1 AA headlamp

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beside Zebra H501, are there any other decent 1AA headlamps w. great runtime/output?

I decided to get another one after I sold my EOS (don't like 3 cells) because my car muffler was dragging on the floor. So I have to go underneath the car and use wires to lift it off the ground until I can get it fix probably. I then realized how convience it would had been if I had a headlamp.

I don't want to spend too much on a headlamp for I rarely uses it (not until something happen to my car again) lol. Thanks.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
47's is releasing something that will turn all Quarks into headlamps (presumably including the 1xAA).

There is also the Energizer Mico one.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Marduke,

I found that out when I posted requesting a 47 headlamp.

But then I have to buy a quark, head strap, and the converter.

Thanks for the energizer trailfinder Micro. It looks great. Exactly what I wanted. Need see who's selling it for a good price. Thanks again!

tnuckels

Enlightened
There seem to be several returning the Energizer Micro over in the thread about its release. Look in the latter pages once it finally comes to market, the reactions seem split.

Other than ~2hr runtime I'm quite happy (I own five) with the Ray-O-Vac 1xAA which is about $20.

Good Luck!

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seem to be several returning the Energizer Micro over in the thread about its release. Look in the latter pages once it finally comes to market, the reactions seem split.

Other than ~2hr runtime I'm quite happy (I own five) with the Ray-O-Vac 1xAA which is about $20.

Good Luck!

yea. I read that. Thanks for the info. I think I narrow down to ray-o-vac.

I'll wait until 47 comes out with the converter. And see whether or not it will work for the soon-to-be-release AAA. I hope the converter gives us a option of using a built in diffuser.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
That 1AA ROV is selling for $13 locally and gives good performance and options. That's really a bargain for the feature and operational convenience found in that head light.

The 2 hour RT is for the main, white, LED and much longer operation is available with the 5mm LEDs. Sure, dimming or a white 5mm LED would be nice, but then it would cost twice the price.

I chose the ROV over the Energizer, however, when the Bunny brand comes down to a more reasonable price I may have to get one.

Gnufsh

Enlightened
I recently got the energizer 1aa trailfinder micro mentioned earlier. I use it as a backup to my main light, and so far I really like it. Not super bright like my primelite race, but more than bright enough to do the job. dimmable for longer runtime, and 2 5mm red leds. I got the combo pack at costco, seems to me like it was an excellent deal.

tnuckels

Enlightened
Yes, headlamp tilts, actually a full 180º, and the strap can be removed from the lamp through T shaped slots in the bracket. I've thrown the bands in the wash and taken a scrub brush to the lamps after a messy trip and they're still good to go. These are great as loaners, kid lights, gifts, or tucked away for later use.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
About all they would need to do to the ROV Sportsman Extreme light is exchange the worthless blue 5mm LED and replace it with a white one. It is one of my most heavily used headlamps I have. The battery life while running the main LED is a bit short (~ 1 hour on a Eneloop AA).

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
About all they would need to do to the ROV Sportsman Extreme light is exchange the worthless blue 5mm LED and replace it with a white one. It is one of my most heavily used headlamps I have. The battery life while running the main LED is a bit short (~ 1 hour on a Eneloop AA).

1 hr on eneloop AA? I thought I read it's roughly about ~2hrs. :thinking:

tnuckels

Enlightened
One hour seems low. I think if you read the couple threads on this lamp, 2hrs is closer to the norm.

When I first bought one of the ROV 1xAA headlamps a few years back I paid closer attention to the runtime and recall getting around 2hrs off the included alkaline that came with the lamp. Subsequent rechargeables, mostly Duracell 2650s, produced similar results. Satisfied that I could live with this one drawback (OK, blue LED is goofy too) I bought more. Like I said, I have 5 right now, and have given at least ½ dozen as gifts. So far, no complaints.

I'd think even 2000mAh eneloops would get ~ 1 ½ hours, though I've not tried the ROV with eneloops as yet. I suppose you could return the lamp if dissatisfied because, as always, YMMV.

MorePower

Enlightened
One hour seems low. I think if you read the couple threads on this lamp, 2hrs is closer to the norm.

When I first bought one of the ROV 1xAA headlamps a few years back I paid closer attention to the runtime and recall getting around 2hrs off the included alkaline that came with the lamp. Subsequent rechargeables, mostly Duracell 2650s, produced similar results. Satisfied that I could live with this one drawback (OK, blue LED is goofy too) I bought more. Like I said, I have 5 right now, and have given at least ½ dozen as gifts. So far, no complaints.

I'd think even 2000mAh eneloops would get ~ 1 ½ hours, though I've not tried the ROV with eneloops as yet. I suppose you could return the lamp if dissatisfied because, as always, YMMV.

You should get 1:45 to 2 hours on the main LED with an alkaline AA. An Eneloop should run closer to 3 hours. Before returning the lamp, I'd check the Eneloop.

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should get 1:45 to 2 hours on the main LED with an alkaline AA. An Eneloop should run closer to 4 hours. Before returning the lamp, I'd check the Eneloop.

~4 hrs on eneloop??? That's is twice what I expected!!! That's wonderful if it is true.

So you did check the runtime on eneloop?
Why did you return it?

Last edited:

MorePower

Enlightened
~4 hrs on eneloop??? That's is twice what I expected!!! That's wonderful if it is true.

So you did check the runtime on eneloop?
Why did you return it?

Looking back at my notes, I may have misspoke with regards to Eneloop runtime. 3 hours is probably more reasonable. I measured ~700mA draw at 1.2V input on my light. That would translate to about 3 hours on a 2000mAh NiMH cell. Using an alkaline cell, I got 1:40 to 50% output, which would be about right for 700mA current draw.

I didn't return mine, I was referring to tnuckels who said, "I suppose you could return the lamp if dissatisfied because, as always, YMMV."

Sorry for the confusion, I've edited my previous post to reflect a 3 hour estimated runtime.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking back at my notes, I may have misspoke with regards to Eneloop runtime. 3 hours is probably more reasonable. I measured ~700mA draw at 1.2V input on my light. That would translate to about 3 hours on a 2000mAh NiMH cell. Using an alkaline cell, I got 1:40 to 50% output, which would be about right for 700mA current draw.

I didn't return mine, I was referring to tnuckels who said, "I suppose you could return the lamp if dissatisfied because, as always, YMMV."

Sorry for the confusion, I've edited my previous post to reflect a 3 hour estimated runtime.

No apologise needed my friend. I simply mis-read it. Thank you very much for your inputs regarding a headlamp that is 2-3 yrs old. Thank you once again.

uplite

Enlightened
Beside Zebra H501, are there any other decent 1AA headlamps w. great runtime/output?

I decided to get another one after I sold my EOS (don't like 3 cells) because my car muffler was dragging on the floor. So I have to go underneath the car and use wires to lift it off the ground until I can get it fix probably. I then realized how convience it would had been if I had a headlamp.

I don't want to spend too much on a headlamp for I rarely uses it (not until something happen to my car again) lol. Thanks.
To work under your car, you want a flood light. A thrower like the EOS or Energizer makes tight hotspot at close range that will blow out your vision. You would get better results from a dollar-store headlamp with multiple weak LEDs.

Zebralight does a beautifully even flood light at close range. I've used it when changing my oil & tranny fluid. Rayovac, I dunno.

BUT for this application, you would be better off with a regular light bulb plugged into a garage socket and dropped under the car. Much cheaper and much brighter. Use a desk lamp or table lamp if that's all you have. Save your money for a real repair of your exhaust system. A temporary muffler fix is a real hazard to the driver behind you...

-Jeff

MorePower

Enlightened
To work under your car, you want a flood light. A thrower like the EOS or Energizer makes tight hotspot at close range that will blow out your vision. You would get better results from a dollar-store headlamp with multiple weak LEDs.

Zebralight does a beautifully even flood light at close range. I've used it when changing my oil & tranny fluid. Rayovac, I dunno.

The Rayovac has a diffuser that can flip over the white or colored LEDs. It does a good job of turning the white LED into almost pure flood.