Streamlight Protac HL-X Vs. Protac HPL USB

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just started looking at Streamlight LED flashlights that use a single 18650 battery and are 1,000 lumens. My search quickly brought me to both the Streamlight ProTac HL-X and the Streamlight ProTac HPL USB. At first glance, I thought they were the same, but closer examination shows that they are similar, but different.

Both are 1,000 lumens on high, but the ProTac HPL USB is a bit longer. Is one of the biggest differences that the ProTac HPL USB will charge the battery while it is in the light?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just started looking at Streamlight LED flashlights that use a single 18650 battery and are 1,000 lumens. My search quickly brought me to both the Streamlight ProTac HL-X and the Streamlight ProTac HPL USB. At first glance, I thought they were the same, but closer examination shows that they are similar, but different.

Both are 1,000 lumens on high, but the ProTac HPL USB is a bit longer. Is one of the biggest differences that the ProTac HPL USB will charge the battery while it is in the light?

I don't own either, but would absolutely buy either in a heartbeat. You're looking at the right stuff IMO. In fact, if I were looking for a new work/duty carry light, it would almost certainly be one of those two. I know - that doesn't help:)

The differences are few really, but are nonetheless significant. My answer is that from what I see so far, the most significant difference is dimensions and candelas - which of course are related. That additional (approx) 1 1/2" of length, and (approx) 1/4" larger head diameter (which are not insignificant) of the HPL translates to (approx) 8000 more candelas (also not insignificant), and a different beam distribution pattern I presume (which is generically illustrated on their web site under the home page menu button at top-right, 'Resources > Interactive Demos and Training > Interactive Beam Demo'.

The other primary difference is, as you noted, the power supply stuff. Having years of experience of 12-hour shifts with Strions, I appreciate the no-fuss daily convenience of 'on-board' charging of the HPL, even though that might not be the decision-maker for me. Note that the HPL apparently only does that with the 'bespoke' 18650 Streamlight cell (the same as my Strions use), but I would have no issue with that because they have served me beautifully for many years - they're good quality cells. Either light can use (but not charge) the 'industry standard' format 18650 cells that SL sells (or others), so those would probably be my backup cells for either of these lights.

They're otherwise similar and quite acceptable to me, both checking other important boxes like FL1 2-meter impact ratings, etc. I suggest you buy both, try them out, and then send the one you like less to me for my birthday in a few months. I'd be quite happy to have either!

Last edited:

Decableguy2000

Newly Enlightened
I have the HL-x and 2L-x. I carried the 2L-x almost every day for 2 years. The HL usually sits at the door and used while walking the dog. The HL is a great light but the form factor for me doesn't pocket carry well for me. The bezel is large compared to the other 18650 lights. Both lights have the TEN-Tap programing. Mine are both on high. I do use USB rechargeable 18650's in them. As with most Streamlights they are durable.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the HL-x and 2L-x. I carried the 2L-x almost every day for 2 years. The HL usually sits at the door and used while walking the dog. The HL is a great light but the form factor for me doesn't pocket carry well for me. The bezel is large compared to the other 18650 lights. Both lights have the TEN-Tap programing. Mine are both on high. I do use USB rechargeable 18650's in them. As with most Streamlights the are durable.

I use a 2L-x myself, and like it. I too appreciated the smaller dimensions for easy carry / pocketability in my intended application for it. Had I been going for a work / duty light for belt carry, I'd have opted for one of the other two for the extra performance. It's nice SL provides us with several good options instead of a 'one size fits all' approach. And yeah, the TEN-Tap options are good icing on the cake.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
I had the 2L-X and have HL-X. I gave the 2L-X to a friend for checking a small backyard for critters and poop when he takes his dog out. He loves it. I prefer competitors for a small EDC light, but before I gave it to my friend I kept it as one of my emergency lights.

I won't give up the HL-X. I prefer floody lights for fair nights or indoors. However, for searching things out, in the rain or fog, or identifying things 75 yards away, the HL-X is a great "put it to work" light that I don't worry much about getting dinged, rained on, muddy, etc. That being said, I need to unscrew the bezel a quarter turn for what I assume is the proper focus... I should put an O ring or something in it so I don't accidentally knudge it.

The HL-X is a p90 sized light. Not really meant for the pocket. It tail stands, is bright enough on medium for longer use at moderate range, and doesn't get as hot as the 1800-5000 lumen lights I have when on the highest setting for a few minutes at a time. It also takes 2xCR123's without an adapter. It's not the best light or brightest light, it doesn't have a clean spill, you have to take the battery out to charge it, but it feels right in the hand, has a very simple UI, and for some reason, I always grab it if I want to see things at moderate distance outside.

I would have grabbed the HPL USB to compare if they had it at my local Cabela's. Unfortunately they only have the HL USB. However, between the HLX-5 and HL-X, I'm not sure that I need an in between size that still takes an 18650. For that size, I will probably stick with the 21700 competitors. I should also mention that although I like the HLX-5 for outdoors, I prefer the older HL-4 for an all around light.

I refuse to purchase the Protac 2.0, as the 21700 has a wedge on it to make it proprietary, and the flashlight opens up a hole in the side of the frame to access the USB port on the battery for charging... kind of wonky, IMO. It's my understanding that it doesn't have the reach of the HL-X either.

Last edited: