FW3A new tritium tailcap

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the "just because it's cool" category. The FW3A is a handy little torch. I've only had it for a few days, but wanted to personalize it a bit. So with some caliper action, decided that the stock SS tailcap is way too thin to house a 1.5mm vial. Some tweaks to the design allows me to make it thicker, so I can put in two or three vials.

Here's the first attempt. It feels just like the stock button, and activates really closely to the stock configuration. Had to shorten the little post (by .001") on the underside, because it was clicking on too easily, but feels fine now. Since I forgot that I used my last trits on the previous project, I've got a fiber optic stand-in. I superglued this one in place, because it was just a tester piece. New vials should be here in a couple weeks. I'd like to do a three vial triangle shape.
fW7Dlx.jpg

You can see the stock on the left, with the thicker aluminum on the right.
WLPevA.jpg

scHG16.jpg

Once I had the buttons, I needed a fixture to hold them securely for the milling operation. It took me longer to make this than the handful of buttons!
WCjcan.jpg
f4rG6k.jpg

It ended up being a nice holder for me to finalize the thickness dimensions. It's important to me for this to still tail stand, even with the vials in place.
Plus, it makes it easy to do the final polish with 1,000 grit and some white 3M scratchy pads.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to start taking people's money.

I'll take one with 3x slots for trits.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
That looks really nice.
Doing trits and keeping the design clean isn't an easy job.
And i really like the jig. It's Simple but functional i might copy that at some point if you don't mind :)

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
AER, you are more than welcome to use that idea.
It was what came to me suddenly, simple but effective. However don't do what I did, and try to drill the bolt pilot hole without supporting the rebated end. It shifted slightly in the vise, so the bolt is at a bit of an angle...
Still 100% effective, but it bugs me :)

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, and thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind.
And i think i know exactly how you feel about the bolt angle :)

Now start cranking out those caps !!