Optotronics RPL 300mW

waspfarmer

Newly Enlightened
It should be in the mail. Yes, very exciting, yes... What do you do with yours?

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: Optronics RPL 300mW

:eek:oo: wow
I have a PPL-125 reading 131mW, and I love it.
http://www.jtice.com/blogs/ppl-125_laser_8-19-06

I know its built well, but I am still almost afraid to touch it knowing what I paid for it. lol

I really like the adjustable outputs they have.
Though, I do wish you could just set it to a level and leave it, instead of having to fully turn if off with the key.
But then, its meant to be safe, not convenient.

~John

ted_park

Newly Enlightened

waspfarmer said:
It should be in the mail. Yes, very exciting, yes... What do you do with yours?

I use mine as an expensive and dangerous toy :D I'm sure you'll find it's great for popping balloons, burning holes in black plastic bags, seeing how low the cloud cover is, cool effects when it's foggy out, seeing if you can get a reflection off distant objects, illuminating objects that fluoresce (try it on whiskey, and even coffee demonstrates fluorescence.

Aseras

Enlightened

try hitting hard plastics or a glue stick from a hot glue gun.

waspfarmer

Newly Enlightened

It arrived yesterday. That's one week to the hour to the West coast of Canada. This thing is BRIGHT. If I light up the cieling in a dark room, the whole room lights up and all surfaces hum with snow, like a TV without a signal. Outside at night, I terminated it at about 80' up on the foliage of a Douglas fir and it lit up the yard well enough to read large print (rural, no moon).
Thanks for the input jtice! That applies directly to the RPL300 also. This one eats electricity. I find that after only about two minutes on time, the lowest setting becomes a "pulse" only. It seems unable to drive the circuit and cuts out after a very brief pulse of light. Other settings continue to function as continuous on, though it seems the the most intense beam emerges from a freshly charged batterie. I'm glad I got the rechargable one!
Ted, try a gin and tonic!

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic

:D
I have not ran mine for any long length of time,
so I have not noticed any dimming yet.
I use a couple Nimh C cells in mine.

My 131mW is bright, I can only imagine your 300mW :eek:oo:
Take care of your eyes !

~John

waspfarmer

Newly Enlightened

Actually, at second setting acw, it runs for many minutes 15+?? quite stably after a gentle warm up/ batterie break-in. I'm still glad I don't have feed it C cells though!

Last edited:

ted_park

Newly Enlightened

This is quite a good laser - I have one, and it has a good tight beam. I did some tests on the beam, and there is some mode shifting during operation, but the power remains high. You would never notice this unless you pushed the beam through a lens and diverged it. It's a good thing this item uses rechargeable batteries as it draws rather a lot of current (well, what did you expect?).

The RPL 260 that I have also exhibits this behavior, so I think it's just a characteristic of the cavity optics of this particular laser design. Incidentally, the envee and the 125mw dragonlasers laser show no visible mode changes in the beam.

I don't see that as a serious shortcoming, as applications which require a hand held laser typically don't require ultimate beam quality. Some applications require the beam to be fully stabilized, and that can take 15 minutes to half an hour for some lasers. Low powered diode laser systems can do this from D batteries, but most other lasers have higher power consumption, so batteries aren't practical.

waspfarmer

Newly Enlightened

COMMANDR said:
Pictures pretty please :)

Gary
I can't afford a camera!

After further testing, I think I was optomistic in the "15 min" comment. It seems subjectively that it'll run for 5 - 9 minutes at various settings (mostly high ones) of ON time. The power runs out abruptly and without warning.
At high settings (ACW 1-3), I can't hold my finger pads still in the beam for more than a second or two at less than 1'. I wouldn't even try it on a full charge as I havn't recieved my gogs yet (too bright and it hurts).
The charger unit has a red (charging) to green (charged) LED on the piece that houses the battery. It can hold two batteries of this type. The end that plugs into the wall has a red LED to let you know the power to your house isn't out yet! (Bad weather here).

luvlasers

Enlightened
allthatwhichis said:
:ironic: You got a 300mW handheld laser module and you can't afford a camera... :huh2: :awman: :lolsign:

Haha its all a matter of priorities. Buying the most important thing first.

Love the case it comes in. My dragonlaser is great but the case it came in is nothing too look at. Your case looks great, portable with very nice protective padding inside.

I guess that is priorities again. An affordable low price gives you the laser (essential item) but not a impressive case (nice but not essential).:goodjob:

mikebrooke

Newly Enlightened
If anybody is interested, I still have my UNUSED Optptronics 300 for sale in UK.
I feel that its just too dangerous to use (at least my WIFE does!) So its got to go £500 GBP PM me if interested (pics etc)

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Hi Mike,

You mean you've had it over 3 months and the wife hasn't even let you try it?
You might might as well use it some while she's not around...
Technically, a product is "used" as soon as the original buyer takes delivery, after that point, just like with a car, it's used merchandise even if it has never been turned on...or in the case of a car, even driven. If I get an inquiry from the UK, I'll give them your email.

Take care and happy holidays
Jack

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast

waspfarmer said:
Actually, at second setting acw, it runs for many minutes 15+?? quite stably after a gentle warm up/ batterie break-in. I'm still glad I don't have feed it C cells though!

I wonder if feeding them the 6000mah C cell recharable NIMH's would be tedius?