• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Learning the Peak way :)

purelite

Enlightened
I gotta give a big thumbs down for this company.

Absolutley NO communication from them on an order which is in limbo.

I have held off doing business with them because of their crappy website and now I realize I should have held to my gut instincts and stayed away from them .

Honestly, if they cant spend the money to create a viable customer friendly websit and/or hire someone to respond to customers then thwo in the towel . Theres too many other products/vendors hungry for business who bend over backwards to make a happy customer to waste time with this type of nonsense.:shakehead

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Re: Big Thumbs Down for Peak

That's why they hired RMSK to sell the non-custom versions of their products. If you want to talk to Peak, call them on the phone. It's perfectly safe, trust me; the radiation risks are greatly exaggerated.

paulr

Flashaholic

What kinds of attempts have you made to communicate with them? If it's just been by email, then yeah, your experience is no surprise.

Peak has a long history of not dealing with the internet very well. Their web site is terrible and they don't seem to respond consistently to email. I'd put this up to their being an old-fashioned manufacturing company. "The internet? Is that thing still around?".

What you have to do is call them on the phone. This isn't an ideal situation since to a lot of us telephones are weird old obsolete technology, but like incandescent flashlights, they are still practical in some applications. Peak apparently still relies on old fashioned telephones despite their technically advanced flashlights. Anyway, yeah, we CPF'ers know about this problem and treat it like a good computer program with a known bug that has a usable workaround. It's better if you know about it ahead of time, but in any case, if you take it into account when setting your expectations dealing with them, things will probably work out better for you. Most people who have contacted Peak by phone have found them friendly and easy to work with.

Peak's contact info including phone number is at http://www.peakledsolutions.net/Support/Contact_Us.html

purelite

Enlightened

Thanx for the help guys. But they have no business having a sales website and being on this forum I see that one of their people posts on here quite frequently so they do indeed know what a computer is and how to use it. They knew how to setup their own space here on CPF didnt they?

If they are going to post an email address and have a website to sell their goods then they have the responsibility to maintain it and respond to customers inquiries. I should not have to jump thru hoops to get something I have already paid for.

I actually dont have a phone right now. Do I have to go find a payphone on the street outside of CVS and bring a pocket full of change to call them and get my order shipped? I dont have time to deal with a vendors "quirks" while they so readily take my money with no complications whatsoever. Its absurd to just accept this type of business practice

And I am supposed to know to order from RMSK so as to get the item . If not I lose? Absolutely absurd

Last edited:

rider

Newly Enlightened

Hmm, I just called them last week to inquire about a custom order I placed; I was put on hold for about 60 seconds, and they told me what day the light was built, how long the potting epoxy needed to dry, and what day it would ship out.

It'd be nice if they had better email response, but I guess for a small shop, it might be easier to talk on the phone while doing something else, rather than be bound to a keyboard responding to emails.

Give them a ring...

:twothumbs

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon

If you don't like them then don't buy from them, you said there are all these other companies bending over backwards to sell stuff to you, well hot damn buy their stuff. Peak makes some of the best machined, most efficient lights made and yeah, they're a small company and sorry if they can't be Johnny-on-the-spot with emails but it's probably because they are busy making BA flashlights.

fyrstormer

Banned

That and they're really just a side business of a machine shop with lots of other jobs to do. If you view them in terms of that kind of industrial background, it makes more sense.

RobynS

Newly Enlightened

Purelite - Email replied to (5/17) 1 pm AZ time - reference your email received May 15th (Saturday) 12pm - I don't mean to sound argumentative, but I truly don't think the response time is all that long, given your email sent on a Saturday, replied to on the next business day.

I agree 100% that our website, is well, lacking to say the least - hopefully that will be remedied soon. Our reputation on these forums should make up for some of that! Our quality Made in the USA lights speak for themselves!

Rider / Mossyoak etc.... - Thank you for your support !

As always - Have a great day!!

Robyn

cmd

Newly Enlightened

I'll go ahead and throw in my experiences with Peak.

I have 4 of their lights and each one was flawless and amazingly well machined and finished. However one of them got a crack in the reflector after about a year of EDC keychain use.

So I sent an email and they did respond the next day. They asked me to send it in to look at and I did. No communicaiton for about 2 months, so I assumed that they had determined the crack was from my abuse (and it likely was). Then I received in the mail the original head, repaired, along with a second brand new head.

Their products are great and their customer service (in my experience) is excellent.

Give them a chance to make things right, be polite, and I'm certain you will be very happy.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast

The very best way to communicate with them is to call. I have 2 used peak lights, which have convinced me to buy more, so I called both RMSK and Peak with questions. Both calls were answered by the owner of each company... how rare is that? Each took the time to answer my questions thoroughly, and to just talk lights in general :thumbsup:. As soon as I can decide between SS and Brass (which almost seems to be calling to me), I'm placing an order!

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened

nothing but positive experiences with Peak and RMSK for me...EDC'd various models for 4 years or so.:party:

Curt R

Enlightened

"Why is my order on hold? And was anyone going to contact me with the reason why? or was this gonna sit in limbo forever?"

> Subject: order *************4029 from Yhst-*******1639
> To: ******[email protected]
> From: [email protected]
> Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 13:53:58 -0700

Eiger AAA/10440SS eiger10440ss 1 49.95 BEAM ANGLE = Wide
> BODY STYLE = Key Chain
> COLOR = Cool
> MATERIAL = Stainless Steel
> POWER LEVEL = 8
> Subtotal 49.95
> Shipping 5.00
> Tax 0.00
> Total 54.95

This is part of the E-mail sent on the 15th of May 2010. The item as a wide angle SS Eiger is not a stock
item and must be built. The 'on hold', message is the only one other than canceled that is available on
the Yahoo order system. The system E-mailed a reply that the order had entered the system.

We are not able to stock all of the variations of the Eiger in three different output patterns, eight
different power levels in four different metals; and then automatically upgrade to the latest LED as they
become available. No one would want a Rebel 100 Eiger that the standard in the Eiger is now a
Cree XP-G R5 that has 35% more power.

We have several hundred lights in inventory that no one wants that have Lux III, K2 and Seoul P4 LEDs in them.

Curt

purelite

Enlightened

OK . Maybe I overreacted. You have every right to defend yourself Robyn and I thank you for responding.

I myself work in the service industry and have for 24 years. Believe me I have taken more than my my fair share of crap . I guess I always expect the same level of CS that I have always strived to give my clients. It sounds like Peak does offer great CS just not in the most direct of ways.
Maybe making a clear and direct link to RMSK for sales from the Peak site would be a good thing to do? If these are indeed custom handmade one at a time lights at a small workbench in a dimly lit corner of a factory somewhere maybe it should also be made clear that as such it may take some time to fulfill orders. I , as I am sure most others know that anything custom or handmade takes longer, sometimes much longer than off the shelf mass produced. Knowing this from the start would eliminate much of the frustration and confusion.

I know nothing of Peaks business or what they are trying to accomplish . The way things are may suit them just fine and that is great . All I know is my end of the seller/buyer experience. I think it is great that you have decided to upgrade these lights to have the latest LED . I have always made it a priority to support American business and have no problems spending extra to be able to own quality American made products. That is one of the main reasons I decided to purchase a PEAK MADE IN AMERICA not CHINA light .

Might I suggest offering the lights with Rebel leds at discounted prices . I bet they would move off the shelf very quickly as they would appeal to those not seeking the cutting edge but still wanting a qaulity American made product . Although last time I check the K2 and P4 Seoul were still viable high performance leds still being used by many leaders in the flashlight industry?

Thanx again for responding Robyn and Curt and I hope to enjoy your products as others seem to as is evident by the strong loyalty and positive feelings towards Peak displayed here on this forum. I will definitley post here when I receive the light with my observations which I am sure will be most positive based on what many others here have discovered with their Peak lights

Last edited:

rider

Newly Enlightened

We have several hundred lights in inventory that no one wants that have Lux III, K2 and Seoul P4 LEDs in them.

Curt

I bet they would for the "right price" :laughing: :whistle:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Re: On the Fence :)

RMSK has a Specials and Closeouts tab on his site....I have ordered several items from Bob- he ships UPS - and is in Louisville KY- I am in OH so sometimes I get my order in 1 or 2 days- If I catch him early. Nice guy to deal with. I have always found that patience and treating people the way I would like to be treated helps a lot. Everything I have ordered has always been worth the wait- you are supporting USA made product/company that stands by what they sell- that is becoming a rareity it today's seemingly fragile Global Economy.:thumbsup:

purelite

Enlightened

Absolutley Rage. One of the main reasons I decided to go with PEAK and will again if I like this light.

I can tell after reading the quick responses from both Robyn and Curt that they are passionate about what they do and have chosen to make a strong presence here on CPF. Truthfully I regret being a tad obnoxious here by starting this thread with such a negative tone. I was actually surprised it wasnt shut down by a Mod.

I do appreciate their efforts here , many would have just ignored such a negative outburst such as mine. I got dumped on all weekend into Monday and it overflowed , no excuse just the way it was .

Last edited:

Curt R

Enlightened

The Rebel, Seoul P4, Lux III/K2 and Cree XR LEDs are still used in most name brand flashlights not
because they are still viable but because of the way a company such as S***fire brings a light to market.

The design is by committee with all departments involved. The chosen LED is bought under a contract
for typically three years with option to extend. This is done for cost savings and to insure design cost
payback. When we bought a reel of Seoul P4 U2 bin LEDs we paid $3.28 each more than a contract
price of $2.47 each. The contract buy means that the LED supplied over a three to five year run of
a particular light insures that the light when brought to market on day one it is already obsolete. This is
due to the rapid advancement of LED technology.

An example of this is the 'Big Bird' 7060 police light that started at a 120 Lumen output and is now up
to 190 Lumens. Our NP series police duty flashlight has an output of 300 or 400 Lumens depending on
the Cree XP-G R5 or the Seoul P7 D bin LED choice. And those outputs will automatically increase as the
latest and more powerful LEDs becomes available. With the the FR series the LED modual is replaceable
to upgrade without having to buy a new light.

Curt

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened

Hey Curt,

Are those extra inventory of old P4, K2, etc lights available for a discount price?