Materials/Mechanical/Machining Specific Deals

wquiles

Flashaholic
I just bought several of these, and I feel for $20 (and free shipping if you order two of them!) they are bargain and very useful in the shop. The arm is not nearly as solid as a Noga hydraulic arm, but for a safety shield is more than adequate:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=TG510-1386

To get the special price you have to use part #: TG510-1386

Description:
Polycarbonate Shield with Base Type: Base & Shield Applications: General Purpose Shield Length: 8 Shield Width: 6 Shield Material: Lexan Shield Style: Concave Trade Name: Prosafe™ Base Diameter: 3.1600 In.
Type: Base & Shield
Applications: General Purpose
Shield Length (Inch): 8
Shield Width (Inch): 6
Shield Material: Lexan
Shield Style: Concave
Trade Name: Prosafe™
Base Type: Magnetic
Base Diameter (Decimal Inch): 3.1600
Arm Reach (Inch): 14
Shield Thickness (Inch): 1/8
Includes: Magnetic Base; Arm & Shield
SPI Part Number: 63-407-1

Photos in actual use:
DSCF3736.JPG

DSCF3737.JPG

Free shipping code:
FSCSEP - Free UPS Shipping on your $25 Enco Order! Expires 10/31/10

Will

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Looks pretty useful, will have to pick some up. I know I could of used one today as I was hitting a bunch of people with hot chips off the fly cutter. I burnt my face too.

What is the red lever for? Does it lock the entire flex arm in place or just at the base. Thanks for sharing the deal Will.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I could of used one today as I was hitting a bunch of people with hot chips off the fly cutter. I burnt my face too.
Most production shops have a few pieces of corrugated board, cut from a shipping carton, that work very well. The really fancy ones have a cutout so they'll fit over a 6" Kurt vise, and a welding magnet or two hold the cutout in position.

chipshield1.jpg

chipshield2.jpg

If you work on shield positioning, you can direct some chips at the people you don't like, while avoiding your boss (or the instructor) :D

I use a piece of 1/2" thick plywood held on edge in a 2x4 base. I'll snap a photo later. It keeps most of the chips in one area so clean up is faster.

Shields can be attached directly to lathe tooling, like the photo below, or held between the tool & the quick change block. You'll want one of these if you ever have to turn or bore brass for bushings - it sprays off the tool like (very hot) water.

chipshield3.jpg

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
If you work on shield positioning, you can direct some chips at the people you don't like, while avoiding your boss (or the instructor) :D

LOL, good idea! :thumbsup: I do have one person in mind. :laughing:

Defintely avoid the instructor but he's cool anyway. Don't want to **** him off as he's finally retiring next year so I'll be trying to get the most out of him as I can.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Looks pretty useful, will have to pick some up. I know I could of used one today as I was hitting a bunch of people with hot chips off the fly cutter. I burnt my face too.

What is the red lever for? Does it lock the entire flex arm in place or just at the base. Thanks for sharing the deal Will.

The way it works is that you unscrew the top screw, which takes the slack out of the internal steel cable that ties the pieces/links in the arm. Once you take out the slack, and position the arm close to where you want it to stay, then turning the red lever actuates a simple cam that gets that steel cable really tight, which sorta-locks the pieces in place. As I mentioned, it is not as "solid" as my Noga articulated, hydraulic arm, but it is plenty strong and stable just to hold the small plexiglass protective piece, and still allow adjustability to put it where you want it. They also have two larger sizes, and I did order one of those, but the plexiglass is WAY too heavy for the arm, which is why I am only recommending the small one I listed above.

For $20 each and free shipping (when you buy $25 or more - so just buying two qualifies for the free shipping) is an awesome bargain on something very useful and practical, so I have several of them in various places in my "shop" :devil:

Will

precisionworks

Flashaholic
We had a 2" indexable face mill, 4 inserts as I remember, and ran it 1200-1500 rpm in the Bridgeport. Usually set the DOC between .050" and .100", and feed it as fast as the handle could be turned.

Chips were dark blue, which is just one step under glowing red hot. With careful setup, chips would fly almost 20' and hit the operator on the radial drill - he'd act like he just got stung by hornets :nana: The Bridgeport operator, of course, used the cardboard shield & avoided most of the chips.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Most production shops have a few pieces of corrugated board, cut from a shipping carton, that work very well. The really fancy ones have a cutout so they'll fit over a 6" Kurt vise, and a welding magnet or two hold the cutout in position.

(snip pics)

I use a piece of 1/2" thick plywood held on edge in a 2x4 base. I'll snap a photo later. It keeps most of the chips in one area so clean up is faster.

Shields can be attached directly to lathe tooling, like the photo below, or held between the tool & the quick change block. You'll want one of these if you ever have to turn or bore brass for bushings - it sprays off the tool like (very hot) water.

(snip pics)

Well, maybe not "fancy", but my home-made shield for the mill is hard to beat, for the price of the face shield ($5) and cheap magnetic holder ($20 or so from Shars) :D

DSCF1902.JPG

DSCF1903.JPG

DSCF1906.JPG

Here it is sitting on top of my Kurt vise:
DSCF1913.JPG

Will

Pidg

Newly Enlightened
...here's a killer deal on the Flexbar attached to a Vice-Grip.

Thanks Barry - I just ordered one. :grin2:

I'm still looking for a motor to build and RPC. There's a 7.5 hp, 3450 rpm, $145 motor about 45 miles from me. I'd like a 1800 or 1200 rpm version for low noise, but haven't come across one for a reasonable cost, and this one includes obo, so I'll bet I can get it cheaper. I might jump on this one, cause I want to get the lathe and mill going.

Also, my Frigidare front loader is like your LG - no transmission, just a variable speed motor.

Bill Pidgeon

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Bill,

Check with salvage yards, quite a few buy 3ph motors & most guarantee them to be not DOA. About $5 per hp is the going rate around here, so my 10hp cost $50 ... a 7.5hp might bring $40. These are used, surplus motors that often look rough, sometimes need bearings, and always need cleaning & painting :twothumbs

You may want to phone Select Metals Recycling (734) 662-0317 or Michigan Scrap Metal (734) 418-0940. If they have no 3ph motors, they may know a scrapper who does.

Pidg

Newly Enlightened
Barry, you are amazing! Thanks for the leads and the guidance on prices. I'll call tomorrow.

A Rockwell/Delta 17" drill press from 1954 or 55 followed me home yesterday, with the original Delta 3ph 1 hp motor...

Bill

Pidg

Newly Enlightened
All,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this. I'm sure many of you will be interested in this source of used stuff:

http://propertydisposition.umich.edu/

I was there Monday looking for a 3ph motor and found a Bridgeport with a shaper attachment. The serial# is J8211Y and it has a 1 hp motor on the mill head. I don't know much about Bridgeports, so not much else I can tell you about it.

There was also a Southbend lathe on the original-looking stand with drawers, probably a 24" to 36" inch bed.

Both are probably from a prototype shop at the University, and they looked in too good a condition to have been used by students.

The way it works is that you have to place a bid, but you can't until they open them up to bids. I asked the clerk when that would be, and she said sometime between next week and a month from now. So, if you are interested, you'll have to monitor the web site. You can also sign up for email announcements.

Most of the winning bids are public, and you can see the winning bids on past auctions here:

http://propertydisposition.umich.edu/html/pdnews.html

I don't know how long the winning bids stay posted, but there were machinery bids on 5/10 and 8/10 that are at the link. You may lose the opportunity to see the 5/10 winning bids if you procrastinate.

Good luck with your bids, but keep in mind that they are as-is.:twothumbs

Bill

alexmin

Newly Enlightened
I've just bought this tool chest and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this $160 tool chest . My only complaint is that bottom of the drawers could have been thicker but I can easily fix it.

Initially I was aiming for a Gerstner chest but at $600 it was too rich for my blood.

CTI-DC-536_1.jpg

moz-screenshot.png
CTI-DC-536_%21.jpg

Pidg

Newly Enlightened

Barry,
Just so happens I was in Grand Rapids on Saturday, which is 2.5 hrs away. But I was on a tight schedule, so I couldn't have stopped by. Also, I haven't called the local salvage yards you found for me - it was a busy week, to understate it. But I got that Delta drill press through Craigslist for $95:D, so I ain't complaining. But it also has a 3ph motor, so the RPC is getting higher on the priority list.

This week looks like it will be considerably more reasonable and I'll start making calls.

I owe you - I really appreciate these leads!:wave:

Bill