Have we witnessed the death of the audiophile? ...

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if the audiophile is someone who buys replacement wooden knobs, CD stabilizing rings, ceramic cable risers, expensive power cords, and megabuck cables then good riddance. On the other hand if an audiophile who enjoys listening to music on a quality system, then no, I don't think we've seen the death.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if the audiophile is someone who buys replacement wooden knobs, CD stabilizing rings, ceramic cable risers, expensive power cords, and megabuck cables then good riddance. On the other hand if an audiophile who enjoys listening to music on a quality system, then no, I don't think we've seen the death.

Just when I was going to market an inexpensive device that covers the displays on these high end system with something that will make them nicer looking and improve dynamic range by a considerable amount.
The $9.95 dollar device comes with a money back gar-un-tee. Because of the delicate nature until applied, shipping and handling will be $180.00.
I'm working on a cable wrap for the cables also.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Thanks for that mp3 StarHalo :D

Here is something interesting as well. Field recordings done with head-worn binaural microphones... Very worth listening to carefully. (I edited out the best sections for my own use - some have become the most favorite pieces I've heard in the last few years :eek: ) Check out their other interesting recordings of excellent quality.

I'm always looking for new amazing recordings and samples. All suggestions for excellent quality albums or even downloadable files welcome :thumbsup:

One of my all time favorite Compact Discs (since 1996) has been this one.
(Not because of any special engineering or extraordinary audio)

Early works of Delerium (the side project of Bill Leeb and Rhys Fulber) from between 1989-1994 contain some of the most interesting material I've yet come across. Pure ear candy. The sounds grow on you...
I consider this to to be the "last" good album of that project. Their next one, though much inferior, has several rather nice tracks which make it somewhat worthy I think. I find all their subsequent works to be unbearable and unpalatable main stream junk.

Dynacolt

Enlightened
Well if the audiophile is someone who buys replacement wooden knobs...
I love that wooden knob!!!!! it's a hifi quack legend I'm sure (the Silver Rock Signature Knob at $480.00 - it's a little wooden volume knob).
I have always been sceptical of audiophile tweaks; for example, not being able to tell the difference between one vibration isolating cone and another. However, apart from the most obvious psychic and utterly ridiculous 'tweaks' (anything from here - worth a read), what I discovered is most tweaks appear to make little or no difference... that is, until a number are added simultaneously - then the net effect becomes noticable.
The major downside to having a nice room setup is car and portable audio are often unacceptable - Once spoilt, you cannot go back and, like flashlights, the audio bug is addictive :)
Dave.
(vinyl enjoyment - Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman, MFSL version!)

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, remember this one ?

"110 watts per channel from 20hz to 20khz both channels driven into 8 ohms with less than 0.01% THD".

Whatever happened to honest marketing of amps ?

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just thinking about this becasue when stereo was available but records still advertized thy were in stereo, a friend absolutely refused to move from his monphonic system because it was "the most faithful reproduction of music."

Most of the music I hear outside the home is in stereo only when I get to hear them backstage or in the campground.

Something I really enjoy is watching a good blue grass band using a single microphone as they did it in "the old days"
It takes a lot of practice as the distance from the mic determines who has the lead and watching them move in and out is a kick.

A friend of mine and I have tlked about a "digital amphitheater" that would work the way the natrual ones do and project the sound from behind the performers.
We have decisded that there probably would be no need for monitors but the rest of the details will come about Real Soon Now (a polite term for vaporware from the 80's)

Bluegrass...
Off the top of my head, I'd recommend: Sheffield Labs..Lab 9 Confederation. Larry McNeely, Geoff Levin, Jack Skinner.
Vinyl of course. :thumbsup:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Dianna Krall live from paris
This has some of the best mixing i have heard in a long long time...

Agree!

This remastered Al Dimeola, John Mclaughlin, Paco Delucia "Friday Night in San Francisco" CD is exceptional. I have the vinyl, and comparing between the two with either my Sennheiser HD-600 HP's or Etymotic ER-4S (with Creek OBH-11 HP amp that I got at goodcans.com), are very close.

Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert is great

There's too many to list....in so many areas of music.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out www.stereophile.com for worthwhile music, artist and equipment reviews. Superbly written with a sense of humor and self-effacement.

Mp3's 11:1 compression and highly compressed, poorly engineered, CDs have eliminated the benefits of really good gear for most casual listeners. Those of us who value well recorded CD and vinyl releases know how important good electronics and room acoustics can make a day and night difference.

Not all of us can discern good from bad audio just as some folks cannot judge pitch or are color blind. Poor transistor amplifiers and bad vinyl pressings are lightyears behind what a decent, properly set-up 'table, well recorded, properly stamped, LPs and modern tube gear has to offer.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
If you'd like to check out "the next level" in digital audio, Linn Records has a select number of albums available for download *in the studio master 24bit 88.2/96kHz formats*.

http://www.linnrecords.com/catalogue.aspx?format=studio

Those are some biiiig downloads, but if you've got the hardware, this is the bleeding edge of digital playback.

Big thanks for that link. I had not heard of this site before. Those are some quality recordings....it's obvious even with their sample play clips. I had so many other things to do tonight...lol!

By chance do any of you know of high quality recordings of Django Reinhardt, Stefan Grappelli, Jean-Pierre Rampal, and Claude Bolling?

Last edited:

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to consider myself an audiophie of sorts, but I haven't purchased hardly any audio gear in at least 5-6 years. Coincidentally my oldest child is also 5 years old. When we started to have babies and toddlers around the house, I ended up packing up my stereo system made up of separate components and storing it up in the attic, I just couldn't bear to see anything ruined by my kids just being kids. I have a receiver based stereo system in our living room and a home theater system in another room, as well as my computer audio system which consists of a Denon stereo receiver, NHT SuperZero speakers, a Marantz single CD player, and an old Technics turntable. I'll probably haul the good stuff back out of the attic in a couple more years and get acquainted with my old friends again, but in the meantime I have started listening to some of my vinyl collection again, and have been enjoying listening to some recordings I haven't heard in 5-6 years.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, thank you, StarHalo for sharing that.

Any tube mavens out there? The new stuff is often auto biased to the point that different output tubes could be used together. Yeah, who'd want to do that, but it shows how much more convenient tube gear has become.

For our engineers: just because tubes don't measure as well in some tests doesn't mean we have the ability to measure all the necessary parameters that equate with human hearing. The old sored state crap from the 60's & 70's measured better than the old tube gear, but sounded much worse. Now the best tube and transistor amps sound more similar and better than ever before.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone remember the Plasmatronics speaker ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasmatronics

Saw and heard these back in San Diego. Nice stuff. Be sure and check out the link at the bottom of the Wiki page it's a nice discussion of speaker design including the plasmas:

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/speaker-design1.html

edit: did some googling and came across this oddball info. Note that this is somewhat different than Dr Hill's design.

http://www.plasmatweeter.de/eng_plasma.htm

He also has links to other DIY plasma tweeter websites listed under Builders.

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thread!

I've been thinking somewhat along the same lines, and wondering why we have come to this point where even basic audiophile equipment seems hard to get and maintain. I have some stuff that has been getting older and more pathetic but have not been able to get the energy to try to replace it.

Part of the problem I guess is that the companies keep changing the standards and formats. They like to make old stuff obsolete to sell the new stuff. But this means that it's harder to justify spending a lot of money on something you suspect might become obsolete because of the actions of the companies.

It isn't just the LP vc CD vs DVD vs audio DVD vs all the different digital formats, although this is a big part of it. The cable connections change, you have recording formats (stereo, dolby, dolby stereo, quadro, 5.1, 7.1, surround...) and different components that in the past could all fit into one receiver, but can they do it now? I remember when I first managed to hook up my TV into the main stereo system I thought it was the greatest thing. But what about the new HD TV's with the new (and copy-write and right restricted--lord only knows what mischief this capability will be put to over time) HDCP links?

And on the other hand, you come to a point where you get tired of managing all the different media and media formats. You think--better to just put everything into the computer and manage it that way. But the computer is not an audiophile equipment, even if you use a good soundcard and reasonably good computer systems.

In the end, you more or less give up, put a few favorites into the computer, and get the best quality through headphones rather than speakers. Then you also have access to all this while mobile (which since the equipment is small and the headphones subpar, only serves to degrade your hearing and sense of music quality you are willing to accept) or in your car (once you get the right kind of car equipment--slightly older cars don't easily connect, though), which also does the same since your car is usually in a noisy environment and is itself noisy, further degrading sound quality.

Finally, although vinyl lasts (but has storage issues...), tapes tend to degrade, so you find that large chunks of your old collection may have been lost through time, and you'll be darned if you'll go out and spend all that money again to rebuild your collection. Once you make the decision to allow your collection to shrink, you also find your emotional connection with the whole hobby weakens, which in turn contributes to a kind of vicious circle of disengagement, apathy, and non-expenditure of energy or money on audiophilic activities.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The July 2008 popular science, page 86, supports my claim that properly recorded CD's are of a far better quality than vinyl and the cd will remain that way for a long time.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The July 2008 popular science, page 86, supports my claim that properly recorded CD's are of a far better quality than vinyl and the cd will remain that way for a long time.

I haven't done any serious comparisons myself, and it wouldn't bother me whichever was proven superior. I do know CD's are easier to use and that the sound of radio sure improved when they came out.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you trying to blow up this thread?

dim

Enlightened
My Infinity speakers bought "back in the day" have long since rotted and my heavy silver Pioneer receiver was given away in a move.

Since 99% of my music is in digital form and my life is a bit more transient than it had been, my "system" now consists of PC de-jour, a 10 watt Memorex amplifier designed to power rear speakers for a surround sound system, a pair of RS Minimus 7s, and a small subwoofer to "thicken the soup". I also use some signal processing on the PC to improve the lacking sound of some digital music. I always get the comment from friends, younger and older alike, "that sounds good!"

I'm not a big movie fan and as such, not into "home theater" which, I think, due in part to marketing, has gutted the audiophile market. True, technology has changed but some time ago I was a spectator at a demonstration as a sales associate switched between a high-end 5.1 system and comparable quality/cost stereo speakers. Though the associate was pushing the 5.1 system, that system was not in the same league as the stereo speakers. Yeah, I suppose the frequency range was about the same from bass to "shimmer", but NOTHING else was comparable, dynamics, fidelity and the most glaring difference, SPACE. Despite the 5.1 speakers placed judiciously around the well dampened "speaker room", the 5.1 speakers could not fill the space and could not create the depth and warmth of the pair of stereo speakers setting about 30 degrees in front of me at the front of the room. The stereo speakers created more "surround sound" than the marketed surround sound system. Since then, I've felt that 5.1 systems are a cheap gimmick for manufactures/marketers to sell to consumers rather than quality stereo speakers at equitable prices.

As for consumers...

My first job out of school was selling consumer electronics at a mid-end store. At the time "Top Gun" (HORRIBLE Hollywood drivel), a hot video at the time (does this age me?), was used to help demonstrate systems.

Years later, my brother-in-law, bought a new sound system (no, not from me), a Mitsubishi mid/high end consumer grade amp, respectable Jamo bookshelf speakers and a sizable sub-woofer. To demonstrate his system, my BIL puts on neither Tchycofsky, Sabbath, nor Steely Dan like many audiophiles of the day, but puts on, you guessed it, "Top Gun". With the Jamo speakers fully recessed to the back of the deep bookshelf (so he didn't have to see them), he turns up the volume on some "fly by" scene and says. "Doesn't that sound great?" I, then, screaming over the din, replied with, "You're listening to engine noise!!"

Consumers don't want quality, they want quantity.
5.1, 7.1, 9.1 > 2
It's as if consumers listen with their eyes rather than with their ears.

dim

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Infinity speakers bought "back in the day" have long since rotted and my heavy silver Pioneer receiver was given away in a move.
That brought back a memory. I had a pair of Leak speakers for years and when they started to go did some funny things.
Mostly bad sound but one afternoon I had a piano playing *in* the doorway to the kitchen.
All the rest of the music was where it was supposed to be but that piano sound was amazingly well located.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Necro-bump for the Jack White ULTRA LP, which features a "spinning angel" hologram as you play:

CJvoI6T.gif

Other features:

-180 gram vinyl
-Two vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
-One hidden track plays at 78 RPM and one plays at 45 RPM, making this a three-speed record
-Side A plays from the inside out
-Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for "Just One Drink" depending on where needle is dropped; the grooves meet for the body of the song
-Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an unplayed 78 RPM record
-Both sides end with locked grooves
-Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
-Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
-Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
-Different running order from the CD/digital version
-Utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD/digital versions