QTC

I found this on the Fraz site, so it's definitely available. Good luck.
"Originally developed as QTC (quantum tunneling composite), it reacts with pressure to achieve the variable brightness in our piston-based flashlight engine. This material is now called 'smart material' or 'smart rubber' and can be obtained from several different sources. It can easily be replaced in our lights, and each purchase comes with extra pieces."

Flynn's Arcade

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried Zoflex brand sheeting. At work, I have limited and infrequent use of their pressure mats for intrusion detection systems. I don't know if their pressure sensitive sheets are a viable substitute or not.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried Zoflex brand sheeting. At work, I have limited and infrequent use of their pressure mats for intrusion detection systems. I don't know if their pressure sensitive sheets are a viable substitute or not.
Interesting. Gonna check that stuff out.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
To be honest, I had to look up what QTC stood for at first, and Peak flashlights are the only place that I know of that use it. It's a curious material. Experimenting is good.
It was first invented to be used on the spacesuits on the gloves for the astronauts

"The following are possible uses of QTCs:

• Sporting materials such as training dummies or fencing jackets can be covered in QTC material. Sensors on the material can relay information on the force of an impact.
  • Mirror and window operation such as gesture, stroke, or swipe can be used in automotive applications. Depending on the amount of pressure applied from the gesture, the car parts will adjust to the desired setting at either a fast speed or a slow speed. The more pressure is applied, the faster the operation will be.[11]
  • Blood pressure cuffs: QTCs in blood pressure cuffs reduce inaccurate readings from improper cuff attachment. The sensors tell how much tension is needed to read a person's blood pressure."

Ocelot808

Enlightened
The original developer of the QTC material (1996) is the UK based company Peratech which designs custom force sensing and haptic feedback OEM applications for a wide variety of technology clients for touch sensitive keyboards, mice, VR gloves, etc. The Peratech QTC squares were readily available from numerous sources a decade ago for a few bucks a piece but now it seems the supply has dried out. Peratech still uses the material in its products but makes no mention of selling the raw QTC parts. Some inquiries need to be made.

FrazLabs, whose design centers on QTC squares has a finite supply on hand but no current resupplier so they limit what they can give out based on necessity. I recently obtained my first FrazLabs QT-L Nugget so I'm on a mission to find a source equivalent to what FrazLabs currently uses in their lights.

I read on the Peak subforum that some folks were having flickering and erratic behavior using liion cells but normal operation with NiMH. Apparently Peak was trying out alternative QTC materials since new Peratech-made squares are somewhat unobtanium.

Peratech has a great website about its applications: www.peratech.com

Also, here is a comprehensive history of the development of QTC materials in flashlight design dated 2016. It offers great detail and is very informative.

It's great to see others interested in this unique method of brightness control in flashlights.

I'm on a mission to find the equivalent of the original Peratech squares.

Latest posts