Making a microscope flashlight

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots going on in my life, so it's good to get a way if only in my head and in the workshop. A while back I purchased a microscope, and finally got it up and running properly. Here's a look, with cat for scale:

QikyHX.jpg

It does a nice job, for essentially inexpensive optics. In case you are wondering, here's it's magnification
rTtBIA.jpg
RAuTqx.jpg

Strange that it looks perfectly in focus with my eyes, I bet the added distance with my cell phone camera made it slightly off....

You can see there happens to be a S2+ at the back. I was looking for a ring light (expensive!), and ended up noticing that a S2 fits perfectly in a hole meant probably for wires. So this won't be a wonderfully complex build, but here we go anyway. That blue S2+ is not what I'm using, I purchased a simple gray S2 for the actual build.

The o-ring works, until you actually touch the light. I need a collar that holds it in place, so I can change light levels without moving the focal length of the torch.
I'd wanted originally to do aluminum, but had a chunk of delrin. It's so easy to machine with my lathe, like butta' !!

A quick drill n tap for a 8/32 knob that I found, and I think we are in business.
I do have to sand the angle just slightly, so it sits flush with the microscope body, but it works nicely.
lD3XeL.jpg

Next step, making the S2 into a triple. I know Mtn Electronics sells the pill adapter, but I do have a lathe and some copper.
With any luck, I'll use up this copper soon. I purchased 100% copper, and it's so gummy/ grabby....
Still, I won't have to worry about being under-heatsinked.
9lOLKu.jpg

Here's the stack. A simple 4k triple, and a MTN fet driver.
I know I don't actually need the lens because of the optic, but it's not causing any issues.
i2jAw2.jpg

In the next few days, I'll solder up the guts, and that should be it! I'll post as I get this completed.
~D

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Beautiful! The S2+ is like steel wool, 1001 utilities in a simple inexpensive package :grin2:

Though now I wonder how much better an S2 would be (yes, there's a difference between S2 and S2+). Unless the need for light is all provided by the spot and spill angle is of no importance.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finished up the build, which was soldering two points and screwing in the driver to the pill. Not terribly exciting, but the end result is nice.

J-LD, thank you! I agree, I've already built up a few versions, including a UV torch that my father has yet to give back to me :)