🎄Don't Forget the Women in Your Lives🎁

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think women are only at risk of these problems in India and USA.

When I went to university I recall there was a phone booth in the parking lot because women or feminists or some other idiot American thought they can't even leave a building and go to their car without being raped. I guess that happens in places with bad Western and or feminist values.

I think instead of a bright light we need more religious laws in place and someone like Hizbah to make the world a better place. Instead of coddling bad people they eliminate them.

Strobe won't work. I tested this theory on someone I know who likes holding people at gun point and filming them as they get assaulted, but not sexually just physically. Sure maybe for a second they are a bit off balance but then they start swinging fists or pull the trigger on a gun they have. You don't have to take my word for it have someone test your tactical light on yourself see that brightness and strobe does nothing. Don't equip someone with the wrong tool for the job.

If you wanna have body armour, a handgun, SMG, or assault rifle, training and the will to use it then adding a light makes you more effective in a bad situation. However even the pros are using them momentarily or holding away from the body because a light can draw fire.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
no, we do not need religious laws, we have way too many of ours, i would be fine with repelling half of those, our legal system was adequate as far as removing criminals, until they became soft on crime, no bails, and dropping charges against violent criminals, and criminalize self defense, decriminalizing drug addiction, and even hard drugs,

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Strobe is for signaling. Thankfully, aside from new members who are simply ignorant about its proper use, we rarely see anyone advocating it as a way to stop an attacker. Want to use a flashlight as a self-defense tool? Get a model with a slight but aggressive crenulated bezel; and start raining down hamer-fist blows with it before disengaging and running to safety.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
no, we do not need religious laws, we have way too many of ours, i would be fine with repelling half of those, our legal system was adequate as far as removing criminals, until they became soft on crime, no bails, and dropping charges against violent criminals, and criminalize self defense, decriminalizing drug addiction, and even hard drugs,
Honestly though, the few religious laws on the books mostly get ignored here in America. If I had to pick the worst offender, it would be the one in certain jurisdictions that insist liquor stores be closed on Sundays. That's about it though.

But I agree with you that the wrong people are in charge of the criminal Justice system, across the board. Heck, our Governor here in NY is happy to free the most violent criminals with zero bail, zero incarceration. How did this joke of a human-being win re-election? Her opponent was an inexperienced, weak-willed sad joke of a man. And, she obviously ran as a Democrat. Typical New York voters.... Blindly vote for the Democrat candidate with zero thought involved. You could put Adolph Hitler on the ballot. If there's a "D." next to his name, watch him get elected, easily!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wont be surprised if she bans bright flashlights, ny legislature already has a bill requiring fingerprints, background check and waiting period for 3d printers, i wont be surprised if it passes,

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really care for your women -- make sure they are armed and properly trained. Make sure your country is not occupied by the marxists that release predators out of jails.

Anything else is just a fancy excuse of doing nothing.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I wont be surprised if she bans bright flashlights, ny legislature already has a bill requiring fingerprints, background check and waiting period for 3d printers, i wont be surprised if it passes,
Honestly, I won't either.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I would argue that SOS / strobe can be handy as an attention-getting or simple communication feature on flashlights suitable for hiking, but as a self-defense feature for women...no, sorry, that is quite the reach. Even on regular EDCs, I don't see the point in neither SOS or strobe other than an additional annoyance at raves.

I have tried stepping into the strobe on 960 Lumen Fenix PD35 and a 3000 Lumen Acebeam EC50 Gen. II in a dimly lit room at home, and apart from being annoyed by it, after the couple seconds it took for my eyes to adapt, it was easy to ignore. However, I did the same with the 5100 Lumen Fenix TK75 2018, and it did start to disorientate me...but at that point, the light itself was not of a practical size to carry around. Also, if I had been an aggressor, I would not have stood still and stared into the strobe like I did at home.

I guess the only exception is if the aggressor is succeptible to photosentitive epileptic attacks, but that's hardly a gamble worth mentioning in an advertisement poster. If a flashlight is to be used as a self-defense tool for women, as others have already said: get a smaller one with a long and really crenulated bezel. File it down if you have to (but not so much it can be perceived as a knife!). If a woman really needs to, driving something like that into somebody's ribs will do a hell of a lot more than a simple strobe to their eyes.

So yes to SOS / strobe on flashlights, but no to using that as marketing towards women.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave a couple of girls I knew flashlights and immediately explained that the best way to use it for protection is to turn it on to maximum mode and throw it towards an aggressive person, this can distract him for a couple of seconds, during which she can either pull out the pepper spray or start running away. But only if light is already in hands. Otherwise, it's better to run or use a spray can

fuyume

Enlightened
"Stranger Danger" is a myth. Statistically, a woman or girl is much more likely to be assaulted or raped by someone she already knows. Not to put too fine a point on it, a woman is far more likely to be assaulted or raped by the person gifting her a flashlight than the bizarre image of an attacker on the street lying in wait.

If you want to buy a woman a flashlight, a tactical flashlight in most cases is not going to be useful, used, or appreciated by most women. What most women *will* appreciate is a small (no larger than a lipstick), lightweight utility flashlight that takes a single, common battery, that has a simple method of operation, and a low brightness mode that always comes on first and is enough to see the bottom of her handbag.

Since this is a Fenix Store thread, I will go ahead and say most women will appreciate a Fenix E12 v2.0. It's small enough and light enough to put even in a formal evening clutch, it takes a single AA, it has a dead simple operation with no parasitic drain, and it offers enough light, always coming on in low mode.

My EDC gear that always goes with me, even to a formal event, is a small flashlight like the E12 v2.0, a Victorinox Rambler 52 mm Swiss Army Knife, a Fisher Bullet Space Pen, and a mini Bic lighter. These items need to be small, because most evening bags are tiny, and I already need to have my lipstick, powder compact, and other feminine items in there, as well as my iPhone and keys.

Obviously, there are some strange women out there (like me). Not every woman is "most women". The only reason I own a tactical flashlight is because it has a physical lockout and a physical switch to a utility mode, and a large battery, so it's useful as a bicycle headlamp with a long runtime. It lives on my bicycle handlebar, so the only times I use it are when I am outdoors, so if I happen to require a searchlight when I am riding at night, it's there. Mostly that involves scanning for wandering skunks on my way to and from the grocery store at night.

Even the Nitecore EC11 I now carry as my EDC light is too complicated, and has parasitic drain if not kept partially unscrewed in my handbag, and it has no modes between 1 lumen (not really enough) and 70 lumens (too much), though it is a good size. I'm thinking of going back to my E12 v2.0. I only got the EC11 because I thought I might like having the red secondary LED, and I do, but accessing the right mode when I need it is hit and miss.

As for strobe modes, they are useful for only one thing, and even then only for a fraction of a second. They are designed to blind and disorient a potentially armed attacker in the dark, to prevent them from aiming a weapon effectively, and to illuminate that subject so that you can aim your weapon at them, in return, or get a head start running away. The effective period does not last long, but it's enough to gain an advantage. The light will cause them to reflexively flinch away from it and cause their pupils to contract, but it absolutely will not stop a determined attacker.

Man, woman, or otherwise, your most effective defense is always going to be situational awareness first to keep away from potentially compromising threats, and flight second. Attempting to confront or battle an attacker should only be done as a last resort, as any good self-defense teacher or practitioner already knows.

An SOS mode is potentially useful in the backcountry, but is completely unnecessary in a utility flashlight.

Much more useful when camping is a headlamp, that leaves your hands free to cook or pee in the dark. Again, this being a Fenix Store thread, the Fenix HM23 is a no-brainer as a gift for a woman who frequently goes camping. Like the E12 v2.0, it is small, lightweight, dead simple, and takes one AA, though it does have parasitic drain. This is not particularly a problem for a headlamp, since it won't be relied upon as an "always ready" EDC light. Just take the battery out between trips.

If you have a woman for whom you wish to purchase a gift, the best advice is to ask her what she wants, and if you don't know her well enough to ask, you probably don't know her well enough to give her a gift in the first place. Otherwise, something small and inconsequential is warranted.

Last edited:

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
"Stranger Danger" is a myth. Statistically, a woman or girl is much more likely to be assaulted or raped by someone she already knows. Not to put too fine a point on it, a woman is far more likely to be assaulted or raped by the person gifting her a flashlight than the bizarre image of an attacker on the street lying in wait.

If you want to buy a woman a flashlight, a tactical flashlight in most cases is not going to be useful, used, or appreciated by most women. What most women *will* appreciate is a small (no larger than a lipstick), lightweight utility flashlight that takes a single, common battery, that has a simple method of operation, and a low brightness mode that always comes on first and is enough to see the bottom of her handbag.

Since this is a Fenix Store thread, I will go ahead and say most women will appreciate a Fenix E12 v2.0. It's small enough and light enough to put even in a formal evening clutch, it takes a single AA, it has a dead simple operation with no parasitic drain, and it offers enough light, always coming on in low mode.

My EDC gear that always goes with me, even to a formal event, is a small flashlight like the E12 v2.0, a Victorinox Rambler 52 mm Swiss Army Knife, a Fisher Bullet Space Pen, and a mini Bic lighter. These items need to be small, because most evening bags are tiny, and I already need to have my lipstick, powder compact, and other feminine items in there, as well as my iPhone and keys.

Obviously, there are some strange women out there (like me). Not every woman is "most women". The only reason I own a tactical flashlight is because it has a physical lockout and a physical switch to a utility mode, and a large battery, so it's useful as a bicycle headlamp with a long runtime. It lives on my bicycle handlebar, so the only times I use it are when I am outdoors, so if I happen to require a searchlight when I am riding at night, it's there. Mostly that involves scanning for wandering skunks on my way to and from the grocery store at night.

Even the Nitecore EC11 I now carry as my EDC light is too complicated, and has parasitic drain if not kept partially unscrewed in my handbag, and it has no modes between 1 lumen (not really enough) and 70 lumens (too much), though it is a good size. I'm thinking of going back to my E12 v2.0. I only got the EC11 because I thought I might like having the red secondary LED, and I do, but accessing the right mode when I need it is hit and miss.

As for strobe modes, they are useful for only one thing, and even then only for a fraction of a second. They are designed to blind and disorient a potentially armed attacker in the dark, to prevent them from aiming a weapon effectively, and to illuminate that subject so that you can aim your weapon at them, in return, or get a head start running away. The effective period does not last long, but it's enough to gain an advantage. The light will cause them to reflexively flinch away from it and cause their pupils to contract, but it absolutely will not stop a determined attacker.

Man, woman, or otherwise, your most effective defense is always going to be situational awareness first to keep away from potentially compromising threats, and flight second. Attempting to confront or battle an attacker should only be done as a last resort, as any good self-defense teacher or practitioner already knows.

An SOS mode is potentially useful in the backcountry, but is completely unnecessary in a utility flashlight.

Much more useful when camping is a headlamp, that leaves your hands free to cook or pee in the dark. Again, this being a Fenix Store thread, the Fenix HM23 is a no-brainer as a gift for a woman who frequently goes camping. Like the E12 v2.0, it is small, lightweight, dead simple, and takes one AA, though it does have parasitic drain. This is not particularly a problem for a headlamp, since it won't be relied upon as an "always ready" EDC light. Just take the battery out between trips.

If you have a woman for whom you wish to purchase a gift, the best advice is to ask her what she wants, and if you don't know her well enough to ask, you probably don't know her well enough to give her a gift in the first place. Otherwise, something small and inconsequential is warranted.
Very well said, ma'am.
However, with all due respect I think there are two areas you could improve - smooth down the accusatory tone a little, (he said, accusingly :rolleyes:) and
let the pendulum back to the centre on "stranger danger".
I disagree with @kaichu dento that the inverse is implied; clearly trusting all strangers completely was not your intention. But maybe it would be better said something like, "stranger danger is a bit overrated in most - say for example - middle-class westerner's lives". We could dive deep into this, but a moderate view is warranted, methinks!

I certainly agree that torches (flashlights) as an isolated form of effective self-defence are usually overrated to the point of silliness. And yes, in turn, that does not imply the inverse, i.e. 'don't bother carrying one'. I strongly believe that carrying a light is a PART of awareness, preparedness, and defence if needed. You're right, one would be surprised where the real trouble often comes from…

Keep your head screwed on right, and your eyes open. And don't forget; it is well worth the risk to love others!