Sunglasses

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_0747.jpeg

The world through a TAC G-15 lens. (triacetate cellulose)
Not so dark that cloudy days are out.
Not so light that bright sun days are out.
Crisper vision than polycarbonate.

TAC lenses are polarized. They are multi-layered plastic lenses that start with a polarizing film, then layers of chemical resistance, then layers of UV blockers and finally layers of impact/scratch resistance. All about 1mm thick. Not as shatter resistant as polycarbonate yet clarity is better.

A good all purpose lens.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 40th anniverssary Gargoyles classics are pretty cool.

IMG_0783.jpeg

They scream "look at me" as bright green 75mm distortion-free curved mirrors.

But on the back side thanks to anti-reflective coating the non polarized lenses have a neat trick that cuts glare like polarized while having two distinct functions. The bottom half have a brown-ish tint like driver glasses while the top half have a blue-ish tint for bright conditions. It's subtle but definitely there.

IMG_0788.jpeg

Note a slight blue tint to the white signs.
Also note the sign to the right had a lot of glare that was demolished without a polarizing film.

IMG_0789.jpeg

Note the slight brown tint to the center sign.
The camera had so much auto correct it's hard to get a photo of what you see.

The crazy part is when I take them off the world looks strange. Greens look flourescent. Colors appear weird for a few seconds. Again the auto correct does not allow a photo of what I mean.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_0857.jpeg

Ugh! Morning glare after a rain event.

IMG_0860.jpeg

Tamed nicely through a polarized lens.

In this case a gray glass lens. At sunrise it was raining. On the comute the rain stopped and clouds began to part. Yikes, bright morning sun bouncing off the wet pavement. Cloud cover came and went so a non-gradient gray polarized lens was the choice.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_0885.jpeg

Life through a brown lens

IMG_0886.jpeg

No lens
On a bright sunny mid-day the brown creates a "holy crap, turn that down" effect. The photos were taken in the shade looking toward more shade. The muted colors can help finding details or can make details harder to see. Yet the slightly brighter aspect can allow the wearer at dusk or dawn to see better for driving due to a slightly brighter appearance.

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened
140 million suckers out there.
This thread has not helped me except for the comment about the foster grant cheapos at Walmart being good enough. The pics on here are terrible and are ZERO reference to real life views. I know it was said and admitted, just stating fact. But it was a fun read.,

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread has not helped me except for the comment about the foster grant cheapos at Walmart being good enough. The pics on here are terrible and are ZERO reference to real life views. I know it was said and admitted, just stating fact. But it was a fun read.,
You are entirely too cheerful. Sober up and smell the cesspool.

Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
I have Shady Rays...they have a great warranty program. I would get them by stacking coupon codes. I forgot them on a trip recently, ended up at Sunglass hut as the sun was just unbearable. Found a pair of Ray bans for $50 bucks. I like them a lot, but hated giving money to that monopoly.

I also have a $10 pair from Walmart for fishing. I really like those as well. Ha! I guess like flashlights my collection grows.
Watches, Flashlights, sunglasses...what's next?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have Shady Rays...they have a great warranty program. I would get them by stacking coupon codes. I forgot them on a trip recently, ended up at Sunglass hut as the sun was just unbearable. Found a pair of Ray bans for $50 bucks. I like them a lot, but hated giving money to that monopoly.

I also have a $10 pair from Walmart for fishing. I really like those as well. Ha! I guess like flashlights my collection grows.
Inkpens? Pocket knives? Flashlight forums? 👍

I didn't set out to collect sunglasses. I just ended up with a bunch. I have this whole "1 is none so 22 is 3" thing going....

I work with folks who have 1 pair of nice sunglasses and only the one. They have one pair of boots, one pocket knife, one jacket, etc. Others have 33 (give or take) scratched up pairs of cheapos scattered about, various jackets and such.

Here's a place to see what colors do what.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Knives, night-vision gear, small Ti prybars, fountain pens, custom vegan leather backpacks/ sling packs, and recording equipment to document all your new collecting hobbies on your new YouTube channel.

Brokenarrow

Newly Enlightened
Speaking of sunglasses and if I might throw in the "getting older" terminology I am sick and tired of constantly swapping between sunglasses and readers while fishing.
Just ordered my first pair of bifocals made by Kastking and after a few days they seem to be fine and work well.
Now looking to add a few extra pairs so loking for advice on what others have found to work well as both sunglasses and readers?

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of sunglasses and if I might throw in the "getting older" terminology I am sick and tired of constantly swapping between sunglasses and readers while fishing.
Just ordered my first pair of bifocals made by Kastking and after a few days they seem to be fine and work well.
Now looking to add a few extra pairs so loking for advice on what others have found to work well as both sunglasses and readers?
here ya go... pick your poison, it's what AstroTurf would do.

1695297684393.jpeg