100 Watt LED Chips - Best Quality Brand ???

JetPilot

Newly Enlightened
I see a lot of cheap 100 Watt LED chips for sale that will burn out in very little time. Does anyone know which brand is the best, longest lasting 100 Watt chip ??? I put a lot of time into this project, I do not care about price, I would rather pay more for the LED and have it last...

Also, anyone know the best constant current driver that would make these work at 12 volts ?

Mike

evilc66

Enlightened
The Bridgelux Vero29 is also another great option with arguably better color rendition.

WeLight

Enlightened
CXB3590 is a top choice but if you want to run at 12V you will need a boost driver as most large COB's start at 36V drive voltage, however $60 is a ripoff, much cheaper elsewhere
Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

JetPilot

Newly Enlightened
Maybe a Cree CXB3590-0000-000N0HCD35G, available in the US through Digikey for around $60...

Thanks for the information, I love CREE LED's, I use them in all my projects ! I was not aware that they made a 60 watt LED, but I will go with that. Now just to find a 12 volt driver for it.

Mike

JetPilot

Newly Enlightened
CXB3590 is a top choice but if you want to run at 12V you will need a boost driver as most large COB's start at 36V drive voltage, however $60 is a ripoff, much cheaper elsewhere
Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark,

I would rather pay more for an LED that is not going to fail quickly, I would never trust the 8 dollar ones ebay, that would be a huge waste of time, and also a waste of 8 dollars also ;) BUT 60 dollars is seriously overpriced... Any suggestions on where to find the CREE ones cheaper ???

Mike

brickbat

Enlightened
...60 watt LED...

Of course it depends on your heatsink and ambient temperature, but the CXB3590 devices are good for more than 60W...

Poke around all their offerings, and be sure you get the CCT and CRI that's best for your application. There are tradeoffs in these specs, and it's not a matter of any particular device being 'best'. The $60 is the typical distributor price for these in single quantities. I'm anxious for Mark to back up his claim too...

WeLight

Enlightened
PM me for details, one of the nice things about running a 3590 at 60 watts is your wall plate eff is around 50+%
Cheers
Mark

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
I have made great experiences wit very cheap LED modules. The key is to run them at half of the rated power. The ones I used in my desk lamp project are running great for years now without any signs of degradation.