12 Volt 5 Amp Power Supply With Mini Light Bar That Draws 6 Amps

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hypothetical question here. With a 12 volt 5 amp power supply, if a mini light bar is plugged in that is rated at 6 amps, what is likely to happen? Will the mini light bar work, but just not be as bright? Will it damage the power supply?

I think it is likely to damage the power supply, unless the supply includes over-current protection.

Last edited:

BillBond

Newly Enlightened
If the power supply is current limited it will put out 5 amps.
Depends on the LED's, but my guess is they will be not as bright.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
One of several things could happen:

1) I might be current limited to 5 amps, in which case the light bar won't be as bright.
2) It might be able to put out 6 amps, but get too hot. If there's a thermal protection circuit, the lights could be on for a while, then off until the power supply cools, then on again. No thermal protection circuit? Unlikely but if so the supply could destroy itself.
3) It might put out 6 amps continuously just fine. Many supplies have a safety margin.
4) It could have fuse which just blows. If it's non-replaceable, your power supply becomes a paperweight.

DRW

Enlightened
The ad says it's not compatible with a 6 amp load several times.

It's probably not rated for 5 amps continuous duty. The ad doesn't say what that rating is.

Find a supply rated to handle 6 amps continuous. It's likely to be a 10-15 amp supply.

The previous post listed several potential problems. I'll add that the LEDs might blink.

Don't do it.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Don't do it.
Just spend a few extra on one of the other hundred Chinesium power bricks on Amazon with a 10A rating.

The OP Amazon listing is funny. Saying 5 Amp (60W) max load but then showing a picture of a power inverter (12VDC to 110VAC) as an example car accessory you could power it with. And a 12V car coffee maker. ☕️ Gotta love that Chenglish ad copy material.

Reactions: JAS

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one might be better, but I am still researching.

Schumacher Electric Corp PC-6 AC To DC Power Converter 12V

Last edited:

Ocelot808

Enlightened
This one might be better
Schumacher is a quality brand name for all things 12V related. If the light bar is exactly a 6A load then it will work just fine, since the Schumacher is rated at 70 Watts. Done deal.

However, with 12V electronics I've always practiced leaving some capacity headroom for durability's sake. Me personally I'd use a 12V supply rated at 10 Amps for a known 6 Amp load so there's less stress on the supply and 120W capacity broadens the amount of potential applications other than the light bar that you can use. Up to you. Could you post a pic of this light bar you are trying to use indoors?

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I can vouch for the fact that Astron is the gold standard for DC power supplies.

I vote for a 10 Amp supply, the SS-12.

But.... the OP was looking at a $9 Chinesium Amazon converter brick so inexpensive seems the priority. The $100 Astron is way overkill for his application. The Astron is lab/commercial grade high end stuff.

I think this is exactly what the doctor ordered, only $22. Amazon link below.

12V 10A Power Adapter 120W, DC 12V 10A Power Supply Adapter AC to DC Converter Transformer for Car Powered Device,is Suitable for LCD Monitors, LED Drivers , Car Refrigerator and car Vacuum Cleaner. https://a.co/d/63oJW7E

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ocelot808, I actually do have a 10 amp that I use in the house now to charge my Garmin Zumo XT. It works just fine for that. If I recall correctly, the Garmin Zumo XT only needs like 2 or 2.5 amps, so it seems to handle it just fine.

This will sounded kind of quirky, I know, but I use my Garmin Zumo XT on my fat bire e-bike. I run it off the internal battery, normally. So, the 10 amp 12 volt supply charges it just fine!

Ocelot808

Enlightened
JAS,

can you provide some detail and a picture of this mini light bar you are trying to power?

BTW nothing quirky about GPS navigation for an ebike.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
AWL Micro 360https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6I6fr6wUls

Product Details:
24 LEDs, each in a dedicated optic
3-Watt Philips Luxeon LEDs
26 flash patterns
9 foot power cord

Attached cigar plug with on/off and pattern selection switch
Vacuum-seal magnetic mounting bracket

Specifications: