Mako 1xAAA: the most important flashlight i've ever owned

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
pjandyho: You bought a light used, didn't use it for nearly a year, then started complaining on a public forum about it, before contacting me, during a time that I have consistently stated that I am not active on these forums and very busy.

pjandyho said:
I got frustrated and threw the Mako on my wooden desk.

There was very likely nothing wrong with your light, except some detritus on one of the contact surfaces. You threw it against something (which I will note for others reading that doing this is a bad idea), which likely dislodged whatever was blocking the contact. Electronics do not fix themselves when thrown, and the ground staking on these lights is done in such a manner that that would be highly unlikely to be a problem.

Regardless, your light seems to be working, and I wish you the best of luck with it.

Gunga: The original light's stated purpose was runtime and longevity. The difference in runtime between 6 and 20mA was pretty substantial, and the reasons behind the current selection were pretty well established in the old thread. That said, if a future batch of Makos were done it would probably be at 6/30mA settings, which is moderately driven and provides more pronounced visual difference between modes.

Enrique

gunga

Flashaholic
I understand Enrique. I just don't find the difference between 6 and 20 to be substantial enough. I would likely have purchased a 6/30 but none were available so I chose 6/60.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
pjandyho: You bought a light used, didn't use it for nearly a year, then started complaining on a public forum about it, before contacting me, during a time that I have consistently stated that I am not active on these forums and very busy.
Excuse me? Which part of my post did I mentioned that I bought the light used? I don't think I mentioned that in my email to you. I bought the light directly from you. Get that right before you throw your accusations around please. A business is a business. You stand by your products. By the way, I sent you an email before posting here.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Excuse me? Which part of my post did I mentioned that I bought the light used? I don't think I mentioned that in my email to you. I bought the light directly from you. Get that right before you throw your accusations around please. A business is a business. You stand by your products. By the way, I sent you an email before posting here.

In post 460 you mentioned it was not new. .

Bill

Last edited:

shudaizi

Newly Enlightened
"This light is not new." Has (at least) two possible meanings:

a) This light was purchased used.

b) This light was not purchased recently.

A year after buying most consumer items, I would no longer consider or call them "new", even if I didn't buy them used.

Oh the joys of linguistic ambiguity! :)

Bill

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bill

"This light is not new." Has (at least) two possible meanings:

a) This light was purchased used.

b) This light was not purchased recently.

A year after buying most consumer items, I would no longer consider or call them "new", even if I didn't buy them used.

Oh the joys of linguistic ambiguity! :)
The reason why I said not new is because I don't want people here who have just ordered the 6/60 version to start panicking that the newer version would have problems.

Since the light was purchased last year, is it not apt to call it "not new"? Did I use the word "used" as Enrique has put across?

That is what irks me. I have been pretty fair when dealing with people. If I bought it used from someone, I won't expect Enrique to do anything and I would in fact offer to pay for him to do something. The way Enrique puts it across painted me as some punk with no integrity, and that OFFENDS me.

Enrique, telling customers you are busy is a lame excuse. With mobile technology and high speed internet, surely you can't be that busy everyday to spare a few minutes to answer some emails? If that truly is the case, you've got poor time management issues, and that is not the customer's fault.

Last edited:

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I have one of the new ones in a 6/30 configuration. The difference is definitely noticeable and particularly at night. The light works great and has been used constantly since I received it. But I'm curious, does anyone know the output in lumens for the two levels?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
It would be better if some of the above customer-service-related correspondence was handled outside of this discussion thread.
(Please keep in mind that this subforum isn't Custom-B/S/T or the Marketplace.)
Thanks,

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be better if some of the above customer-service-related correspondence was handled outside of this discussion thread.
(Please keep in mind that this subforum isn't Custom-B/S/T or the Marketplace.)
Thanks,
Yes. I apologize for taking this thread off topic.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there should be another Bead Blasted 6/60 available at UniqueTitanium. I returned mine, just couldn't make use of the floody beam. Build quality, beam tint and shape were amazing, but it didn't throw far enough for my purposes. I'm stuck with the ARC AAA until Enrique decides to make a more throw-oriented version of the Mako. ;)

I wanted to add that Dena at UniqueTitanium was amazing! Great service, and very professional in her dealings with me.

:thumbsup:

Probably a buncha people with non flood Makos who would have traded with you
I had a flood and a non flood when they first came out years ago
Kept the flood, but I used it solely as a poke around in dark room light

dss_777

Enlightened
Probably a buncha people with non flood Makos who would have traded with you
I had a flood and a non flood when they first came out years ago
Kept the flood, but I used it solely as a poke around in dark room light

Hmmm, didn't know that. Are there non-flood Makos floating around the market out there?

TBH, I wasn't 100% thrilled about how loose the head had to be to turn it off. Since I'd be carrying the thing on my keys in my pocket 24/7, I worried about the head coming off, or turning on inadvertently. While this was something I could have learned to adjust to, the floody beam was a definite deal-breaker. I find that I often want to see things further away than the light could, and just couldn't justify it.

It made more sense to return it, in the end. Dena at Unique Titanium was quite good about that.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I like this light, it just isn't for me. I need a bit more throw and some more lumens. If it were going to be a keychain light it would be perfect - but I don't have that need. I'll be posting mine in the Marketplace later tonight at a good bargain.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to throw a pile of old electronics yesterday when i saw my old compact camera in the pile of stuff. Took a hammer and gently removed the lenses. 2 of them fits like a glove in the mako head. :)
I got mine tuned for a lot more throw now. Still got a perfect beam with no funkyness, but with way more throw. Beamsize or "hotspot" is about the same as the dqg, moddo triple etc (most of those small tir optics). I liked it so mutch, i glued the asperic in there. looks good too :)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess i can take some pictures. But have to find a decent free host site. I noticed old trusty imageshack have started charging...