• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 100pc Left Titanium Firefly

gunga

Flashaholic
The light uses a standard low to high UI, no memory. It has a reverse clicky, so full press for on and off, half press to toggle through modes. The reset time is annoying long (15-20 seconds!). I'm not sure why that decision was made. I think it was much shorter in the proto. 1-5 seconds would be much better.

The proto has a rubber boot. It doesn't look as nice but feels a lot better.

The retaining ring on the proto has 5 notches instead of the 6 in the final product. It's also stainless steel instead of ti. I'm unsure but I think the switch internal parts are a touch different (not the switch itself).

The boot seems to be a non-standard 10mm size.

I'm not sure where one buys spares.

I was thinking I'd like to trade my rubber boot assembly for a scratchy ti cap if anyone is interested.

:)

Edit: I just checked my proto review. The reset time was an ideal 1/2 second. The final version is inexplicably long.

Also, it looks like boots can be found here. I may need to get some for spares and colour options.

Last edited:

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking I'd like to trade my rubber boot assembly for a scratchy ti cap if anyone is interested.

Also, it looks like boots can be found here. I may need to get some for spares and colour options.

I'll make that trade! [emoji106]

gunga

Flashaholic
Sure. I'm in Canada. Note. I need to wait a few days. We might have a postal strike or lockout.

I have not checked to see if they are fully interchangeable but I don't see why not.

phosphor22

Enlightened
Does anyone happen to be aware if this change to the reset time was noted anywhere prior to the sale of the light? I read most of what's been posted as well as the campaign, but could have missed this.

The light uses a standard low to high UI, no memory. It has a reverse clicky, so full press for on and off, half press to toggle through modes. The reset time is annoying long (15-20 seconds!). I'm not sure why that decision was made. I think it was much shorter in the proto. 1-5 seconds would be much better.

The proto has a rubber boot. It doesn't look as nice but feels a lot better.

The retaining ring on the proto has 5 notches instead of the 6 in the final product. It's also stainless steel instead of ti. I'm unsure but I think the switch internal parts are a touch different (not the switch itself).

The boot seems to be a non-standard 10mm size.

I'm not sure where one buys spares.

:)

Edit: I just checked my proto review. The reset time was an ideal 1/2 second. The final version is inexplicably long.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
This was never posted. I know there were issues with the manufactur of the final circuits. I think the factory snuck this in.

I never had access to the final product until it was released.

phosphor22

Enlightened
This was never posted. I know there were issues with the manufactur of the final circuits. I think the factory snuck this in.

I never had access to the final product until it was released.

thanks gunga - I feel certain you would have commented on a long reset time if it had been part of the prototype you reviewed early in the campaign.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
@gunga the reset time that you speak of, are you referring to the time that it takes to start back from the 1st mode after using it at other modes?

gunga

Flashaholic
Yes. That is correct. From the off state.

So use any mode. Turn the light off. After 15 seconds it will revert to moonlight. Far too long.

Sigh. It's always tricky going into production from the prototype stage. Companies just don't deliver what they promise unless you check every little detail. I blame Manker for the driver.

Last edited:

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pic of the contact board. It's a manker driver?

e863806bb50ff8e763be25b6d49f732b.jpg

msim

Enlightened
That reset time is strangely long, but I'm just happy that there is reset time. I have a bunch of older "no memory" lights that would stay primed for a higher level if the light was on for a short time, no matter how much time had passed after being turned off.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. That is correct. From the off state.

So use any mode. Turn the light off. After 15 seconds it will revert to moonlight. Far too long.

Sigh. It's always tricky going into production from the prototype stage. Companies just don't deliver what they promise unless you check every little detail. I blame Manker for the driver.
Ok, i didn't notice that previously but it seems that it is the case now.
And the heatsink looks very yellowish, more brass than copper to me. It could be due to the oxidation but it does looks like brass to me.

jashhash

Enlightened
Hi folks,
Sorry for the late reply, I have officially moved back from China to beautiful sunny California just yesterday. As far as the board, yes it was a custom design by Manker, he's one of the most talented driver makers I've ever met. As far as the copper part coming off, it's not meant to come off, it's actually thread-locked to the fin portion DO NOT TAKE IT OFF! If you untwist the copper slug it will twist/rip the positive and negative wires off the driver board and you will ruin your light. The heat sink slug has 8 slots where the s/s rods can be taken out and replaced so you don't need to take out the copper slug. The copper slug sort of looks yellowish like brass in some flashlights because it oxidized when the LED was reflow soldered to it. Heating the copper slug gives it that sort of patina.

As far as driver function. It is significantly brighter using a Lithium Ion battery when on the last turbo mode, the other modes are relatively the same. While the flashlight doesn't have memory it has a short 15 second time-out to forget the last mode and return to firefly.

Yes i agree the machining is absolutely awesome and the clip is probably my favorite feature of the firefly. I figure the light should be made for EDC and the clip had to be built to handle continuous usage.

jashhash

Enlightened
Another note about the switch boot. Only the 10 s/s prototypes had a rubber switch boot, the full production run features a titanium switch cap. The switch assembly on the production model was modified to accommodate the titanium cap and will no longer work with a rubber boot.

I may produce another light in the future but it won't be something as involved as the firefly. The firefly is too difficult to quality control from the US, especially since I will be working full time as an engineer soon. I may launch another flashlight that has a more traditional assembly though. On a positive note Manker has been watching CPF more intently than before and appears to be creating quite a few successful production models of his own which specifically cater to what members of CPF are looking for.

I just got my Firefly yesterday. Very nice looking light, ti power button is a bit wiggly and noisy. Don't like tha aspect, otherwise not bad.

Wolfy1776

Newly Enlightened
The USPS is killing me it took 5 days to travel from China to NYC. It will take another 5 days to travel to travel the last 50 miles. [emoji24]

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The USPS is killing me it took 5 days to travel from China to NYC. It will take another 5 days to travel to travel the last 50 miles. [emoji24]

IPC at JFK at times takes a very long time to process.

I asked my local letter carrier about that last month and was told that they probably only have one or two people performing the clearance job. If they're off for whatever reason, everything sits.

You'll like your light once you get it.

On the lithium battery front, Keeppower 14500 840mAh cells are too long. Efest 14500 800mAh work fine. Also, lube the threads with silicone dielectric grease. Same for the switch.