What was your prep for today?

scout24

Flashaholic
I'll be taking inventory on paper today, and keeping that list with my canned goods. And some Eneloop AA's are "out for delivery"

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I prepared for an evening chef's salad by swiping 2 hard boiled eggs off the breakfast bar at a hotel. Already had everything else ready, just needed sliced eggs.

Later I did some knee isometrics as prep for climbing stairs after the salad.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Today's preps were load pockets with smallest, lightest flashlights since a quarterly checkup means step on the scale and I wanted to gauge how things are going weight-wise. Grams mattered today. (Spare batteries in jacket pocket.)

Put on comfy shoes in case car breaks and walking is required.

Next was guzzle a half bottle of water to ensure a sample could be produced for checking kidneys etc. Also swells veins slightly for easier blood draw for checking other 'old guy' stuff. Second half of water was sipped on during visit to thwart off bad breath during the process.

Make sure check book had extras since doc don't take plastic for co-pays.

Carry spare garments in case last nights salad causes sudden digestive tract purge. Years of poor eating habits are replaced with healthy stuff so my body is still adapting.

Next prep was carry battery pack in case of auto breakdown and extra celphone battery capacity was capable.

Carry spare phone from alternate carrier in case breakdown occured in no signal zone of carrier A.

Give car once over for basic fluids etc.

Give myself a pat down prior to leaving to ensure basic items are loaded in my pockets. Knife, clippers, chap stick etc. Check.

Carry extra vape gear so I won't smoke if vehicle breaks.

Carry cigarettes in case vape gear fails during auto break down.

Carry spare lighter.

Look to passenger side of car to ensure I didn't forget to bring Mrs. Fixer.

Go to doctor, receive goods news then go home and drink a cup of coffee left in the microwave in case the kids drank the last cup in the coffee pot. Get home and coffee pot is empty.

Last edited:

Lumen83

Enlightened
I've been stocking up on canned fermentables lately. Malt Extract, Fruit Extracts, etc. In addition to Food, water, tools, etc. I'm gonna need some beer and wine when the Zombies take the grid down. Its pretty easy to make home made beer and wine and not a lot of tools are necessary beyond that you would also find useful toward other areas of prepping. For example, brew kettles can be used to boil pathogens out of large quantities of water, Mash Tuns can be used for long term water storage, as can the fermentation vessels, etc.

scout24

Flashaholic
Today, I'm looking into a wild edibles woods walk class in my area in late spring. I missed one last year, and have been looking forward to another one. Books are great, but nothing beats hands on training. Also, it's Friday. Putting a case of Red Feather butter into my shopping cart online to purchase Monday. Oils and fats don't store well, but this stuff has a 10 year shelf life.

Mr. Fixer with the most important prep of all- Don't forget The Wife!!! :grin2:

bignc

Enlightened
Yesterday laid out some gear for camping. Today we are taking a short shakedown trip to a state park for an overnight car camping trip. It's been too long and we are backpacking in a few miles next weekend- gotta make sure the gear is still all good before living out of our packs for even 2 nights.

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks for the link, SH. Proper Prior Planning and all... (Google "The seven P's") A couple of good friends and I are scheduling a "Bugout Weekend" this spring, basically car camping but the idea is one of the wives is going to actually pick the date and time, and "GO!" You have 20 minutes to have the car packed with what you need for an extended stay off the grid. Drive roughly 2 hours, meet up at our rendevous point, and take everyone's inventory before camping from scratch for the weekend. Makes you have gear in labeled totes, inventoried and checked. In theory. And makes you triage what fits in and on your vehicle.

Rubicon1000

Newly Enlightened
Friday I ordered 4 cubic yards of garden soil.
I have a tractor with a front loader and we are going to add 10 more raised garden beds.
We have 10 beds that are 4'x12' and they also need some fresh soil added. We pressure can enough vegetables every year so we know what we are eating. This year we will have beats, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, zucchini,squash, spinach, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, green beans, onions, peppers, soup beans, sweet corn and popcorn, cucumbers, and I'm sure I'm missing something.
My wife enjoys the garden and it's pretty nice having a couple years worth of canned food.
We canned venison for the first time last fall and it turned out great. I'll add some pictures when I start building the new beds with details on what has worked for us and what we have learned from past mistakes. Dan

bignc

Enlightened
Rubicon may be my new hero. Lol. I come from farmers and gardeners but when we moved back to the country, I had weather issues and bug issues with my row garden. So, this year we are starting over small in containers and a small raised bed.... I did out fruit trees that are thriving where my original garden was. Btw, I'm the idiot that ignored Granny and moved the garden somewhere else. Dur.

did break camp pretty quickly this morning and wifey and I discussed some changes to our load-outs both for bugging home and for backpacking.

scout24

Flashaholic
Good to see fellow gardeners on here. We also have some fruit trees, apple peach cherry and pear. Two hazlenut trees. A mulberry tree. Some grapes and raspberries. All put in two years ago, no real fruit crop yet. This is my Wife's "orchard".

There's also a 25x50' high fenced garden with raised beds and a small greenhouse. We canned 40+ jars of tomatoes last year, and a ton of pickles. Some green beans. Some eggplant, lettuce, potatoes, peas, and herbs. Eight blueberry bushes, but they're still small. What we do have are blackberries. Tons. I picked four one-gallon freezer bags last summer, made two dozen jars of jam. Rubicon- what tractor do you have? We're running a small New Holland that we bought used five years ago.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are we getting water? Can't dig a well depending on the disaster, can't catch acid rain...I'm getting worried [emoji45]

scout24

Flashaholic
Went and picked up two 50 pound bags of whole corn today from my local Agway. We keep it stored in a metal garbage can that's never been used for anything else. A bit here and there keeps the deer happy, and if needed it would stretch my pantry a bit... By the way, the garlic we planted last fall has started to poke through the surface in two of our beds. 40+ coming up so far... 😁

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went and ate 2 50 pound bags of corn............ oh wait should that be a storage amount? [emoji52]

Really enjoying this thread so far!

Lumen83

Enlightened
Where are we getting water? Can't dig a well depending on the disaster, can't catch acid rain...I'm getting worried [emoji45]

I'm personally planning on getting my from the various streams and the big river that borders my property. But, whats wrong with catching the rain?

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
If things go that far sideways, I'll boil or filter what gets into my rain barrels or what I can collect from nearby streams or ponds. We do have well water here, but it's too deep to hand pump. I do need to have an old well checked on adjacent property we own to see if that one is shallow enough to have a hand pump installed. It's on the endless, endless list. No prep for today, but we do have marigold seeds starting to sprout in the livingroom starter trays. Veggies should be close behind! :)

scout24

Flashaholic
KITRO- That's ingenious. Thanks for the link! And the tripod tip. I'll be dropping a fishing line with sinker and bobber down my well this weekend to find depth. (While common to write depth on the underside of the cap, mine's not there...) 👍👍👍