SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all those particular cells fully charged, what are the IR (internal resistance) measurement values reported for each of those 4 specific cells when installed in those same slots? (Also, since there is an issue with internal resistance measurements when using particular firmware versions of the MC3000: what is the FW version currently loaded in your unit?)

cpfiul

Newly Enlightened
What's the approximate age of the specific battery?

In my own experience, a batch of AW 18650 cells from the ~2010 timeframe ended up getting quite "tired" by ~2020/2021, due to usage. Generally speaking, the ones that had lost the greatest amount of charge ability corresponded to those that got hottest during charging. Swapped them out for newer cells, and those cells are all far cooler during recharging.

Could try moving that battery to one of the outer bays, then attempting another charging of it.

If you're willing, the MC3000 also allows the default temp setting (for batteries) to get set higher. (But, IMO, batteries that are hot to the touch are showing bad signs.)

Ok . That was my first thinking too .
But:
- the battery is not old 2019
- the IR is about 70 mohms
- I move this battery in slot no 4 the heat stay on slot 3 !??
What is strange when charge with a same 0.8 Amp there is no heat on slot 3

SYZYGY

Enlightened
Hello please somebody know why I get this message regarding moderator approval ?

probably because you don't have a lot of posts yet? also, why are you posting that in this thread instead of in the site's support section where a mod can see it? or just PMing a mod?

cpfiul

Newly Enlightened
probably because you don't have a lot of posts yet? also, why are you posting that in this thread instead of in the site's support section where a mod can see it? or just PMing a mod?
Ok.
You are right !
Hope that didn't break the forum rules to much
Thanks for advice!

SYZYGY

Enlightened
it's not against the rules. maybe i was rude. sorry
i just meant that it's not productive to post it here

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's a reputable place in the USA to buy an MC3000 from these days?
I've only done biz w/ this place twice; both times fairly recently (08/23 and 12/23), and both times to buy an MC3000. They did well. They were shipped 'next biz day', arrived quickly and in good shape, and I had no issues. They did well as far as I'm concerned, so I can recommend them.

Another source I'm aware of is Progressive RC, but I've never ordered from them, and they often show 'out of stock' on this item, but may be another place to consider. Others can perhaps speak to their experience with that distributor.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only done biz w/ this place twice; both times fairly recently (08/23 and 12/23), and both times to buy an MC3000. They did well. They were shipped 'next biz day', arrived quickly and in good shape, and I had no issues. They did well as far as I'm concerned, so I can recommend them.

Another source I'm aware of is Progressive RC, but I've never ordered from them, and they often show 'out of stock' on this item, but may be another place to consider. Others can perhaps speak to their experience with that distributor.

P.S.
I forgot to mention something I consider important. If you buy one, wherever you get it from, I highly recommend using firmware Ver 1.15. That is apparently not the latest released version, but FYI that's what both of mine came loaded with (so no need to change mine).

Users have encountered serious issues w/ 'internal resistance' measurements using later version(s), and I've heard nothing regarding resolution of that problem to date.

Here's one quote:

Just something I noticed after updating my MC3000 from v1.15 to v1.18:

the DC IR resistance reading becomes too low.

for instance, I had a high-drain 18650 battery that registers around 28-31mOhms back in firmware v1.15
but after updating the v1.18 firmware, the DC IR reading is just 6-7mOhms.

another button-top 14500 battery (button-top will usually have much added resistance),
in firmware v1.15, it was reading around 100-110mOhms
but in firmware v1.18, it was just reading around 20mOhms

since I had previously been jotting down the DC IR values of many of my batteries (using the v1.15 values), I decided to just flash back to the v1.15 firmware, which appeared to restore to the old DC IR values
******************************************************************************************

mAh Man

Newly Enlightened
I too have joined the ranks as a proud MC3000 owner.

I was previously known as Turak or Marduke on the forum quite some time ago. SilverFox may remember me.

Anyway I received the newer model with the two fan case. It reported HW v2.2 and FW v2.18.

I read all the stuff in the previous posts regarding the internal resistance being off on the v2.17 and v2.18 firmware versions and I can confirm that it was indeed the case with my new unit using the v2.18 firmware.

An interesting thing I noted while testing a cell was that using the buttons on the unit itself it was indicating an internal resist of 6 mOhms. But looking at it from the phone app it was reporting 30 mOhms. Notice that it doesn't even give the same reading (app vs unit). Didn't really matter anyway, both were VERY wrong readings.

Using a high-end meter capable of measuring the internal battery resistance, it was actually between 98-102 mOhms (older cell).

I then went ahead and downgraded the firmware to v2.15.

Upon re-running my tests with the same cell, it read 106 mOhms BOTH on the unit itself and from the phone app. MUCH more accurate now.

So YES, I also agree that the v2.15 firmware is the BEST (most accurate) one at the moment and would HIGHLY recommend downgrading to it if you currently have the v2.17 or 2.18 firmware.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have joined the ranks as a proud MC3000 owner.
That was a wise move.
I then went ahead and downgraded the firmware to v2.15.
That was another wise move.

I've used only the native interface, and neither of the 2 external interface applications. I've read indications in the past that the BT app(s) might be a bit 'buggy'. I don't know if that's still the case or not. I have nothing that runs IOS or Android anyway, but I'll likely try the computer app at some point just for the heck of it, but right now my needs are being met using the native interface. Adding another layer of SW into the equation adds some risk, as always, and right now the 'risk : reward' thing isn't appealing while I'm still becoming familiar with the basic interface / functionality. If I have issues, I don't want to make life more difficult for myself by potentially having to troubleshoot where the cause of my issue might reside while I'm still learning the unit myself.

FYI: I just became aware today of a user reporting that both the links to FW Ver 1.15 and 1.18 have disappeared from the section of the 'product page' where I know they were still listed at some point in the last 2 weeks when I checked to see what was there. I have no idea why those links would have been removed, but they're gone as I type. Right now, I see no system FW Ver available for download. I find that more than a bit strange. Oddly, on that last prior visit, I downloaded and stored the FW Ver 1.15 file just in case I might ever need it in the future. I've never played the lottery, but perhaps I should go buy a ticket! I don't know what this means for those whose unit shipped w/ Ver 1.18 or what (if any) option(s) they have, so be glad you down-rev'd yours when you did.

Moving forward, do let us know how it's going, and thanks for posting this info!