The Malkoff Front Porch

tex.proud

Enlightened
I very much prefer the original knurling of my MD2 on the left to the new styling. I find it slick.

20240503_204547.jpg

So I used approximately 11 1/2 feet (cut off 20ft and measured leftover) of #26 bank line to wrap ithe 21700 body. Come to find that where you pull the trailing end back through to secure it acts as an anti-rolll. Bonus!

20240503_204712.jpg

Very grippy now.

Carry On!

doctorbrownbear

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I found it on Illumn and I think it had to be one of the last NOS. It wasn't perfect and I had to smooth out the top because it was having contact issues with the hi/low switch, but it's good now. Only other complaint is that it doesn't fit all protected batteries, but I plan on sanding the inside at some point.
Try the malkoff extender kit. Works wonders and you can't even tell that it's there. I use the flush extension on almost all my malkoffs because im all in on built in usb-c protected batteries

Chris_Himself

Newly Enlightened
I'm kind of regretting selling my OG MD2 with the kroll switch now that I have 3 MD2's lol.

I just picked up an M61W from Gene because my original 219C dropin from like 2012 JUST died and he traded me for a brand new M61W and while the light is no longer searing for defensive purposes like the standard M61 (I swear the tint does most of the work, 200 lumens used to be blinding to me), it's perhaps the nicest beam I have ever looked at from a flashlight.

I just lost a reaction time battle on facebook for a Lumens Factory E1P which would have gone nicely with my group buy 14500 219C MDC LMH.. I have a lot of 18350's for my other lights and it would have been nice to convert it to my normal flashlight food

md17

Enlightened
Try the malkoff extender kit. Works wonders and you can't even tell that it's there. I use the flush extension on almost all my malkoffs because im all in on built in usb-c protected batteries
I have the extender kit. I'm referring to diameter. The 2000 mah Keeppower 18500 does work in the md3 however.

md17

Enlightened
Any suggestions for a soft carry case for several lights? Right now I am using a Husky Canvass bag from Home Depot, but it's only got 2 compartments. Something slightly smaller than a laptop case that could hold a HD, Wildcat and a few md2/md3 lights would be nice.

md17

Enlightened
Oh, if we're talking sling-bags for Men; have to check out Etsy.
Lots of good choices (and definitely a good number of those choices for quite a bit less than nearly $200.oo).
I was thinking more like a tool roll style. As long can I can separate the lights from compartments and have space for a couple extra batteries.

Johnny Ryall

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking more like a tool roll style. As long can I can separate the lights from compartments and have space for a couple extra batteries.
not tool roll but sounds like you want a large edc pouch of sorts, check max-pedition, vanquest or helikon brands
mine is a hidden woodsman and not really the best for lots of stuff, I don't really use it for lights but you can see how one would carry lights well, I have smaller ones with way more straps and slots I've used for small lights and knives.

Attachments

• tempImagejlbFgb.png
    tempImagejlbFgb.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 70

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not what OP asked for, but checkout AceCase online knife zippered cases. They offer up to 25" long that will fit your ML 7C. Very affordable and they're made in Missouri, USA

JP031716

Newly Enlightened
I'm between two drop-ins to complement my HD XPL Neutral on an MD4 host; the M91BN and M91BW and seeking thoughts from you all on them.

I have a M61WL sitting in an Elzetta Bravo currently, and I really like the tint but I'm finding it hard to imagine what 950 lumens out of the standard M61 reflector.

Also, I find the M91BN appealing as well since it says it's running an XPL versus the SST-20 4000k in the M61 and MDCs which I'm not a fan of. Also, curious as to what this will look like at 950 lumen output with the reflector.

Last edited:

md17

Enlightened
I'm between two drop-ins to complement my HD XPL Neutral on an MD4 host; the M91BN and M91BW and seeking thoughts from you all on them.

I have a M61WL sitting in an Elzetta Bravo currently, and I really like the tint but I'm finding it hard to imagine what 950 lumens out of the standard M61 reflector.

Also, I find the M91BN appealing as well since it says it's running an XPL versus the SST-20 4000k in the M61 and MDCs which I'm not a fan of. Also, curious as to what this will look like at 950 lumen output with the reflector.
M91BN is a piece of art. That defined beam from a reflector is perfect and while a majority of the light is in the hotspot, it still has very useful spill

Chris_Himself

Newly Enlightened

Hey I just got an M61W from Gene in exchange for an old 219B dropin who's driver failed after 12 years of being left on for hours til the battery died all the time. The W is the way to go for me for what you're looking for to offset the night fighting beam of the HD. The N is "reasonable" for high CRI but the W has a real wow factor and the beam is super comfy. If you use a light for hours at a time it's super comfortable, for defensive purposes it's a bit too comfy. Even for short bathroom trips its got a "wow" factor since every other light I have is a neutral tint 4500k 95CRI blah blah blah. It was so much so that I find the M61 actually MORE impressive in its ability to pierce the night sometimes.

Also, I would love to commend Malkoff for their excellent service. 7-day total turnaround for something I probably caused by using my flashlight WAY too much and running it down all the time, putting the batteries backwards, dropping it, getting it wet, etc.

md17

Enlightened
Hey I just got an M61W from Gene in exchange for an old 219B dropin who's driver failed after 12 years of being left on for hours til the battery died all the time. The W is the way to go for me for what you're looking for to offset the night fighting beam of the HD. The N is "reasonable" for high CRI but the W has a real wow factor and the beam is super comfy. If you use a light for hours at a time it's super comfortable, for defensive purposes it's a bit too comfy. Even for short bathroom trips its got a "wow" factor since every other light I have is a neutral tint 4500k 95CRI blah blah blah. It was so much so that I find the M61 actually MORE impressive in its ability to pierce the night sometimes.

Also, I would love to commend Malkoff for their excellent service. 7-day total turnaround for something I probably caused by using my flashlight WAY too much and running it down all the time, putting the batteries backwards, dropping it, getting it wet, etc.
That is a good point. If all the other big hitters are already neutral, an m91bw may be a nice choice. I do prefer the neutral for outside and the warm for inside, but given You've got all neutral….lighting a big warm outdoor candle might be cool.

JP031716

Newly Enlightened
So I'm interested in the HD 18650 XT but does does anyone know if they made it in Neutral tint? I'm such a big fan of the HD XPL but would also appreciate a smaller, single cell option.