Older Craftsman ( and Atlas) lathe info.

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
I have hung around the Spotlights (I own several military VSS-3'S and a VSS-1) and the Automotive forums here on Cpf, and apparently overlooked this forum. Just a short background, I spent about 20 years as a certified machinist. (I should mention NOT one of the new-fangled turn-it-on-and-let-a-computer-do-everything-for-you kind of machinist. ) I inherited my father's machine shop when he died. I also fed my family by working on guns back in the late 70's in Central Illinois, but I digress.......)
Anyway, I have an OLD Craftsman 10"x36" (I think) lathe that I use for home projects. I was about 1 finishing cut away from some marker-light mounts for an ultralight, and the belt started to thump. About 10 seconds later it broke. (Piece of junk belt, made in the late 40's I think. They don't make anything to last anymore!)
I opened up the lid and considered poking myself in the eye with a hot poker rather than switching that belt out.
Bottom line, after $7 for a new belt from the local auto parts store, and about 6 hours, it is now good for another 60 years. (I will bet this belt will not last as long as the last one!)
If anyone needs to climb the same mountain, let me know, I can walk you through it.

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
Nope. It sure runs smooth now. Over the years I have realized there are now two types of machinists. The old fashioned ones that can read a mic, cut threads, figure the feed/speed in their head, and sharpen a lathe bit by hand. They can tell when everything is set about right by looking at the chips.

Then there are the new-fangled ones, They enter a bunch of numbers into a computer, turn it on and stand back.
No real disrespect to the newer guys, just pointing out the difference.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
There are several steps in between those two extremes.

I use manual machines, but that does not preclude using books or charts to verify the proper settings. It does not preclude using a DRO or VFD either. And while I can sharpen a lathe bit by hand, I much prefer inserts in most cases.

I, on the other hand, find that machinists fall in to two basic categories; Those that believe that it's an art, and those who know it's a science. I've learned enough about the mechanisms that form chips to fall into the second class. :)

Dan

TexasLumens

Newly Enlightened
"Over the years I have realized there are now two types of machinists. The old fashioned ones that can read a mic, cut threads, figure the feed/speed in their head, and sharpen a lathe bit by hand. They can tell when everything is set about right by looking at the chips.

Then there are the new-fangled ones, They enter a bunch of numbers into a computer, turn it on and stand back.
No real disrespect to the newer guys, just pointing out the difference."

And then there are those of us that do both!! :grin2:

Last edited: