and Police Supply in Augusta GA had a Bianchi B Lite in the case awhile back.
I suspect it will be pricey if anyone does buy it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I first did this thread there were several sellers at the bay with 2D Legends nip. Last night I saw one. He still listed as "more than 10 available" but that was the only seller I saw. Now I see the C size are popping up though.

The Legends are the US made.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We interupt the VoB youtube channel briefly to bring you this...

p8usEhg.jpg

2D Legend with hi/lo capable.
Don Keller made a few samples for Snap On to evaluate. Snap On said "no thanks" so no more were made.

BAp14KW.jpg

This went into a rechargeable version at one point

M8d3cQt.jpg

Made in Kansas City

Edit:
For those looking to acquire a D size Legend (or AA/AAA version) Amazon has become a good source for these at less than eBay.
mxZnQdd.jpg

An example of what I found there.
An nip 3D for 1/2 the price of eBay sellers.
Note I did not see any in C size but tbh when I saw those SnapOn red 3D's I stopped looking...

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Other than your conventional PR based items I do not know of anything. Ima try a Malkoff module as the bulb fastener is not unlike a Maglite and the reflector is already cam-less. It looks (at a glance) like it'll work.
Trouble is my vampire hours job keeps me 16 on and 8 off. Not a lot of time to play with flashlights right now.

Edit:
Rain out at work.
EOB5KAB.jpg

The anti-bulb-wobbler devices would need to be dremel'd away. Other than those a Malkoff module will work.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sgt, in the 3D there is a plastic sleeve that is a gap filler of sorts to cause the PR bulb to stand up better. The sleeve is easily removed. Fits tight enough where you can hold the fastener down and it not fall out but a toothpick can pluck it out without breaking off the tip.

Actually a better stabilizer than those 3 spirs in my 2D too.
Now for fyi, the malkoff does not go into the barrel as far as a Mag due to the shallower-than Mag bulb holder. So when you disassemble the light it's best to be holding it near vertical to ensure the module doesn't fall out. The ID of the barrel is a bit larger than a Mag and the malkoff fits perfectly in the Mag. So the malkoff does not fasten as snugly inside the barrel of the Legend as it does in a Mag.

But it made the Legend really come alive.

Last edited: