True 1.5v AA and AAA batteries

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The advantage of any of these 1.5V, and I've settled on the blue 3500 Hixon ones, is the voltage. The best use I have found are my unregulated 2-cell LED candles. Granted, that is $8-10 of batteries in $5 candles, but it's a hobby. The AAA are handy in a LCD remote thermometer where the contrast is not good at 1.2V (1.3 is iffy). I've also read about people enjoying them in incandescent mini mag flashlights, and apparently the bulb doesn't burn out unreasonably fast.
They can also be handy in motorized things, though, of course, you have to wonder if it will shorten motor life. Not in a door lock, probably, but possibly in a massager or cheapie RC toy.
I've had too many failures with EBL to recommend them, though I am enjoying the aesthetically nifty end-charge ST7 and ST5 cells that have a sloping voltage (1.3V-ish much of the time).
XTAR I find to be too expensive and/or limited availability of the product I want. The BC chargers are much better, as they'll do NiMH as well, but on Amazon, their reasonably priced sets all push the LC series that only does LiIon 1.5V. They need to get their full line, in useful combo packs, up on amazon.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
yow. i'm happy with 1.5, and rechargeable.
Idiosyncratically, my favorite is to use two old-school Sanyo NiCd AAs. I started using minimags when they came out, and NiMH wasn't available. Fun nostalgia. I like the warm color of the bulb at 2.4-2.6.

I tried a Li primary in a solitaire when the AAA ultimates came out and that popped the bulb in like 15 min.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tested quite a few NiMH and found Eneloop being the best. I still use (then Sanyo) Eneloops from early 2000' and they are still 90% of capacity.
Yeah my 2006 are pretty much dead at this point but the little-used 2008 are great, and I have some sets that age still in service.

Li 1.5V are a cool new technology. They are not, now, particularly a good value, or necessarily reliable. They _are_ really good alternatives to primary Li in applications that would eat primaries quickly or wouldn't like the full 1.7V. They're also fun for us electronics enthusiasts.