• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 100pc Left Titanium Firefly

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light is now one of my favorites! Applied a filter to the inside of the lens and I found a rubber switchboot that fits :)

Link to boots: http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S024731.10mm-x-8mm-Silicone-Tailcaps-Grey

611c11d7d53f26a13e5ee5c94ec8e8bb.jpg

92dc1dc9bb16b6c6f8cd6213b3c80a8d.jpg

Last edited:

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
3. Personally I loath pocket clips, but this one might change my mind.

Keith

Just curious, why do you hate pocket clips?
I never use them as pocket clips, but on my lights they are always on the opposite side of the side button. So that I can find the button easily.

Last edited:

skullpin

Newly Enlightened
I never use them as pocket clips, but on my lights they are always on the opposite side of the side button. So that I can find the button easily.

Good question. I am not sure why pocket clips are so popular. They originate from pens, and there it makes sense as the purpose is to keep the pen upright in one's pocket (a pen laying horizontally in a pocket is uncomfortable). But why pocket clips are put onto short items like three-four inch long pocket knives or flashlights eludes me. Strong pocket clips damage pocket edges. Heavy items like knives and flashlights cause the pocket to sag and ruins clothes' appearance. I suppose its okay with heavy denim jeans, but not with lightweight nylon golf shorts or front pocket shirts. Also, "riding high" just makes one's treasure more likely to fall out and get lost.

To me, pocket clips just add bulk. For instance I have a wonderful Spyderco Chapparal that is about 7-8mm thick. Its pocket clip doubles the width and makes it noticeable (read annoying) in my pocket.

On the Firefly light, the pocket clip is very nicely made. And, the flashlight is pretty long, approaching the length of a pen where a clip begins to make sense to prevent it from laying horizontal at the bottom of my pocket.

Obviously everybody will have their own take on the matter!

Cheers, Keith

ps.... my arrangement in somewhat out-of-date photo

skullpin

Newly Enlightened

Side topic: pocket clips kinda remind me of bottle openners. Check out virtually every EDC type item on KickStarter or any EDC keychain doodad shop and notice how everything has a freak'n bottle opener on it whether it needs on or not. Belt buckle with bottle openner: check. Bicycle axle wrench with bottle opener on it: check. Carbon fiber wallet with bottle opener: check. Carabiner with bottle opener: check.

It is a matter of time before flashlights are on the market with pocket clips that also open bottles.

Barf. Keith

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Good question. I am not sure why pocket clips are so popular. They originate from pens, and there it makes sense as the purpose is to keep the pen upright in one's pocket (a pen laying horizontally in a pocket is uncomfortable). But why pocket clips are put onto short items like three-four inch long pocket knives or flashlights eludes me. Strong pocket clips damage pocket edges. Heavy items like knives and flashlights cause the pocket to sag and ruins clothes' appearance. I suppose its okay with heavy denim jeans, but not with lightweight nylon golf shorts or front pocket shirts. Also, "riding high" just makes one's treasure more likely to fall out and get lost.

To me, pocket clips just add bulk. For instance I have a wonderful Spyderco Chapparal that is about 7-8mm thick. Its pocket clip doubles the width and makes it noticeable (read annoying) in my pocket.

On the Firefly light, the pocket clip is very nicely made. And, the flashlight is pretty long, approaching the length of a pen where a clip begins to make sense to prevent it from laying horizontal at the bottom of my pocket.

Obviously everybody will have their own take on the matter!

Cheers, Keith

ps.... my arrangement in somewhat out-of-date photo

Now come to think about it, it's probabily because of the same reasons that I don't use the clips. If they are strong, it's a hassle to get it on and off. Then it easily fall out if the pocket clip is soft. The only time I used the clip on my spyderco paramili is when I want it to sit high in my backpack.

I like your system, lightweight and practical. I am just too lazy, and I got a victorinox midnite manager with a built-in LED. It's not even water-proof. It's probably the worst light you can find on this forum. but man! it's handy.

helios123

Enlightened
Just received mine from the third wave! I sent you an email Joshua, please check. Cheers!

helios123

Enlightened
For those who have issues with the button (like me) and still prefer metal over rubber, here's a simple mod you can do. Please do this at your own risk, I am not responsible for any damages to your light!

1. Disassemble the switch. Use a pair of tweezers or pliers that fit on the grooves of the button retainer and turn anti clockwise. You have to take off the pocket clip for this since the screws are in the way. A good time to flame your clip!

2. I flamed the Ti Button until glowing hot and quenched it. Somehow it made it expand. Then file down the lip and polish it to a nice mirror finish. Please test fit each time, do it little by little!

3. Polish the insides of the Ti Button retainer. This can be easily done with a dremel, file if needed. Make sure you use a small rounded plane file, I use a diamond coated one and it took me less than 10 mins. You only need to polish the part where the lip of the button touches.

4. Clean compounds, lubricate threads and o-rings and assemble the light back.

My button is now super smooth! I also flamed the button (blurple?) and retainer (Bronze). EDIT: Uploaded a better pic of the clip without any fingerprints.

If you are going to flame, please make sure surface is very clean. Use some alcohol and wipe with lint free cloth.

Enjoy your lights!

Last edited:

jashhash

Enlightened
That's some beautiful flame polishing. About the button sticking issue though I noticed there is a product called copper grease which may be good for the button. I know that titanium sliding against titanium has a lot of galling friction so using a copper grease may help as a mediator. I haven't personally tried it, I may try the flame polishing though since that's just a fantastic finish. What kind of flame do you need for that type of polishing?

helios123

Enlightened
That's some beautiful flame polishing. About the button sticking issue though I noticed there is a product called copper grease which may be good for the button. I know that titanium sliding against titanium has a lot of galling friction so using a copper grease may help as a mediator. I haven't personally tried it, I may try the flame polishing though since that's just a fantastic finish. What kind of flame do you need for that type of polishing?

I just used a butane jet torch from the local hardware store. :) i refinished the clip in 2000 grit sandpaper before flaming.

By the way, I sent you an email Joshua please check..Cheers

Last edited:

helios123

Enlightened
Joshua,

Since my email hasn't been replied to, I thought I'd just post here..

When I disassembled the switch on my firefly, I noticed the pink silicone boot on one of them was ripped. Obviously judging from the design of the switch this would compromise the waterproofness because water can then flow directly from the sides of the Ti Button into the switch. The ripped part is inside the brass ring of the boot so the outer O-ring does not play any role in preventing water to enter.

I sent you an email whether I can buy 2 or 3 off you because I also noticed this pink silicone boot is prone to ripping (its very thin in the part where it ripped) especially with the brass ring pressed fit on it (on mine, the brass ring's inside circumference wasn't machined perfectly and it is sharp, which sliced into the boot). I would rather buy a couple more rather than receiving one replacement just to be safe in the future.

Please shoot me a PM or email..I would really like to start carrying my Firefly. Cheers

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joshua,

Since my email hasn't been replied to, I thought I'd just post here..

When I disassembled the switch on my firefly, I noticed the pink silicone boot on one of them was ripped. Obviously judging from the design of the switch this would compromise the waterproofness because water can then flow directly from the sides of the Ti Button into the switch. The ripped part is inside the brass ring of the boot so the outer O-ring does not play any role in preventing water to enter.

I sent you an email whether I can buy 2 or 3 off you because I also noticed this pink silicone boot is prone to ripping (its very thin in the part where it ripped) especially with the brass ring pressed fit on it (on mine, the brass ring's inside circumference wasn't machined perfectly and it is sharp, which sliced into the boot). I would rather buy a couple more rather than receiving one replacement just to be safe in the future.

Please shoot me a PM or email..I would really like to start carrying my Firefly. Cheers

could you post a picture of the boot? I haven't disassembled my fireflys switch yet, but had wondered how waterproof the titanium button area is since its metal on metal. Is the switch area of the firefly waterproof, Joshua?